What "arc" near Houston, Texas? Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

old corps

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 13, 2005
Mid-Michigan
I recently sold a 311 receiver I owned to a nice lady in a small town NE of Houston (Liberty). I did try to explain to her that it would only work on the WA. I guess she really didn't know what system she was on and with her being in Texas I was "sure" it would be WA. Anyhoo, when she tried to activate it they told her that only a 211 or 211K would work with what she has for her older analog bedroom TV. Of course, I'd given her the "R" and "S" #'s before she even received it thinking she could have the new smart card on the way and they never said anything about the 311 not being compatable.
Now I'm GUESSING she is, in fact, on EA and therefore has to have all Mpeg4 receivers. I sent her an email explaining how to determine this and haven't got a reply yet. Just asking of anyone living in that area what "arc" are you on and any reason other than LOS issues someone in that area would have an EA dish?:confused:
I'll send her back her $$$, no problem but hope that the info the CSR gave her is incorrect. Sorry for the L O N G boring post...........:rolleyes::eek::) Thanks for any input!

Ed

Thanks for the replies and the link. I'll see what she finds out after doing a signal strength check. Maybe because of LOS she's on EA. :rolleyes::rant::eek:
Appreciate your help!

Ed

Well, she just called me back and she IS on WESTERN Arc. From the description of her dish/lnb's sounds like a 1000.2 dish. Hopefully when she calls Dish again she'll get someone that knows what they're talking about.:rolleyes:
ANY reason a 311 wouldn't work for her that I'm ignorant of?:confused:She does have the $10 HD pack but I'm "sure" that she should be able to view all of the SD channels. I was using it when I 1st got HD.

Ed

The system is probably trying to make her for an upgrade since it is an EA area. She'll have to find the CSR that will activate. Make sure she says it is working, hooked up and viewing the preview channels. No tech required.

I recently (a month ago or so) activated a 311 on a western arc setup for my grandma with no issues. I explained to the rep that I had the receiver hooked up and am watching channel 101.

No issues them adding it...and I am in a dual arc city (Minneapolis)

Thanks again for the responses. I know the 311 came with a smart card built in but it DOES need to have a new smart card to be activated, correct? It hasn't been used in a couple of years.

Ed

Iceberg-
She's already got the coax run from the dish to the room where she wants to use the 311. If she hooks it up will she get the "preview" channels now, before a new smart card is used?

Ed

Last edited:
There is no map or line. It is not really an east or west thing. Go to TheList link in my signature. If the locals are located on 61.5/72/77 then they are an eastern arc city. Some cities are east and western arc. Gives the installer two line of sight options instead of idle satellite spot beam bandwidth just sitting there.

Iceberg-
She's already got the coax run from the dish to the room where she wants to use the 311. If she hooks it up will she get the "preview" channels now, before a new smart card is used?

Ed

depends if it got a software update. I would do this
-hook up the receiver and run the check switch
-let it download the info (guide, etc)
-check software version...should be 4.38. If its not, then power off and let it grab that newest software

With the old card you **might** be able to see 101 & 213. Depends on if Dish disabled it with the "old card no TV at all" theory. You will need the purple card

Ice-
Should she be able to do this BEFORE it's added to her account and before the new smart card?:confused:
Thanks again!

Ed

yep. Otherwise it will take longer.

The software upgrade and switch check etc will work if the receiver is activated or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)