5G Interference on all Transponders

Captain Midnight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Greers Ferry, Arkansas
I believe the 5G interference has finally caught up with me. Since 5G started, I have only had issues with 3.7GHz feeds. Oddly, I could even lock a 3.425GHZ channel on 115w without any interference. But just yesterday I found out I cannot watch anything on 113w-135w without severe interference on the entire band. Even the upper frequency transponders. I get maybe 3 seconds of clean signal between the dropouts. On 97w-105w, dropouts are only about every 30-40 seconds. 91w is working fine. I guess this shouldn't be a surprise after Verizon announced they were turning up power on their 5G on July 1st.

Anyone else experience this interference in the upper transponders? Did anything help?

I believe the 5G interference has finally caught up with me. Since 5G started, I have only had issues with 3.7GHz feeds. Oddly, I could even lock a 3.425GHZ channel on 115w without any interference. But just yesterday I found out I cannot watch anything on 113w-135w without severe interference on the entire band. Even the upper frequency transponders. I get maybe 3 seconds of clean signal between the dropouts. On 97w-105w, dropouts are only about every 30-40 seconds. 91w is working fine. I guess this shouldn't be a surprise after Verizon announced they were turning up power on their 5G on July 1st.

Anyone else experience this interference in the upper transponders? Did anything help?
Your description is typical for the 5G N77 interference.

Minor satellite signal corruption errors are corrected by the FEC, until a point where the error correction is no longer aequate. This results in loss of signal until the FEC gathers enough signal redundancy to once again decode the transport stream.

The terrestrial signal does not only affect the specific carrier frequency. A strong terrestrial cellular signal overloads the block frequency conversion process and the affects satellite signals within the entire band pass frequency range.

Depending on the severity of the terrestrial interference, you may find the free filtered LNBF you are requesting from the classifed ad posted by N6BY to not address the interference. You may need to install a different filtered LNBF or a mechanical inline filter with increased attenuation outside of the band pass range. Might even need to physically block the terrestrial signals from reaching the reflector or feed. Several other SatelliteGuys Forum threads on this.

Your description is typical for the 5G N77 interference.

Minor satellite signal corruption errors are corrected by the FEC, until a point where the error correction is no longer aequate. This results in loss of signal until the FEC gathers enough signal redundancy to once again decode the transport stream.

The terrestrial signal does not only affect the specific carrier frequency. A strong terrestrial cellular signal overloads the block frequency conversion process and the affects satellite signals within the entire band pass frequency range.

Depending on the severity of the terrestrial interference, you may find the free filtered LNBF you are requesting from the classifed ad posted by N6BY to not address the interference. You may need to install a different filtered LNBF or a mechanical inline filter with increased attenuation outside of the band pass range. Might even need to physically block the terrestrial signals from reaching the reflector or feed. Several other SatelliteGuys Forum threads on this.
That is what I started wondering about after discovering the "performance plus" thread. The issue is that the interference is likely coming at the dish nearly head on when I am facing the western side of the arc. I need to verify the source, but I know this tower is 5G active. If it's from a 5G home hotspot, I may be SOL.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230706-215850.png
    Screenshot_20230706-215850.png
    904.6 KB · Views: 120
...Depending on the severity of the terrestrial interference, you may find the free filtered LNBF you are requesting from the classifed ad posted by N6BY to not address the interference. You may need to install a different filtered LNBF or a mechanical inline filter with increased attenuation outside of the band pass range. Might even need to physically block the terrestrial signals from reaching the reflector or feed. Several other SatelliteGuys Forum threads on this.
Agreed. With strong interference I think you need the Performance Plus version. That's what I am using now.

Reactions: Captain Midnight
Agreed. With strong interference I think you need the Performance Plus version. That's what I am using now.
I'm about ready for a Blue version. Nothing I watch now is under 4GHz except for the FTA Weather Channel on 127w.

I'd still be willing to take a chance on your free one listed on the classified page. Just to trial and error things a bit. I don't have a TinySA that covers above the 900mhz band.

Reactions: flody1
I am sorry I never shared an update. I installed a performance plus C238 and have been satisfied with the results. It has been able to eliminate all interference until I noticed an issue with 2 transponders using 3940MHz. Both are scrambled, so it is not a problem but I found it odd that they both are now acting out after previously showing stable signals. I'm referring to 3940V on 103w and 3940H on 127w.

Now I have noticed signals under 4.0ghz are being wiped out, even with the performance plus model. The FTA Weather Channel on 3980H at 127w is now unwatchable. I'll do more surfing the arc to see, but this seems a bit early for 5G to take over this bandwidth, no? I was expecting until winter to keep my Weather Channel...

Terrestrial usage of frequencies ranging between 3780 - 3980 MHz is not licensed in the US until December 2023 at the earliest. I expect to see a delay with the FAA to further delay the implementation second phase.

At this time, I would only expect interference in this range if the terrestrial source is exceptionally strong or near by in direct line of sight. In extreme terrestrial interference situations, the dish may need to be shielded from direct line of sight and/or installing a feedhorn with inline waveguide BPF and LNBF. Expensive, but might be the only option for downlink locations with direct line of sight interference from the terrestrial source(s).

Reactions: Captain Midnight
Terrestrial usage of frequencies ranging between 3780 - 3980 MHz is not licensed in the US until December 2023 at the earliest. I expect to see a delay with the FAA to further delay the implementation second phase.

At this time, I would only expect interference in this range if the terrestrial source is exceptionally strong or near by in direct line of sight. In extreme terrestrial interference situations, the dish may need to be shielded from direct line of sight and/or installing a feedhorn with inline waveguide BPF and LNBF. Expensive, but might be the only option for downlink locations with direct line of sight interference from the terrestrial source(s).
I haven't been able to find any nearby source of interference. This just started when Verizon announced they were going "full power" on 5G, whatever that actually means. The new LNBF had it whipped just until the last week. Have I mentioned that I HATE 5G?? My closest cell tower is 2 miles away to my north. I haven't spotted any stealth 5G C band transceivers on any utility poles.

I haven't been able to find any nearby source of interference. This just started when Verizon announced they were going "full power" on 5G, whatever that actually means. The new LNBF had it whipped just until the last week. Have I mentioned that I HATE 5G?? My closest cell tower is 2 miles away to my north. I haven't spotted any stealth 5G C band transceivers on any utility poles.
Maybe Verizon has some out of spec transmitters out there? Try to report it to their engineering team, and see if that's any help. At the minimum, maybe they can determine why your dish location is so susceptible, and that will allow you to figure out a solution beyond abandoning your dish.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I just started getting major 5G interference when pointing west on one of my C-band dishes but is OK looking east. This antenna has the Titanium C138. My other antenna does not have 5G filtering and it is performing poorly across the arc. Not happy. My wife uses the antenna with the C138 but it doesn't help on 113W. I may have to see about getting a streaming package to make her happy again. I was going to replace my unfiltered LNBF with a C138 but since it's not helping with the Canadian satellites I'll have to look for alternatives.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to locate the source of my 5G interference either. But the C138 Performance Plus works fine to eliminate it.

... I'm thinking that the 5G interference is coming from a location closer than the 4G tower, because my 4G signal strength here is only 1-2 bars.

I'm with a smaller carrier called Viaero but they haven't turned on their 5G service yet. Verizon is the only other major carrier here so someone there must have flipped the switch to turn on their 5G or they have substantially increased their transmitter power.

I just started getting major 5G interference when pointing west on one of my C-band dishes but is OK looking east. This antenna has the Titanium C138. My other antenna does not have 5G filtering and it is performing poorly across the arc. Not happy. My wife uses the antenna with the C138 but it doesn't help on 113W. I may have to see about getting a streaming package to make her happy again. I was going to replace my unfiltered LNBF with a C138 but since it's not helping with the Canadian satellites I'll have to look for alternatives.
Are you using the original C138 or the new C138 Performance Plus model? The new upgraded models display a "Performance Plus" sticker on the giftbox and the product label inside the feedhorn will have a serial number starting with 23.

The Performance Plus models retain the 3800-4200 MHz pass-through, but significantly attenuate the N77 carriers. A major improvement over the original filtered C138 and C238 models.

Last edited:
Are you using the original C138 or the new C138 Performance Plus model? The new upgraded models display a "Performance Plus" sticker on the giftbox and the product label inside the feedhorn will have a serial number starting with 23.

The Performance Plus models retain the 3800-4200 MHz pass-through, but significantly attenuate the N77 carriers. A major improvement over the original filtered C138 and C238 models.
It's not the "Performance Plus" version. I didn't remove the LNBF to check for serial numbers. I bought this LNBF in April this year. I suppose you can confirm this. If I need to upgrade, let me know and I'll get the order out today.

Last edited:
The Performance Plus models just became available in July. Original models are still being sold. Shop carefully and take note of the product description.
OK. I ordered 2 directly from Titanium. I wish I could afford faster delivery service. :( I hope it fixes my problem.

Last edited: