Unusual Feedhorn How would this work with 4DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That could be tricky since its using both H & V polarity with dual inputs on c band and a single servo system for ku. I don't believe the 4D is intelligent enough to do this on it's own and would require some kind of external circuit to handle this. I would forget about it and go with the methods that would easily work unless you want to play rocket scientist like I did with a servo system for c band and dual LNBF's for ku connected to my 4D. :)

All you need to make that Bullseye feed work is an external H/V (or C/Ku) switch for the C Band LNBs. There is a connection on the 4DTV box labeled CH/KV Ext for use with that switch. You still use the regular 3-wire polarity for the Ku side. The downside is there is no skew adjustment for C Band. The plus is if you are using an FTA receiver for C Band you can get horizontal or vertical signals using a DiSEqc switch regardless of which polarity the 4DTV is tuned to.

Could you wire the switch at the dish or would you need to run a third leg of coax back to the receiver and connect the switch at the receiver ?

All you need to make that Bullseye feed work is an external H/V (or C/Ku) switch for the C Band LNBs. There is a connection on the 4DTV box labeled CH/KV Ext for use with that switch. You still use the regular 3-wire polarity for the Ku side. The downside is there is no skew adjustment for C Band. The plus is if you are using an FTA receiver for C Band you can get horizontal or vertical signals using a DiSEqc switch regardless of which polarity the 4DTV is tuned to.

Your the first person I ran across that had some explanation for that port. The CH/KV port is suppose to put out 5 or12 volts if I remember right according to Motorola, when I spoke with them. They also said it was a port for future use and currently the logic didn't support it. When you look at the setup menu under lnb's there isn't a setting for c or ku band dual LNB's and the other band polorotor operation. When I checked voltage at that port I don't remember if I got a reading or not. Also it kills my ku operation when I try using the current logic. So this may be true using it the other way.

Have you tried it and seen it work? If so how did you do it? If it does work I might be able to use it for running the coax relay switch that I have for my Primestar dual LNB vs what I'm doing now.:)

Your the first person I ran across that had some explanation for that port. The CH/KV port is suppose to put out 5 or12 volts if I remember right according to Motorola, when I spoke with them. They also said it was a port for future use and currently the logic didn't support it. When you look at the setup menu under lnb's there isn't a setting for c or ku band dual LNB's and the other band polorotor operation. When I checked voltage at that port I don't remember if I got a reading or not. Also it kills my ku operation when I try using the current logic. So this may be true using it the other way.

Have you tried it and seen it work? If so how did you do it? If it does work I might be able to use it for running the coax relay switch that I have for my Primestar dual LNB vs what I'm doing now.:)

I did have that setup at one point years ago and it worked fine. The LNB Type setting I used was "C-Band and Ku-Band LNBs". This works because the CH/KV Ext port still switches between 0V and 5V when you change polarity.

I did have that setup at one point years ago and it worked fine. The LNB Type setting I used was "C-Band and Ku-Band LNBs". This works because the CH/KV Ext port still switches between 0V and 5V when you change polarity.

I'll have to try that and see if I get the +5v out on one polarity on my 922.

You should - I have a 922 and it's 5v or 0v depending on the polarity.

If this works I'll have to do some modifications to my already modified coax relay switch. I need to use the polorotor control for C band and the coax relay to change polarity on the Primestar LNBF. Im currently using a UHF remote system feeding 12 volts to a 7805 regulator which works the coax relay coil. I'll have to eliminate the 7805 and feed the 5v in from the 4DTV. I modded the relay to pass the LNB power already so that won't be an issue. Nice project to play with when it starts to get colder outside.

Thanks for the input. :)

Would you need to run a third coax wire from the dish to the receiver?

Where would you obtain the correct switch?

Thanks

:eureka: I tried today to get the 922 to work with my 5 volt coax relay. Although the port on the 922 was putting out 5v (with no load) in H and 0v in V it did not have enough current and voltage to energize the coil of my relay. Under load it would be pulled down to 4 vdc. :( So it's back to the drawing board. Im probably going to have to design and build a transistor switch that draws next to nothing to power my coax relay to use that port.

A project for another day and time.

Would you need to run a third coax wire from the dish to the receiver?

Where would you obtain the correct switch?

Thanks

You would need 2 coax's to the switch and one to the LNB input on the 922.

Finding a switch may be a headache, Im using a 5 volt (modified by me) 950 to 1450 mhz RF coax relay from 1989, that I acquired from an engineer at a tv station.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)