I need a new 6-port router...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Well, after adding a 2nd Tivo (Romio Pro) and a PS4, I've run out of router ports so I stopped by the local Best Buy looking for a 6-port router...and I couldn't even find one. Anyway, I'm looking for a 6-port router/FW/VPN that supports GigE and the latest wireless variants. It looks like I'll have to order online (still can't believe I can't find a 6-port model locally) because I'm not interested in enabling wireless then the devices are all within a few feets: Tivo Roamio Pro, TivoHD, PS3, PS4, Linksys VOIP, HP Printer.

I guess that I would always toss-in an old 10/100 switch, but it's time to upgrade the router anywho. I just cannot believe there are no 6-port routers with all the IP devices these days. Hell, I also have a SmartTV but I use wireless since I don't use any apps (prefer Tivo) and may add an XBox at some point in time.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QUA6RA/?tag=satell01-20

I've been using two of these for about a year now with no complaints. I have all 8 gigabit ports used up on the switch plus 3 of my router's ports used. One of the ports on the switch is wired up through the walls to my upstairs office where I have a second 8 port switch. That switch feeds the office and two upstairs bedrooms with ethernet.

I don't use wifi for anything except portable devices like smartphones, tablets, etc. The router isn't gigabit but as long as both devices you want to transfer data between are hooked to the gigabit switches you will still be able to take advantage of the gigabit speed data transfers. My media server upstairs that gets 4 OTA tuners over my network from HDHomeruns and the downstairs HTPC are both hooked up to gigabit ports so I don't get any slowdown even when I'm recording 4 things at once and streaming a recording to the downstairs TV.

Just make sure to put anything that can take advantage of gigabit speeds on the switch. You can put devices that only need internet on the router if you run out of ports.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QUA6RA/?tag=satell01-20

I've been using two of these for about a year now with no complaints. I have all 8 gigabit ports used up on the switch plus 3 of my router's ports used. One of the ports on the switch is wired up through the walls to my upstairs office where I have a second 8 port switch. That switch feeds the office and two upstairs bedrooms with ethernet.

I don't use wifi for anything except portable devices like smartphones, tablets, etc. The router isn't gigabit but as long as both devices you want to transfer data between are hooked to the gigabit switches you will still be able to take advantage of the gigabit speed data transfers. My media server upstairs that gets 4 OTA tuners over my network from HDHomeruns and the downstairs HTPC are both hooked up to gigabit ports so I don't get any slowdown even when I'm recording 4 things at once and streaming a recording to the downstairs TV.

Just make sure to put anything that can take advantage of gigabit speeds on the switch. You can put devices that only need internet on the router if you run out of ports.
Just ordered one of these, need more ports on the other end of the house ...

I just upgraded my whole system this past year to all Gigabit router and switches. Two 5 port and one 7 port gigabit switches connected around the house to the main router in the garage with the cable modem in the wiring closet. Wifi is just for my phones, tablet and when I carry the laptop outside or around the living room. I have a mixture of Western Digital and D Link stuff and it has been perfect since July when I started changing out things and taking stuff off of wifi here at the house. I have a mix of Netgear and DLink gigabit stuff in Las Vegas that works well too.

Why a 10/100 switch? You can buy gigabit switches now, and there's some nice 8-port ones.
I bought this 5 port gig switch a year ago, and it works well with my D-link gig router: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122363

Just because I have a couple old ones sitting in a tote from years back. It's time to update my wireless router (still using an 802.11g router) so I may as well get one with at least 6-ports while I'm at it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)