This is likely 5G, right?

Martyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Annandale, VA
In the last few months, I've been suffering a lot of break-up on Intelsat 21 (58W) 4080V. I keep getting tiling like this. It happens to varying degrees at least once a minute. The signal meter shows a strong signal +14dB and I've peaked the dish but it persists.

I'm using one of the Titanium dual-output Performance Plus LNBs. I had one of the earlier models and swapped that out for this one.

Some of the lower frequency transponders, like 3840V, are continuously pixelated. Other transponders suffer the same break up but 4080V is the one I am interested in.

Are there next steps to take here or additional filtering that can be added? I presume anything post LNB is not going to help a whole lot so are there alternative LNBs that might be more successful?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

1702417666829.png

In the last few months, I've been suffering a lot of break-up on Intelsat 21 (58W) 4080V. I keep getting tiling like this. It happens to varying degrees at least once a minute. The signal meter shows a strong signal +14dB and I've peaked the dish but it persists.

I'm using one of the Titanium dual-output Performance Plus LNBs. I had one of the earlier models and swapped that out for this one.

Some of the lower frequency transponders, like 3840V, are continuously pixelated. Other transponders suffer the same break up but 4080V is the one I am interested in.

Are there next steps to take here or additional filtering that can be added? I presume anything post LNB is not going to help a whole lot so are there alternative LNBs that might be more successful?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

View attachment 167145
Move your dish behind a garage or building, so that the direction you need to point at that sat, is blocked by a wall that blocks the 5g signal. You can probably figure out where it is coming from azimuth-wise, by looking up cell tower maps.

Alternatively, you might be able to build a small mesh radar-type fence, that'll also block the signal, but hopefully that the dish can see "over".

Could be 5G. Might be able to eliminate it with the new RED LNBFs that Titanium is selling. He's going to be selling the BLUE LNBFs sometime in the future that will have a smaller bandwidth. If you can easily move your dish to where a structure will block wherever the 5G is coming from that might eliminate your problem but that might be a bit more expensive than trying the new 5G RED LNBFs. Or you can try to verify what is causing the problem first by using a spectrum analyzer if you have access to one.

Yes, this breakup is the result of the transitional N77 high band 5G interference as the new band range is being rolled out. Did some testing at a SatelliteGuys member's home in the greater Sacramento area last week and we observed new 5G carriers active up to 3890 MHz. These 5G frequencies are within the bandpass of the C138 and C238 standard and "Performance Plus" models. Time has arrived to begin the transition to the Blue Filter Band Pass Filters.

We have been seeing these new N77 High Band 5G band services launched over the past few months. Most transponders targeting the CONUS and Canadian footprints are now relocated above 4000 MHz. Only a few transponders still need to be moved. The final 5G frequency activation with frequencies up to 3980 MHz will be launched at the end of December. This will end the 5G repack.

The Blue Filter type Titanium Satellite C140 and C240 models attenuate frequencies below 4000 MHz (technically 3980 and lower) and pass the satellite frequencies between 4000 - 4200 MHz. We should have these on the market in January, 2024.

LNBFs convert the satellite frequencies in a block. There is nothing that can be added post conversion (in the coax line) to eliminate the interference. The 5G carriers must be attenuated prior to the LNB (Low Noise Block) frequency down-conversion.

Move your dish behind a garage or building, so that the direction you need to point at that sat, is blocked by a wall that blocks the 5g signal. You can probably figure out where it is coming from azimuth-wise, by looking up cell tower maps.

Alternatively, you might be able to build a small mesh radar-type fence, that'll also block the signal, but hopefully that the dish can see "over".

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, due to a line of very tall trees, this is the only location on the property when I-21 can be received so moving the dish is impossible.

What type of mesh might work? The nearest cell tower is behind the dish and I might try a fence there.

Yes, this breakup is the result of the transitional N77 high band 5G interference as the new band range is being rolled out. Did some testing at a SatelliteGuys member's home in the greater Sacramento area last week and we observed new 5G carriers active up to 3890 MHz. These 5G frequencies are within the bandpass of the C138 and C238 standard and "Performance Plus" models. Time has arrived to begin the transition to the Blue Filter Band Pass Filters.

We have been seeing these new N77 High Band 5G band services launched over the past few months. Most transponders targeting the CONUS and Canadian footprints are now relocated above 4000 MHz. Only a few transponders still need to be moved. The final 5G frequency activation with frequencies up to 3980 MHz will be launched at the end of December. This will end the 5G repack.

The Blue Filter type Titanium Satellite C140 and C240 models attenuate frequencies below 4000 MHz (technically 3980 and lower) and pass the satellite frequencies between 4000 - 4200 MHz. We should have these on the market in January, 2024.

LNBFs convert the satellite frequencies in a block. There is nothing that can be added post conversion (in the coax line) to eliminate the interference. The 5G carriers must be attenuated prior to the LNB (Low Noise Block) frequency down-conversion.

Thanks Brian,

I will try one of those when they are available. Any idea when roughly in January they should be on the site?

Anything slightly smaller than the wavelength of the 5g C-band broadcast, Which means about the same size holes as a MESH satellite dish.

That makes sense, although it makes me think the cell tower behind the dish is less likely to be the problem because the dish would block the signal from reaching the LNB, unless it's reflecting off something. But the house is in front of the dish so that should block too. This could be a lot of experimenting!

I thought I was having 5g problems, though I was sure there was no 5g out here. It acted just like the way people describe 5g interference. Periodic breakup despite good quality numbers. I had checked cables, LNBs, everything, even tried one from Titanium.

Turned out my FTA box wasn’t putting out enough power for the LNB or even the multiswitch to run right.

That might be something to check. The voltage available at the dish. Before spending money on parts. I put a splitter in the line so I could check voltage while connected to the LNB or switch as well, basically a load test.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I thought I was having 5g problems, though I was sure there was no 5g out here. It acted just like the way people describe 5g interference. Periodic breakup despite good quality numbers. I had checked cables, LNBs, everything, even tried one from Titanium.

Turned out my FTA box wasn’t putting out enough power for the LNB or even the multiswitch to run right.

That might be something to check. The voltage available at the dish. Before spending money on parts. I put a splitter in the line so I could check voltage while connected to the LNB or switch as well, basically a load test.

Thanks. I'll double check that although I've tried too receivers and do live in a suburban area, so I reckon it's 5G. Good reminder to check the basics though!

Reactions: wagonman76
Thanks. I'll double check that although I've tried too receivers and do live in a suburban area, so I reckon it's 5G. Good reminder to check the basics though!
From what I've read, some of the 5g repeaters are very small, and hung on power poles in some neighborhoods. So, they aren't always ONLY on normal cell towers.

Reactions: FTA4PA