GEOSATpro I just wanted to say that the µHD rocks!

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
I got a µHD a few months ago and it's been 100% rock solid reliable and absolutely dependable all the way, every day.

I have it recording Harveytoons every day, twice a day, every weekend it records Wolfman Mac and Offbeat Cinema and 5 nights a week it records Bewitched and I Dream of Jeanie..

It never misses a lick. I just leave it powered up all the time and it does it's thing.

I'm stockpiling the Harveytoons to keep. I have a new Super Mac (extreme, over the top, wicked bad a$$ Mac) coming in late next week and I'll start cranking those toons through handbrake to convert them into MKV files. Later on I'll edit out the commercials to save even more space. They go from 500mb down to 130mb with commercials and cleaned up they are like 80mb, more or less.

I sort through the RTV saturday night stuff and keep like 1% of it and discard the rest after viewing. Same with Bewitched and IDoJ. I already have all those on DVD so I don't need to keep them, I just watch them when I'm bored then erase them.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you Brian for the really great opportunity you gave me on that tuner, I'm so very impressed now. And I started out a big skeptic. Actually I had written the µHD off and wasn't even going to consider it until you offered such a great deal on one. :)

It's a great tuner that's A1 dependable and I would totally recommend it to anyone and everyone.

The µHD is GOOD STUFF.....

Thanks guys! :)

Glad to hear your enjoyment of the microHD. Same here mine has been going for months and I never have a problem out of it.

For me the fact that It is an amazing HD satellite DVR is a plus as I mostly use it to play my mp4 collection. Now If It could somehow save my Tivo recordings:D, well I guess that is what a vcr, computer, DVD recorder is for.:)

Hi Dee_Ann,

Good to hear from you again!

Very glad to hear that you are "rockin" with your uHD! Just received mine a few days ago, but I won't have the time or opportunity to get it set up for a couple of months, maybe. Depends on the weather and my work schedule. I had a heck of a lot of stuff going on during the past year and it really took a lot away from my FTA hobby time. But, I'll be back at it full force this spring for sure!

RADAR

I know it's not the point of your thread, but let me beg you to only run through Handbrake one time.
Don't re-squeeze what ya already squoze. :)

And never convert to "variable frame rate".
(might be default, and a damned poor one)

I try to avoid re-encoding any compressed video if at all possible. Often, problems with a stream can be fixed by re-muxing instead of re-encoding. Re-encode only if the resolution or codec must be changed.

Hi Dee_Ann,

Good to hear from you again!

Very glad to hear that you are "rockin" with your uHD! Just received mine a few days ago, but I won't have the time or opportunity to get it set up for a couple of months, maybe. Depends on the weather and my work schedule. I had a heck of a lot of stuff going on during the past year and it really took a lot away from my FTA hobby time. But, I'll be back at it full force this spring for sure!

RADAR

Thank you. :)

You'll like the µHD.. It has performed flawlessly for me for several months now. It's basic but very functional and dependable. I'm quite pleased with it.
I too have been side tracked from this hobby as well. Health issues, family, relationship, etc.. When it rains, it pours..
I'm struggling to get over the hump and get back on track again. There are many things I want to do, I just haven't had any ambition or motivation to do it.
I'm tired of sitting in the mire. Spring is here, once I can get back to my gardening I'll feel more motivated to do other things as well..

:)

Thank you. :)

You'll like the µHD.. It has performed flawlessly for me for several months now. It's basic but very functional and dependable. I'm quite pleased with it.

Awesome! This is what a FTA (or any receiver) should be: Functional, dependable, versatile, inexpensive, basic (without being cheap or lacking) and USER FRIENDLY of course.

I too have been side tracked from this hobby as well. Health issues, family, relationship, etc.. When it rains, it pours..
I'm struggling to get over the hump and get back on track again. There are many things I want to do, I just haven't had any ambition or motivation to do it.
I'm tired of sitting in the mire. Spring is here, once I can get back to my gardening I'll feel more motivated to do other things as well..

:)

I really comprehend what you are saying! WOW! Maybe I am empathic?
Hummh?.... No, I guess I just have the same scenario of troubles here, too! ;)
But, SPRING and summer do make a great difference for a person's attitude, I believe that very much!
It is the sunlight on the skin converting specific chemicals, compounds and vitamins to to other compounds and vitamins which make you "feel" happier and more motivated.
C'monnnnnnnnnnn SPRING! YES!

RADAR

Just got mine yesterday and I have to agree it friggn' ROCKS!

The only thing this box couldn't do was climb up on the shelf and hook itself up. What a breeze to operate.
My family is now firmly addicted to ku FTA. For me, the MicroHD is the new benchmark and finally replaces my CS5000.

No doubt in my mind it's the best out there!

The only thing this box couldn't do was climb up on the shelf and hook itself up. What a breeze to operate.
My family is now firmly addicted to ku FTA. For me, the MicroHD is the new benchmark and finally replaces my CS5000.

I did the same thing. My Micro replaced the CS5000

After a few months (about 5 months I think) of stellar service I have to say that I have discovered one very annoying (although minor) thing the µHD does..

I have a disk plugged into it and I have it connected to two dishes, my 10' C-band and a motorized KU dish.

For some reason the KU dish is a bit twitchy. When the wind blows the dish whips about a little and I lose signal.

If the dish has been blown and doesn't have a signal locked when it's time to start a recording, well, nothing happens.
It can't record because there's no signal. And this is where it messes up. When the scheduled, recurring event can not take place, the
µHD erases that event from it's scheduled tasks.

I have it record Harveytoons twice a day at 2pm and 10:30p, every day, 7 days a week. I also have it record Wolfman Mac and Offbeat Cinema every saturday and Laurel and Hardy every Sunday morning.

Lately we've had some wicked winds so several times a week I have to go back and recreate the scheduled events and it's quite annoying.

I took a picture of the event schedule and saved it on my tablet so when I have to fix it I can pull that photo up and reenter things.

It would be nice if you guys could fix the firmware so that it will stop erasing schedules on failed events. It would be awesome too to have an option to save recording schedules to USB and restore too of course.

I don't usually check it every day so sometimes it may go a week before I find it's messed up again and have to fix it.

That's really my only (minor) complaint about the thing. Everything else about it is just awesome! And this thing, it's not the end of the world, I mange to deal with it.

Now watch, someone will tell me there is some simple thing I can click to lock the schedules in place so they won't erase on event failure.. :eek:

Thanks! :)

Now watch, someone will tell me there is some simple thing I can click to lock the schedules in place so they won't erase on event failure.. :eek:

That erasing issue was fixed in the (I think) 3rd to the latest firmware, and I believe once a feature is introduced, all newer firmwares should also have it. Single use timers could erase, but re-occurring ones should NOT.

Yeah, here is the firmware where that was fixed: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...e-(OTA-SSU)-12-20-2012?highlight=New+firmware

What version or date of firmware are you running?

That erasing issue was fixed in the (I think) 3rd to the latest firmware, and I believe once a feature is introduced, all newer firmwares should also have it. Single use timers could erase, but re-occurring ones should NOT.

Yeah, here is the firmware where that was fixed: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...e-(OTA-SSU)-12-20-2012?highlight=New+firmware

What version or date of firmware are you running?

Oooooooooooohhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! Ok.... This is good to know.

I am not sure what the tuner is running at the moment so I took a picture of it with my iPhone (I'm lazy today).

Seems like when I first got the thing I upgraded the firmware via satellite but there was something changed about it that I didn't like so I reverted it back to the firmware that was originally on it.
Since then I haven't touched it.

Attachments

• IMG_1601.JPG
    IMG_1601.JPG
    338.6 KB · Views: 175
I agree the Micro hd is awesome.
I have had no problems with it except i had to put velcro on bottom corners to hold it down because coax was pulling it back.
It is sitting on top of my coolsat5000.
Thanks again foe such a great product.

Dee_Ann, That is original factory firmware.

If it's not broke and you like it... Don't change it.

If you would like the fixes and upgrades added since last August, you are due for an upgrade! :D

Here is a link to the USB file and upgrade notes: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...-USB-and-Satellite-Update-(OTA-SSU)-2-27-2013

Honestly, I do not remember what it was that I didn't like about the upgrade that was available at that time. But because there is a fix for the particular problem (and ONLY problem) I have found with the tuner, I'm going to take y'alls advice and upgrade it. :)

What ever trivial issue I had before was, trivial.

I'll give it a whirl later tonight and then it will probably take a week or so before we have winds strong enough to mess with the dish and mess up recordings.
Losing a recording here and there, eh.. Not the end of the world. Not having to reenter the schedules every time the wind blows, priceless.. :D

Thanks guys!! :D

edit: Oh, one question. Will I have to start everything over from scratch? I guess I'm running the oldest firmware? So I'll have to start it all over like it was a new out of the box tuner?

I can take photos of all the setup pages then bring them up on my tablet to help me start new settings if I have to. It would be nice if it would remember my settings and channels and stuff but if not, so be it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)