I just signed up for Charter Spectrum TV Choice streaming again.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
This still isn't my primary TV provider. That's Dish Network. I happen to be "moved" to the Twin Cities, MN with Dish and they are having a channel dispute with O & O Fox channels including the Twin Cities KMSP (Fox) and its sister station WFTC (which is a MyNetworkTV affiliate), and by having Spectrum TV Choice I can get KMSP (but sadly not WFTC) with my subscription (even though I mainly get a Rochester, MN market). But believe it or not, that happens to be a very small reason that I signed up for Spectrum TV Choice. One reason I signed up for it was to get TV Land and Oxygen in HD. (You can pick 10 cable channels.) I also wanted some extra On-Demand channels from the Disney stations (Disney Channel, Disney XD, and Disney Junior) as well as getting Disney XD and Disney Junior in HD. I also picked BBC World News (especially so I can get it in HD) and cancelled the News Pack with Dish Network since I only could gain that one channel with the News Pack. I also wanted to be able to watch more channels when there's bad weather out.

Here's the list of the ten channels I picked from greatest to least...

1. Fox News Channel
2. Fox Business Network
3. TV Land
4. Oxygen
5. Cartoon Network
6. Disney XD
7. Disney Channel
8. Freeform
9. Disney Junior
10. BBC World News

Here's the list of the ten channels I picked from greatest to least...

1. Fox News Channel
2. Fox Business Network
3. TV Land
4. Oxygen
5. Cartoon Network
6. Disney XD
7. Disney Channel
8. Freeform
9. Disney Junior
10. BBC World News

#1 was the 1st I Removed!

All cable news is crap.
Cable or local, all news is fake to a degree. I actually picked BBC World News in my package to get a variety and not have to pay extra to get it with Dish. (I was going to get Spectrum TV Choice anyways.) I think BBC World News is fake news, but as with CNN and others, I think it's important to hear all sides. I even think Fox News is fake at times.

Reactions: gabewinches
Cable or local, all news is fake to a degree. I actually picked BBC World News in my package to get a variety and not have to pay extra to get it with Dish. (I was going to get Spectrum TV Choice anyways.) I think BBC World News is fake news, but as with CNN and others, I think it's important to hear all sides. I even think Fox News is fake at times.

Just to be clear, I don't think the mainstream cable news channels (including Fox) or the evening news shows are reporting fake news stories as part of their news coverage. The problem is the news reporting light on details on these channels/broadcasts. To add to that, they have tons of opinion shows which people accept as news, when it isn't. All cable news opinion shows are is a dose of dopamine to the brain in a fit of confirmation bias IMHO.

In their attempts to distill news content into digestible stories a couple of minutes or less, they remove all nuance and, not uncommonly, balance of perspectives. I prefer to read my news, usually online, from a variety of sources which I know I can trust to provide a detailed yet broad perspective on whatever the topic is. I only use cnn.com, msnbc.com, and foxnews.com to read headlines because I know the actual news stories on those sites tend to be useless to application of critical thought.

If I had unlimited time, I'd read The Economist in its entirety. I've found nothing better.

Guess you prefer hate and fake news.

I’ve learned enough not to discuss politics here, so go on believing what you want to believe. But no, I don’t “hate” anybody. Even people like Don Lemon I don’t hate. I just think he’s a little misguided.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: david_jr
Curious Edison how you are doing with the Spectrum TV Choice with internet? What were the actual costs compared to what you were promised. Spectrum Fiber to the home is coming here within 2 months. All the lines have been run in front of the house and I was told by one of the line guys the other day that it should be on line within 2 months. So, we will be keeping DISH, but plan to leave our DSL for Spectrum Internet. So how has the service been and what are the real costs if you don't mind?

Curious Edison how you are doing with the Spectrum TV Choice with internet? What were the actual costs compared to what you were promised. Spectrum Fiber to the home is coming here within 2 months. All the lines have been run in front of the house and I was told by one of the line guys the other day that it should be on line within 2 months. So, we will be keeping DISH, but plan to leave our DSL for Spectrum Internet. So how has the service been and what are the real costs if you don't mind?

It’s about $45 for my TV portion in which I also added HBO and Cinemax and cloud DVR. I can’t remember what it was without those premiums and DVR. Plus currently I’m on a two-year promotion, so it’ll eventually go up slightly.

It’s about $45 for my TV portion in which I also added HBO and Cinemax and cloud DVR. I can’t remember what it was without those premiums and DVR. Plus currently I’m on a two-year promotion, so it’ll eventually go up slightly.

Thanks what is the internet speed that comes attached? HOw is the service?

Thanks what is the internet speed that comes attached? HOw is the service?

The internet service works pretty well. I believe their speeds vary by location. I personally have slightly over 100 mbps, but I believe their internet speeds vary from 30 mbps (if I’m not mistaken) to 1 Gbps (of which I currently can’t afford). I pay around $70 for my 100 mbps internet.

Reactions: david_jr
Spectrum Internet Assist - 30 x 4 (Must meet low income qualifications) for $14.99
Spectrum Internet - 100 x 10 or 200 x 10 (Depending on area) for $69.99
Spectrum Internet Ultra - 400 x 20 for $94.99
Spectrum Internet Gig - 940 x 35 for $129.99

Speeds are overprovisioned by 20%. For whatever reason, in the limited areas Charter offers fiber to the home, the speed tiers are the same as copper, with the same limited upload.

Reactions: edisonprime
The internet service works pretty well. I believe their speeds vary by location. I personally have slightly over 100 mbps, but I believe their internet speeds vary from 30 mbps (if I’m not mistaken) to 1 Gbps (of which I currently can’t afford). I pay around $70 for my 100 mbps internet.

Their internet is the only thing they do well...

Reactions: edisonprime
Their internet is the only thing they do well...

This really depends on your use of their products. I have a basic Spectrum package with CableCard for my TiVo, and soon will add a second TiVo to the mix. The TV service here is fine. It rarely goes out absent a storm that knocks out the line running from the headend, they have more HD channels than I get on DirecTV, and I can record to the TiVo and archive to Bu-Ray discs just like I could back in the good old VHS days and early days of DVD recorders. The HD PQ is as good as DirecTV in my experience since they went "all digital" and the SD channels are much better than DirecTV's are.

I'll agree Charter's boxes they provide could use a major improvement. I began subscribing to DirecTV back when you had to go out and buy the boxes in retail stores at full price, and still remember when you got the first DVR free but had to buy the others outright. I had no problem buying my TiVo with Lifetime service because I knew over the lifetime of the product it would save me $$ and ultimately deliver better services.

internet speeds are no where near what they say

My speeds are exactly what they say

9389985424.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts