I made the switch to D*....my first impressions.

This is so cool. I am currently checking out my FB updates through my receiver while watching TV. Ironically it took a 2 day DirecTV and former Dish sub to tell a 10+ year DirecTV sub about this feature. I had no idea this feature existed.

actually my directv was installed yesterday! 3 hour directv sub!

I just switched and the only thing I don't like is that you can only records 2 things at once instead of 3 (with ota) with dish. But I've got a tv tuner on my computer in my bedroom which is connected to my 360 in the living room which i can use media center as another dvr so it all works out. NBA League Pass on DirecTV is on a whole other level than dish though.

Please, tell us more. I want to switch but am on the fence.
Missing about 30 HD nationals that Dish has (this is the biggest one IMO), horrible SD PQ, need 2 boxes for independent viewing in 2 rooms, can only record 2 streams at once versus 4, no built-in sling, limited remote access (no DVR control, etc. yet), low-def guide.

Of course D* has many advantages which have been covered already.

Shortcomings in my opinion:

• Audio dropouts when connected through my Onkyo and Yamaha AVRs via optical or coax

• Generally slow receiver response (I have HR22s - I know the HR24 should be faster)

• Missing HD channels (the only sports I watch are on ESPN or SPEED)

• No integrated OTA tuner

• Cannot use IR and RF remotes at the same time

• I prefer the Dish guide

• I prefer the Dish remote key layout

One , two and three are deal breakers for me. I am not willing to reup for 2 years to try an HR24.

Shortcomings in my opinion:

• Audio dropouts when connected through my Onkyo and Yamaha AVRs via optical or coax

• Generally slow receiver response (I have HR22s - I know the HR24 should be faster)

• Missing HD channels (the only sports I watch are on ESPN or SPEED)

• No integrated OTA tuner

• Cannot use IR and RF remotes at the same time

• I prefer the Dish guide

• I prefer the Dish remote key layout

One , two and three are deal breakers for me. I am not willing to reup for 2 years to try an HR24.
Actually, the HR20 and H20 do have built in OTA tuners. All others can have an external OTA tuner, AM21, added via USB and OTA channels integrated into the guide

Disclaimer: This is not a way for me to bash one provider or the other. It is simply to give my impression of D*'s service/equipment compared to E*'s. This may be helpful for someone on the fence.

At least it worked for you! Due to a half dead humongous tree in my neighbors yard, I only get about 1-2 degrees of clearance and they wouldn't install. Leaving me stuck with Dish as D* is a no-go, Comcast and WOW are 2&3 times the money and u-verse doesn't reach. So much for competition bettering my options.

Actually, the HR20 and H20 do have built in OTA tuners. All others can have an external OTA tuner, AM21, added via USB and OTA channels integrated into the guide

my understanding is that you still can't record OTA with the AM21 - this too i miss from dish. I find the HR24 to be just as fast as my 722. So far so good, but i'd love the OTA as a third tuner and PIP. Remote doesn't matter to me as i use the harmony. I have two HR24's so i'm hoping the lack of OTA recording won't be an issue. i do have OTA hooked directly to my tv

Yes you can record OTA channels with the AM21. However, unlike Dish, you can only have 2 tuners active at one time: 1 OTA and 1 DBS, 2 OTA, or 2 DBS

thanks - my point was that you don't gain a recording stream - still only two with the AM21 - but my post was misleading -thanks for clarifying.

Excellent info coming out of this thread.
Okay, if i have hr24 with am21 in living room- I can record two and watch one recorded, right, but not a live stream?
Now in the other two viewing rooms if recording 2 programs on the HR24 can I view different recorded programs on the 2nd and 3rd sets?

Excellent info coming out of this thread.
Okay, if i have hr24 with am21 in living room- I can record two and watch one recorded, right, but not a live stream?
Yes. You do not need an AM21 to do this though. The AM21 is an external dual over the air tuner for the channels you can get through an antenna
Now in the other two viewing rooms if recording 2 programs on the HR24 can I view different recorded programs on the 2nd and 3rd sets?
You can only view two recorded programs at a time from each DVR. So if you are watching a recorded program in your bedroom from the DVR in your living room, you will not be able to watch a different recorded program from that same living room DVR in a third room AT THE SAME TIME.

ETA: You will be able to watch one program on the main TV with the DVR and a second recorded program in another room from that same DVR.

Last edited:
wow- i'm getting confused now- i have two HR24's - i envision this as one big dvr for my home (2 tvs) , if so, - can i do the following:

tv 1 and tv 2 - both watch two different recorded shows at the same time?

wow- i'm getting confused now- i have two HR24's - i envision this as one big dvr for my home (2 tvs) , if so, - can i do the following:

tv 1 and tv 2 - both watch two different recorded shows at the same time?
Yes. One on the main TV and one on the second TV from the same DVR. You cannot watch another show on a 3rd TV at the same time is what I was trying to state in my post above (I will edit it to make it a little clearer)

At least it worked for you! Due to a half dead humongous tree in my neighbors yard, I only get about 1-2 degrees of clearance and they wouldn't install. Leaving me stuck with Dish as D* is a no-go, Comcast and WOW are 2&3 times the money and u-verse doesn't reach. So much for competition bettering my options.

Neighbor is not up for chopping the tree down?

Nope, he likes it. The only way that thing is coming down is when it falls down during a storm.
What you do is wait for very windy weather, go out at night, tie a chain around the tree and to your truck, and pull in the direction of the wind to help the wind do the job of knocking down the tree. When they wake up, they will just think the wind did it.

Yes. You do not need an AM21 to do this though. The AM21 is an external dual over the air tuner for the channels you can get through an antenna
You can only view two recorded programs at a time from each DVR. So if you are watching a recorded program in your bedroom from the DVR in your living room, you will not be able to watch a different recorded program from that same living room DVR in a third room AT THE SAME TIME.

ETA: You will be able to watch one program on the main TV with the DVR and a second recorded program in another room from that same DVR.

This points out one of the competitive advantages of the VIP622 (and maybe the 722)...the built-in OTA tuner!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)