I-Independent Television off D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishnetisforme

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
California
Channel 255 will end on 2-28-06.This has been confirmed by a CSR.Its no suprise since most off the night and morning is paid programs.I hope Sleuth goes on in its place.The CSR couldnt tell me what it would be replaced with.

BTW its not just 255. It is most of* the local i/PAX stations - they apparently didn't file for Must Carry status at the last election. Looks like 58 local stations to be pulled.

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/pax.html

(Thanx to post at DBSForums for link).

* - Edit - replaced "all" with "most of"

Last edited:
hdtvtechno said:
Lets hope for the best, bring on the full HD Resolutions & Bitrates :devil: :hungry:

Like they say "timing is everything",man would`nt that be sweet,can those channels and free up some space for the good stuff!!!!! All those in favor give us a big :up

Last edited:
It's actually not every I affiliate on D*, but about 90% of them. This definitely frees up a lot of space on spotbeams, about one channel on every major spotbeam. That means most people's locals will look better. However, it only frees up at most 3 channels on CONUS: the national feed, LA, and Chicago. I'm not even sure if LA and Chicago locals are all CONUS.

Boo. The "i" affiliate in Atlanta carries quite a few Atlanta Thrashers games. Now I have no way other than an antenna to get the games. This blanket, across-the-board decision stinks.

ChrisPC said:
However, it only frees up at most 3 channels on CONUS: the national feed, LA, and Chicago. I'm not even sure if LA and Chicago locals are all CONUS.

NONE of the Chicago locals (including the PAX affiliate) are on CONUS - they all are on spotbeams on both x-ponders 18 or 26.
I also don't believe the LA PAX feed is on CONUS, either - the only CONUS feeds, (besides the big 4) are KTLA & KCAL.

nhlfan79 said:
Boo. The "i" affiliate in Atlanta carries quite a few Atlanta Thrashers games. Now I have no way other than an antenna to get the games. This blanket, across-the-board decision stinks.

It's not across the board, that's what's odd. Several affiliates are staying on D*, including NYC, Memphis, and a few more. Apparently, most of the stations just forgot to file for must carry.

The history...

Back in 2001, PAX filed for must-carry, but did not force the issue with DirecTV until late 2002.

This forced DirecTV to offer a local PAX affiliate in each of about 45 markets.

DirecTV then forced a separate issue. DirecTV was so mad, they threatened to drop the PAX national feed on 255. PAX and DirecTV then came to an agreement that encompassed the PAX national feed and the PAX-owned local channels. This agreement supplanted the must-carry status on the local channels.

So, DirecTV has terminated their agreement with PAX, which will terminate the national channel feed and the local PAX channels.

We shall see which PAX local channels will remain unaffected. Some of them may have important sports programming, which won't be thrown to the curb.

The net result is that DirecTV will lose only one CONUS channel, the PAX national feed. They will lose almost every single PAX local channel, which will not impact any significant bandwidth since they are all on spot-beams.

The Atlanta PAX station IS going off of D* though, much to the chagrin of Thrashers fans and the three Hawks fans left in town.

My local pax:
10:00pm - It's a miracle
10:30pm until 5:30am - paid programming
5:30am until 6:00am - Feed the Children
6:00am until 6:30am - paid programming
6:30am until 7:00am - republic jobs
7:00am until 7:30am - paid programming
7:30am until 8:00am - Life Today
8:00am until 9:00am - paid programming
9:00am until 10:00am - Jim Backer show
10:00am until 5:00PM - paid programming
5:00pm until 6:00pm - shop till you drop
6:00pm until 7:00pm - family feud
7:00pm until 10:30pm - other shows

this is almost 90% paid programmming. I say good riddance.

Columbus i doesn't have near as much paid programming as other i locals or the national i. The list seems to indicate Columbus i will still be carried in the locals.

We watch it a fair amount of the time with our child since their shows like Green Acres and Mr. ED are much more family friendly than "kids" shows like "Teenage Blatant Homosexuals" and "Yu-Gi-Oh I wanna puke".

Our local I is on that list to be cut. I called WPXH this morning to ask about this and they had no clue what was going on. Now I'm considering dropping it off the cable for America One TV. They have sports, westerns, cooking, etc. why not? It is geared toward family which is a plus.

dishrich said:
NONE of the Chicago locals (including the PAX affiliate) are on CONUS - they all are on spotbeams on both x-ponders 18 or 26.
I also don't believe the LA PAX feed is on CONUS, either - the only CONUS feeds, (besides the big 4) are KTLA & KCAL.

You are correct Dishrich, KTLA IS 5, AND KCAL IS 9 and both of them will stay on the air, here in our area at least...

projectorsrule said:
Columbus i doesn't have near as much paid programming as other i locals or the national i. The list seems to indicate Columbus i will still be carried in the locals.
The Columbus PAX station is not owned by PAX, so there is no indication that this station will be leaving DirecTV.

I wish and hope E* would do the same!

Pax had a tiny value as they carried some MLB games, but I don't think that will be hapening anymore as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.