New service to offer free internet worldwide via LEO satellites

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
New service going to be launched to provide free internet worldwide via LEO satellites. They will also provide two way communication during times of lost communication such as when people lose phone service during storms.

https://www.outernet.is/

The internet will be free, what about access to the satellite network, is that free also?
This is an ambitious multi-billion $ project. Where is the revenue coming from?

They're expecting to do it for tens of millions and not billions, they claim in their forum. Doesn't sound feasible. Also not free internet in the way that comes to mind first off, they're talking information services rather than internet in the way most think of it. Their saying free internet is really a purposeful misnomer on their part, making it sound better and different than what it truly is, or going to be...maybe.

Bill gates gave up on a similar idea long ago. I daresay not much has changed.

And I can pretty well guarantee they won't get around censorship.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Didn't Motorola build a multi sat LEO network some years ago. They gave up on it before it was completed and cut their loses.

Someone is going to collect the money they are seeking on that site, and there will be nothing to show for it.

I thought google was going to do this with balloons (loon project). I think I read that google and other companies were getting involved with a similar project as this as well (o3b).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)