I Just Cancelled C-band Programming

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Al K

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
After 25 years with a BUD, I no longer subscribe to any programming. I plan to take down my dish, but it's going to hurt. I had subscribed to HBO, STARZ, and Showtime through my 4DTV. I now have D* and to my surprise the HD movie channels are as good or better on D* as on C-band. That said, I have never seen an HD picture as great as I get with my old UM1000A mpeg2 receiver tuned to the CBS feed. In my opinion that picture is what HD is supposed to be. It's what people describe as jumping out at you. There is nothing on the small dishes that approaches the picture quality. Even my wife notices it. Oh well, life goes on.

Why take it down? There is so much else on C band. I never run out of things to watch. Most of it is just the fun of finding things not available by any other means, even if you could sub to it.

Hmm I have seen dtv's HD lite and it pretty much sucks, I have not seen there new mpeg 4 channels though.

I sub to all the movie channels on 4dtv and everything else I watch is on dvb, still the best system for what I watch.

Let the bud sit there 6 months. NPS is quietly testing an IPTV deployment via C-band. Might end up a good alternative to pizza. Looks like it might be ready by spring.

Don't take down the BUD there will always be stuff to watch on it especially with DVB. Dish Network and Direct Tv is limited plus there HD is not HD, its HD Lite. Besides that Pizza's HD still has macroblocking and mosquito noise, It's resolution is just so so in my book. I don't call that HD.

If you take your BUD down you may regret it in 6 month's to a year. Quite a few people have been there and done that.

After 25 years with a BUD, I no longer subscribe to any programming. I plan to take down my dish, but it's going to hurt. I had subscribed to HBO, STARZ, and Showtime through my 4DTV. I now have D* and to my surprise the HD movie channels are as good or better on D* as on C-band. That said, I have never seen an HD picture as great as I get with my old UM1000A mpeg2 receiver tuned to the CBS feed. In my opinion that picture is what HD is supposed to be. It's what people describe as jumping out at you. There is nothing on the small dishes that approaches the picture quality. Even my wife notices it. Oh well, life goes on.
Dont take it down. D* maybe back to HDlite in 18 months.

In my opinion there seems to be a renewed interest in C band setups. I'm sure someone here would love to have it. Someone may even have their eye on it now.:hungry:

Hey, I am planning on comming through Phoenix in December and again in February -- if you don't want it I'll take it off your hands! You could/should decide by then to keep it up! Of course it might be a little hard to set it up on the motorhome, but I would give it a try!

Okay, You've convinced me. I'll leave it up. I didn't need much encouragement in the first place.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)