I-mate SP5 / Qtek 8310?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirby Baker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2004
Somewhere in space
Anyone have any experience with these? Both are identical, made by HTC. I think there is also an O2 flavor. Looking at getting one of these smart phones, as I am not all that crazy about lugging around a PDA phone. Size is nice, WM5, EDGE, BT, WIFI, quad band. Everything I want. I read a review on the 8310 that said the camera and multimedia section of the phone sucks, but I dont care much about that, I never use a phone for that stuff. Just looking for opinions and hopefully finding out about any quirks or bad things about this phone before I buy one.

Kirby-

The most important thing is to get something you really like. Everyone is different. I'm currently on a 3 week travel excursion around the country and I now have the creme de la creme in my XV6700. But with all these PDA / phones or a smart phone, the screen size is the biggest issue for many. The major issue you will have between a true PDA/phone and a cell phone with WM5 is the lack of a qwerty keyboard.
But the I-mate has a soft qwerty popup, right? Here's a little secret. Even with my 6700's slideout large keyboard, I still use the popup keyboard on screen. I just got used to it and find it easier for me with the stylus. You will have a nice keypad for the phone but I have to use a screen touch keypad for the phone or the slide out linear phone pad. It really about tradeoffs.

Any particular reason you're leaning towards a Smartphone?

I currently have a Cingular 8125 and before that I had an Audiovox SMT-5600 (aka iMate SP3) which is similar to the phone you're concidering.

The 8125 Is more like a PDA that also does phone stuff. The SMT-5600 Is a phone that also does PDA stuff.

Both run Windows Mobile 5.0 but using the phones is a drasticly different experience. They both do a decent job with windows Media 10 and the big draw for me was the ability to sync the phone's calendar with my Lotus Notes calendar.

Web browsing is MUCH better on the 8125 both becuase of sheer screen area, and the landscape screen orientation when the keyboard is flipped out.

Speaking of keyboards... there was no on-screen soft keyboard as the SMT-5600 isn't touchscreen like the more PDA like phones are (my 8125, the XV6700 etc). You're options for text entry are T9 or 111 222 etc via the dialpad.

The big thing I miss having gone from the SMT-5600 to the 8125 is the small form factor. While the 8125 isn't huge by any means, it isn't as nice to slide into my pocket as the SMT-5600 was.

I still slip the SIM into the 5600 when going out just because the phone isn't as bulky to haul around. If the phone meets your needs, go for it. Be sure to pick up a screen protector. If you go for the candybar form factor, the silicone jackets also do a good job of protecting the phone i fyou can find one for it.

Well you hit the main reason in your comments. Size. I just couldnt handle the thickness of the 8125. and it is a bit wider too, than the smart phone I am looking at.

Now maybe I am making a mistake by rating the size as so important. But going from a RAZR to something like the 8125 would kill me.

Basically I like my RAZR, but I was faster net access (EDGE vs. GPRS). I hate the width of the HP 65xx series. And I am not crazy about the Palm 650.

Maybe I should wait for the JAMin to become more available, its .7" thick, vs. the 8125 which is about an inch. The JAMin also is about .5" thinner in width.

Here's my issue, about half of all my calls, I end up using just the phone, and not my BT headset. Its a habit I cant seem to break. Based on that, I just cant imagine holding some of these PDA phones to my ear! The obvious advantage of a PDA phone is that I could get rid of my normal PDA as well (Dell Axim X3i). I guess I could also go with a PDA phone and keep my RAZR or get another small phone for occasions where I dont want to lug around the PDA.

You mention to get a screen protector for the SP5. how come? Is it really that easy to scratch? I previously had a Sony s710a, and never used a screen protector, but was careful with it. It never scratched.

I mentioned the screen protector because a scratched up screen drives me insane. The protectors are nicer than they used to be. The Martin-Fields ones I put on my last few phones fit / look so good you wouldn't know that they were there unless you were looking for 'em.

I must be hard on phones - I mange to tear 'em up. The screen protector at least keeps the screens nice :).

I'll probably pick up a Razr for when I need 'just a phone'. They are awesome for carrying around in your pocket. I bought my finace one of the Cingular pink ones and she loves it.

Shawn95GT said:
I bought my finace one of the Cingular pink ones and she loves it.

Uh huh, fiancee, sureeeeee! Face it, you just wanted a pink phone! :p

Seriously though, maybe I am better to get something like the JAMin then, and keep my RAZR. Then I can swap the sim around as needed.

Oh since you have a 8125, whats the deal on media net? do you have to get the data connect package as the cingular goof told me, or will normal medianet work and save money? I've got the unlimited media net right now. That was another factor in my choosing a smart phone, not having to shell out $20 more per month for data connect.

Hmm looks like the JAMin is also the Qtek S200 and is readily available. Have to look at it more, doesnt have a slider keyboard.

Last edited:
I have the medianet unlimited right now - works great.

Basicly.... the difference is if you plan on tethering and using a ton of data, they want you to use the PDA plan. You can still tether with the Medianet package but if they flag you as using a ton of data you may be forced to switch. Most people go with Medianet Unlimited.

So far I've only used about 300 megs in a months time (streaming Sirius one and a while ;) )

Ok, so if I once again change my plans, and move to a PDA phone, like the S200 / JAMin, am I making a mistake by choosing that model, since it doesnt have a keyboard? I know its not the fastest processor out there, TI OMAP 200mhz or something I think.

Form factor seems quite nice though, 4.25" x 2.3" x 0.7". Thats barely larger than my RAZR. Of course the K-JAM (same as 8125?) is 0.93" thick. Maybe I am just being overly concerned about the thickness? I just honestly dont know how much I would use the keyboard.

Well, the 8125 isn't as big as it seems:

phones.JPG

That's my SMT-5600 - 8125 - and a v551.

That being said, it does 'feel' big when you talk on it. It isn't quite a 'brick to the side of your head' like I was expecting.

I use the keyboard almost every day. I have yet to have the soft key board come up on my 8125 but if I didn't have the hardware keyboard I'm sure the on-screen soft keyboard would work out great.

If you aren't doing a lot of text messaging or IM then I don't think the keyboard is a big deal anyways. The soft dialpad really sucks though :(.

I just noticed... that SMT runs Windows Mobile 2003, not 5.0. That's probably the bulk of the difference ;)

Thanks for the comarison pic. The weird thing is that I help the 8125 in the store last weekend, and it was like a brick it seemed. But maybe it was partly due to the security device the store strapped on the back of the unit with the retractable cord. I couldnt really get it close enough to really see and handle, as it was mounted over 5' high on the wall (not that I'm short or anything).

Question about the 8125 (or any PDA phone running WM5 and has a keyboard): when you slide it open, do ALL applications shift to landscape mode, or are there issues with certain things? I would hope they shift automatically.

Do you use voice command at all? How is it?

The slide out KB will shift the phone to landscape and AFAIK all applications shift to that mode. There are exceptions as some slide out KB's slide out the bottom, such as the Samsung. Also, in the XV6700 you can switch to landscape mode with a screen icon and keep the KB inside.

I use Voice command. It works fairly well but requires an on PDA button to activate in stock setup. Some have figured out a work around to not only execute from the BT button but also give voice commands from the BT as well. I have not tried those due to reports that the sampling of BT 1.2 is not accurate enough to work reliably with voice recognition. I like voice command for caller ID and appointments reminders as well. When I have the PDA in my belt pack and a call comes in, it tells me who is calling. I can then decide to answer it with the BT button.

Well, I'm stuck. Go with a 1" thick version with a slider keyboard, or go with a 0.7" thick version without, and use a BT keyboard. Hmm. I know I am going to make the wrong choice and spend $600+ on the wrong model.... Ugh.

I can't stand that BT Keyboard. I have one. The whole idea of the PDA is to make life easier and hauling around a BT keyboard isn't easier. When I travel, I have the PDA/Phone when out during the day and when I get to the hotel, I use the laptop.

Today, I needed to type out a half dozen e-mails on the PDA, Not my favorite thing to do but I was able to do it with minimal trouble using the onscreen popup keyboard. When I was at lunch and sitting at a table, I slid out the keyboard and used that but I still find it awkward using the slideout keyboard while walking about.

Well I made my choice (for now at least). Got a Qtek S200 coming. No keyboard, but I honestly think I wont mind. For large amounts of typing I still plan to use a laptop, and it really wont be any worse or different than using my existing old PDA without keyboard (not even a BT one). Worse case, if I hate it, I will just sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.