i just want 1 HD reciever!

whiteandnerdy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Western North Carolina
ok, so right now we've got a 322 dual tuner reciever and a 625 dual tuner DVR, so we have TV in 4 rooms.....what would it take and how much would it cost to just have one HD reciever/DVR in addition to the existing system? thank you

EDIT:

or what about keeping the 625 and replacing the 322 for 2 HD tv's (or a dual tuner with only one HD output maybe?

Well If you want to add and have 5 rooms of service. You Have to BUY another receiver.
A 211 is Around $170-200
A 612 HD DVR Single room Is around $300-349
If you want to Drop your 322 and trade it for a 722k
That will run you at most $125 to lease.
That will also come with $7-$12 per month in fees depending on your base pack.
Or Trade the 322 for a 222 for $7 per month. Thats about $75 to lease ,But its not a DVR. Thats 1 room HD and 1 SD.

Well If you want to add and have 5 rooms of service. You Have to BUY another receiver.
A 211 is Around $170-200
A 612 HD DVR Single room Is around $300-349
If you want to Drop your 322 and trade it for a 722k
That will run you at most $125 to lease.
That will also come with $7-$12 per month in fees depending on your base pack.
Or Trade the 322 for a 222 for $7 per month. Thats about $75 to lease ,But its not a DVR. Thats 1 room HD and 1 SD.

Is the 612 a better box then the 622?

I believe most of us would resoundingly say, currently, the ViP722k is better than the ViP722, which is better than the ViP622, which is resoundingly better than the ViP612. None are bad receivers, but that's the lineup.

Agree. The 612 is E* worst Receiver. But still better then D* HR's;)
I'm curious why you say that. I have a 612 and haven't had much problem with it (some OTA reception early but the local station changed channels and all is better). I can record two satellite programs and one OTA. Granted, there's no 2nd tuner output, but since my 2nd TV is HD, that wouldn't really help me either.

So, what would I get if I go to the 622/722/722k? And I'm guessing there's a price difference?

I'm curious why you say that. I have a 612 and haven't had much problem with it (some OTA reception early but the local station changed channels and all is better). I can record two satellite programs and one OTA. Granted, there's no 2nd tuner output, but since my 2nd TV is HD, that wouldn't really help me either.

So, what would I get if I go to the 622/722/722k? And I'm guessing there's a price difference?

The 722k is the one currently in production. If an order calls for a 622 and a reman 622 is unavilable, you get a 722 if that is available, or a 722k if that is available. Cost depends. Go to your online account and check hardware upgrades. It could be from $25 to $200. Somtime you can bargain with CSRs especially if your considered a good customer. Is that what you wanted to know?

The Issues I had with the 612, Was Hard drive bugs, Like dropouts on playback, and random delays between channel changes that lasted between 10-15 seconds. It reminded me too much of my Directv days using the HR series.:rant:
The 622 Had some HDMI issues , But I've had my since July 2007 and Never had one issue to date. I think the 622 is better then the 722k as far as glitches goes.
722k Bugs are
Random remote issues while using the IR remote number 1, Will not respond upon any commands, Unless you reboot. I think that has been since addressed with a software update, But I still use the TV 2 in RF Single mode anyway. So I don't care.
Also some random playback issues as well, Like a distorted playback picture while I'm recording something else at the same time.
This doesn't happed often, But I can recall 3 times in the last 8 months.
My 622 has never caused me any problems what so ever.
If I were you the 722k is the way to go , with the larger Hard Drive then the 612 and 622. Plus 2 rooms of service, make the dual rooms receivers a no brainer. The SD tv 2 PQ is still better then your basic cable, Granted its not HD ,but its by far Poor in quality.

I'm not looking to upgrade, I'm happy with what I have now (one 612 and one 211).

Like I said, I haven't had problems with my 612 (almost a year now), so was wondering what features the 622/722/722k offer the 612 doesn't.

Granted, there's the 2nd room, but that doesn't help me (my 2nd tv is HD... hence the 211). Does the 722 offer a OTA tuner? I thought that's what the 722k does?

Hard drive space could be a plus, but the only time I've gotten to under 10 hours is when my daughter recorded 20 episodes of "Ned's Declassified" and 10 episodes of "iCarly", etc.:eek:

I'm not trying to say the 612 is better than the others, but want to know what I'm missing.

I'm not trying to say the 612 is better than the others, but want to know what I'm missing.
Your missing Larger Hard drive , Picture in Picture,and interactive games features, and the ability to DVR 2 rooms of service for the same price in monthly fees as the Vip 612. Other then that most VIP HD DVRs are about the same.
The OTA feature with the 722k from what I hear can record 2 shows while recording 2 satellite at the same time.
But OTA isn't an option for me so, it really doesn't matter to me.

If I may piggyback on this thread, I have many of the same questions. I'm planning an upgrade to HD. I have the 625 dual DVR and a 301 for the third room. What Dish is offering in an upgrade is the 612 and (I think) a 211. TV 1 (SD) will become TV 2 and TV2 (HD) will become TV 1 in the upgrade. The third room has HD so I think the 211 will go there. We do not use OTA and do not do gaming. We only record some weekly shows to replay when its convenient to watch. We also record several weeks programming while on extended absenses. So far, 100 hours of recording time has been adequate but of course we haven't been recording HD programming.

What I am understanding in this thread is that I would be better off insisting on the 722K for the dual tuner DVR and the 211 for the third room. Am I correct in this?

If you have had service over a year and want to upgrade, Dish should make you a deal on at least one of your recievers for around $100 or so for the upgrade receiver and Dish. It depends on how much programming you have. If you have been a multiyear customer you might be able to swing both receivers upgraded. The normal is 1 upgrade per year.