I like VOOM but DTV makes me think twice (about their new offer)

vurbano said:
wow, 6 months free...for what? espnhd, hdnet, hdnet movies, and discovery channel....
Big Fkn Deal. they can keep it.
Very true. The HD pack consists of 4 Ch's. Even though they might add to it in the near future ....its not a guarantee. I am a DTV sub that didn't sub to the HD pack. But I had HBO and Showtime through DirecTV and also CBSDT through them as well. When I heard about the 6 mth offer I did a double take. Crazy thing is ...you don't have to continue your HD pack after the free 6 mths is up. Since I don't mind committing to DirecTV for another year..my family lives on it...the 6 mths free was a no brainer. I look at it as getting HDNET and HDNET Movies for 6 mths free. Anything free is not to bad in my book.

Re Sean Mota:
"..I hope so... but again this rumor has so many deadlines that it has become ridiculous already and filling the internet with empty promises... Competition is only good for any provider and I hope that Dish gets it too but they seem to be dead about HD. There's no hope there. Right there's no compelling programming.

Again hope that the hopes of the fall do not become winter and spring...Meanwhile..."

So we are blaming DirecTV for internet rumors?
Come on.
Be a partisan for VOOM all you like, and there is obviously reason to be a VOOM fan, but why do you seem to get such a sense of satisfaction by is continually bashing DirecTV? (Especially when many of those bashings are based on the internet rumor mill, and not on what DirecTV has announced.)
I am always amazed at folks who seem to continually have to justify their own opinions by gleefuly and repeatedly bashing the opinions of others.

fredfa said:
Re Sean Mota:
"..I hope so... but again this rumor has so many deadlines that it has become ridiculous already and filling the internet with empty promises... Competition is only good for any provider and I hope that Dish gets it too but they seem to be dead about HD. There's no hope there. Right there's no compelling programming.

Again hope that the hopes of the fall do not become winter and spring...Meanwhile..."

So we are blaming DirecTV for internet rumors?
Come on.
Be a partisan for VOOM all you like, and there is obviously reason to be a VOOM fan, but why do you seem to get such a sense of satisfaction by is continually bashing DirecTV? (Especially when many of those bashings are based on the internet rumor mill, and not on what DirecTV has announced.)
I am always amazed at folks who seem to continually have to justify their own opinions by gleefuly and repeatedly bashing the opinions of others.

No bashing fredfa just what you guys report at AVS do you want me to post all the links where the deadline has been moved from March through October now; I just reprinted what you guys have printed and hope will happen. There's no bashing in my part. Just amusement that the deadline has a live of their own... :)

P.S. As I said before, I am an HDTV fanatic and I will give my $$ to whomever decides to support the most HDTV. Right now, there's very little that D* can offer me to give them my $$$.

re Sean Mota:
"...do you want me to post all the links where the deadline has been moved from March through October now What DirecTV deadline are you talking about?"

"Deadlines" posted by users at a forum?
DirecTV isn't to blame for them.
But you still blame D* for not living up to those deadlines imposed by forum users?
I can only hope your standards will stay the same as the VOOM DVR delivery date slips farther into the ether (though you have made it clear on numerous occasions that it will be far superior to DirecTV's HdTiVo.)
On the other hand, using your own standards, the HD-TiVo is available now.
And as for the gratuitous "you guys" shot -- I am a member there and a member here.
Other than that, I have no affiliation at all.
I continue to be puzzled by your attacks on others to support your opinion.
And despite your protestations, strains credulity to believe you are in the slightest bit open-minded (as you claim by writing: "....As I said before, I am an HDTV fanatic and I will give my $$ to whomever decides to support the most HDTV. Right now, there's very little that D* can offer me to give them my $$$.") when you bash D* at every opportunity, adds personal attacks to many of your anti-D* (or pro VOOM) postings, every post of yours (here AND at the AVS forum) ends with your signature:
"The assimilation has begun...resistance is FUTILE...VOOM."
Be as partisan as you like. But being honest about your partisan views wouldn't hurt. Or would it?

Again, (and to be crystal clear here) what "deadline" are you referring to (that DirecTV announced?)

OK, instead of addressing personalities, let's address facts.

1) DirecTV is very good about keeping tight lipped about changes. This is excellent (though at times frustrating) expectations management. Forum members w/ supposed inside tracks (on dozens of different forums) are not spokespeople for DirecTV.

2) Today, DirecTV has very limited HD content. I would greet the addition of BravoHD with a gigantic yawn. They do have, however, unique content in the HDnet channels in comparison to Voom. To me there is still very few shows/movies on these channels, but they did have one of my favorites recently, The Wind & the Lion, prompting me to resubscribe.

3) DirecTV does have an HD DVR. In that it is a discriminator for many. Would I rather have a networked PVR with firewire to archive DVHS, sure (I could get rid of cable then too), but for now, it one ups Voom.

4) DirecTV cheerleaders are about as accurate as Voom CSRs, meaning not very. Oct or Oct 2007, it doesn't matter until a) there's a direct company press release with facts, b) the electrons are a flying with actual content.

Let's keep things in perspective, including apples to apples, today vs conjecture, comparisons.

How is DTV or Dish going to add more HD without dropping SD? I didn't know they were launching more Sats or getting more transponders? Also the NFL Ticket games are mostly in SD right?

fredfa said:
re Sean Mota:
"...do you want me to post all the links where the deadline has been moved from March through October now What DirecTV deadline are you talking about?"

"Deadlines" posted by users at a forum?
DirecTV isn't to blame for them.
But you still blame D* for not living up to those deadlines imposed by forum users?
I can only hope your standards will stay the same as the VOOM DVR delivery date slips farther into the ether (though you have made it clear on numerous occasions that it will be far superior to DirecTV's HdTiVo.)
On the other hand, using your own standards, the HD-TiVo is available now.
And as for the gratuitous "you guys" shot -- I am a member there and a member here.
Other than that, I have no affiliation at all.
I continue to be puzzled by your attacks on others to support your opinion.
And despite your protestations, strains credulity to believe you are in the slightest bit open-minded (as you claim by writing: "....As I said before, I am an HDTV fanatic and I will give my $$ to whomever decides to support the most HDTV. Right now, there's very little that D* can offer me to give them my $$$.") when you bash D* at every opportunity, adds personal attacks to many of your anti-D* (or pro VOOM) postings, every post of yours (here AND at the AVS forum) ends with your signature:
"The assimilation has begun...resistance is FUTILE...VOOM."
Be as partisan as you like. But being honest about your partisan views wouldn't hurt. Or would it?

Again, (and to be crystal clear here) what "deadline" are you referring to (that DirecTV announced?)
I see the Directv poster boy is back, visiting us from AVS forum. Fredfa you are the King of AntiVoom venom. IMO Sean is far more fair than you have ever been. Contrary to your dribble I dont see Sean bashing D*. Only stating the facts. Your the one that comes to this forum to pick fights with moderators. No one needs to bash D*. They do it themselves with the anemic 6 or 7 HD channels they offer most users.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)