'I Love Lucy Christmas Special' To Air On CBS In December

DJdish

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
Mexico City
Christmas has come early for "I Love Lucy" fans!
CBS is bringing "I Love Lucy" back to the airwaves for the holidays. The network will air "The Christmas Episode" on Friday, Dec. 20, followed by another classic episode, "Lucy's Italian Movie" (yes, the grape stomping episode) for a special primetime holiday broadcast of one of the most beloved television shows of all time.
The "Christmas Episode" was known for decades as one of the lost episodes of "I Love Lucy" since it only aired once during the original run of the series, and was never re-broadcast in syndication or available in any form until it was found in 1989, and aired later that year on CBS.
The "The Christmas Special" and "Lucy's Italian Movie" have both been colorized (except for the flashback scenes in the "Christmas Special" which remain in the original black and white).
"I Love Lucy" will air Friday, Dec. 20 at 8 p.m. ET on CBS.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/22/i-love-lucy-christmas-special-cbs_n_4143845.html

Lucy is a prime example of talent being able to overcome what today would be a shoestring budget. They did not have elaborate sets and effects, just talented comedians.

The one thing I hated about colorization of old movies in the 80s was the color red never looked red. Even Christmas movies never looked right .

I don´t usually like colorized black & white classics, but this one looked real good, for a moment I imagined this is exactly what it would have looked like if filmed in color.

i-love-lucy-color-ftr-1024x640.jpg

Last edited:
It was amazing. I'm not overstating that the PQ looked better than some new shows look, and the color was very nicely done. It especially brought out what their clothes looked like.

Here´s a piece of trivia:

This episode was eventually nicknamed "The Lost Episode" because it was not included in the syndication package. It was not included because of its Christmas theme and because it mostly consists of flashbacks to previous episodes. This episode remained unseen until December 18, 1989 when CBS aired a colorized version.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387300/

I found this 10 minute clip, but it doesn´t look as good as the thing I watched last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
The color of the faces, especially Lucy's, is just not right. It's pasty. It looks like a tinted B&W picture. :)

It looks a lot better than the crap from the late 80s, but it still doesn't look right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)