I may even bother with V

One almost wonders if SciFi suffers so much because people interested in SciFi tend to know how to work a DVR and skip all the commercials.

ABC is only going to show four episodes of its V remake this year before taking the show off the air until spring, following a complete halt in production earlier this year. ABC says the other nine episodes will eventually be shown
Wow, killing it quicker than they did Defying Gravity.

My guess, is that have little hope in the show, and want to see how 4 episodes do before paying for more (with the effects, it can't be a cheap show).

Unless it gets really high ratings, the show is done after the 4. And airing opposite NCIS won't help. I'll watch with the expectation of only 4 episodes (probably DVR all 4 to watch one weekend as a 3-hour movie).

Just out of curiosity, what time slot do you think would be a better one for "V"?
Sunday at 8, where the Simpsons is the only real compitition
Or Monday at 9 against Two & a half Men & Trauma. None of those shows would compete for the same demographic of viewers.

Anytime on Wednesday prior to 10pm would be good as well.

Problem with going against NCIS, is that show has a lot of viewers that would watch V, but not over NCIS.

V should be a mini series like the original series was. Then you can make it short and to the point and have much more impact with a complete ending. The original series based on the mini series did not do so well and was canceled the first year .

IMHO, V said what it had to say in its first incarnation, and then left reasonable sci-fi land with silly sex themes. Try something original.

Do you want me to fix the title? It should say "I may not even bother with V"

This sucks ... with a late start I was hoping for back to back episodes without a lot "in two weeks" or other breaks ... oh well ... heres to hoping it has good ratings.

That's terrible that they have to put a gap in showing the episodes. Maybe if they show the first 4 episodes again when they show the rest, it may work out.

It sounds like what they did with Life on Mars last year. They split the season up and didn't really let us know when it was starting back up.

Of course this happens after I actually started getting interested in this. I too really like the original V, so I was hesitant to check this one out. But the more I've heard and seen about it, the more I want to check it out.

Sunday at 8, where the Simpsons is the only real compitition
Or Monday at 9 against Two & a half Men & Trauma. None of those shows would compete for the same demographic of viewers.

Anytime on Wednesday prior to 10pm would be good as well.

Problem with going against NCIS, is that show has a lot of viewers that would watch V, but not over NCIS.

Really? Against Two and a Half Men and THE BIG BANG THEORY? Chuck Lorre will kick V's ass in that time slot.

It appears now that there are increasing indications that broadcasters are seeing less and less value, and/or more and more risk, in offering genre programming. In addition to how "V" is being split, into a four-hour mini-series, followed (presumably, if all goes well) by a "back nine" episodes in the spring; now word is that upcoming genre series Day One will initially be trimmed back to a four hour mini-series as well, again, presumably given the network the ability to gauge whether investing more in the series is worthwhile.

I'm not really surprised. I don't think we fans of genre programming have given broadcasters a good-enough reason to offer us the kind of programming that we prefer.

I think I realize, now, one contributor to the problem: There is not just one set of fans of genre programming. In another forum, this morning, a poster drew the line in the sand very clearly, asserting that he is (and presumably other people like him, are) "looking forward to [what he considers] _real_ space based sci-fi on TV again", drawing the distinction between what he wants and what he disparaged as "watered down" genre programming, including a number of shows that are considered excellent genre programming by another set of fans of genre programming (including my wife and I), such as "Fringe, Dollhouse, FlashForward, Warehouse 13". He effectively threw down a gauntlet, accusing folks who enjoy such shows of being "trick[ed]". Apparently, it isn't just a difference of preference to him; he makes the issue personal, attacking people who enjoy things different from what he enjoys.

So, perhaps one reason why genre programming fails on television is that there are two sets viewers who are viewed as a single niche, when we're not only two separate niches, but the sensibilities of one of the niches effectively precludes that niche from enjoying the programming aimed at the other niche.

Networks have for years canceled any shows that are Sci-Fi related. The public has too many options for entertainment these days between cable/satellite/internet/blu-ray, etc. The networks want a "SURE"thing in ratings. That is why the nets are covered with Police/crime dramas, Medical /Hospital dramas, Comedy/sitcoms and now reality based contest shows. Anytime they try to do a sci-fi show the ratings are not stellar, because the audience is a niche audience. The networks cancel the show within weeks or sometimes if your lucky a whole season. Even Sci-fi channel, now Syfy , doesn't do true sci-fi shows or mini series tv. They do B-movie Monster of the week movies. They even do monster genre themed days like all insect related; bees, ants, mosquitos etc. Even Syfy targets a "sure"thing in ratings. Sci-fi channel was one of the main reasons I wanted satellite because I thought I would get to watch more sci-fi related programs. I pretty much gave up on any of these programs now days. Guess what I watch now days?
Police dramas, Medical dramas, sitcoms, reality based shows and very little sci-fi related tv series because I know they will kill it .

Networks have for years canceled any shows that are Sci-Fi related. The public has too many options for entertainment these days between cable/satellite/internet/blu-ray, etc.
Yet Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives are in their sixth seasons. You may not like these shows, but the fact is that "too many options for entertainment" doesn't preclude those shows from doing well enough to be renewed, while the hardcore science fiction shows that you may prefer get canceled quickly, and probably will be increasingly rare, going forward, due to how often they simply fail to produce.

The networks want a "SURE"thing in ratings.
Let's have a chat about your retirement investments and see if your strategies are like how the networks actually invest in television series (i.e., cutting their losses when they have a dog on their hands), or more like how you want the networks to invest in television series (keeping poor performers on the schedule week after week even though they're not pulling their own weight).

If you're a rational investor, I bet your own investment strategy matches the network's.

So let's not make this about the networks. They're doing the correct thing, even if the result isn't what makes any specific viewer or viewers excessively happy or even satisfied.

BSG was a spaced based show that at least did well for SyFy. But, most of the show was nothing to do with space. In fact almost all the show was plots of interpersonal relationships. They just sprinkled in shots of ships and an occasional space battle.

The problem with "space" is that nothing happens in "space" of interest in real time. The shows have to rely on human interaction, and some of that interaction is dealing with the conditions of being in outer space.

Yet Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives are in their sixth seasons. You may not like these shows, but the fact is that "too many options for entertainment" doesn't preclude those shows from doing well enough to be renewed, while the hardcore science fiction shows that you may prefer get canceled quickly, and probably will be increasingly rare, going forward, due to how often they simply fail to produce.

Let's have a chat about your retirement investments and see if your strategies are like how the networks actually invest in television series (i.e., cutting their losses when they have a dog on their hands), or more like how you want the networks to invest in television series (keeping poor performers on the schedule week after week even though they're not pulling their own weight).

If you're a rational investor, I bet your own investment strategy matches the network's.

So let's not make this about the networks. They're doing the correct thing, even if the result isn't what makes any specific viewer or viewers excessively happy or even satisfied.

Actually I do like the two shows Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives because they are soaps . But when I watch a good show like Jericho about the nuclear attack of country orchestrated by a corrupt government official- ala Cheney look alike, I do not want to see a lot of soap opera plots that get in the way of the story telling.

The main story about Jericho was kept up on the shelf for many episodes , while the personal dynamics were kept fore front. This caused CBS to cancel this show. The only reason why they got around to telling the Main plot line was to wrap up the series to make the fans happy. I wanted to know who caused the nukes to go off. What was left of the county , who was running it , would they survive etc.

Another example of a "sci-fi " show that was nothing more than a soap opera was "Defying Gravity" on ABC. Now this show could of been Desperate Housewives or Grey's Anatomy in space. It still doesn't change what I was saying about networks. Less and less sci-fi shows will ever make it to network tv because the audience is a niche one and they don't see much money to be had in it. This has been the case going back to the 60s and the original Star Trek series ,which was canceled but saw another season due to fans letter writing campaign.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts