I like the fireworks...

Am I the only one around here who keeps older computers running and doing whatever it was I bought them for? Heck, I'd still have my first PC running W95 (with a lot of great audio and photo apps and 3D web graphics apps) had the O/S not gotten corrupted on the 8GB SD card I was using for a system disk. (Probably too many write cycles.) I have subsequently bought a real IDE SDE and it should be running again once I restore from backup. :D

Am I the only one around here who keeps older computers running
Over time Windows runs slower and slower and then people run out to buy a new computer. Then they give the old one to me. What I do is wipe the drive with DBAN. That securely and permanently erases any data on the drive. Then I install a modern Linux distribution. These include an OS that provide a "windows like" desktop, browser, e-mail client, file manager, text editor, office suite etc. Then through a network of charitable organizations I try to find a person or a family that could use a computer but cannot afford one. The refreshed computer is then donated to them. I also have a connection with a local ISP that offers heavily discounted or sometimes free internet service.

Thanks for the tip regarding the fireworks animations. I think it's cute but it was getting a little too intrusive and distracting.

Over time Windows runs slower and slower and then people run out to buy a new computer. Then they give the old one to me. What I do is wipe the drive with DBAN. That securely and permanently erases any data on the drive. Then I install a modern Linux distribution. These include an OS that provide a "windows like" desktop, browser, e-mail client, file manager, text editor, office suite etc. Then through a network of charitable organizations I try to find a person or a family that could use a computer but cannot afford one. The refreshed computer is then donated to them. I also have a connection with a local ISP that offers heavily discounted or sometimes free internet service.
Very nice of you to do that for the less fortunate. Hats off to you! :hatsoff

Reactions: Jimbo
Am I the only one around here who keeps older computers running and doing whatever it was I bought them for? Heck, I'd still have my first PC running W95 (with a lot of great audio and photo apps and 3D web graphics apps) had the O/S not gotten corrupted on the 8GB SD card I was using for a system disk. (Probably too many write cycles.) I have subsequently bought a real IDE SDE and it should be running again once I restore from backup. :D
All my computers (and peripherals) are old,cast offs,dumpsters and the curb,and free.Except the netbook I bought new back in 07?.Mostly running win7 and will keep on till it won't run no more.:biggrin

Right now I'm watching these fireworks and posting using my little Acer Aspire with Windows 7 manufactured in Jan 2012.

Reactions: TheKrell
Some years back I taught basic computing classes at a local seniors center. We took donated older computers and wiped the drives (yes, with DBAN) and walked the students through installing a Linux distribution on them that they then learned to use and maintain. After the classes, I was only aware of a few students that dropped Linux in favor of some flavor of Windows. And that was usually due to family pressure. On the "teaching old dogs new tricks" side though, about four years after she took my class, one student used her Linux equipped PC to email me photos from her 100th birthday party... :)

Reactions: TheKrell and FTA4PA
Not Me ...

Why did you resurrect Kraven's post from Jul 4, 2013? Are you aware of the fact that Bob is now deceased? If not, then I understand. If so, that is not funny. Bob was a good man with a heart of gold. I miss him.

And speaking of Kraven, what happened to him? I haven't seen him in some time...

• Sad
Reactions: NYDutch
Why did you resurrect Kraven's post from Jul 4, 2013? Are you aware of the fact that Bob is now deceased? If not, then I understand. If so, that is not funny. Bob was a good man with a heart of gold. I miss him.

And speaking of Kraven, what happened to him? I haven't seen him in some time...
Hasn't posted since February but has been here last month.

Sorry,
Didn't realize the post was that old, someone must have replied to the post or I wouldn't have seen it in the top of the threads ...

I had no issues with Bob ...