I need advices from experienced installers...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

user92626

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Hi All,

I need advices from experienced installers who have used a signal meter to get 95 sat (international chans). My HOA rooftop is hard to get to, so I can't really rely on using a receiver and a TV to align the dish and detect signal. The dish is Samsonic. So I will get a meter.

Btw, I already got the 95 sat feed, but it's very WEAK and it causes one channel (2076) to be pixelated and cracking noise, worse it's completely blank between 11am - 5,6pm.

So, please advice on how to use a meter to fine tune the dish which is shared among other condo units :( (minimum errors or i'll make the problem worse not just for myself.) *sigh*

Thanks

You can use a signal meter to see the 95 Sat by selecting the 18V inputs, provided your meter has these options. The 95 will read much lower than the 101 Sat would with the same meter.

It may be easier to connect your meter to the 101 LNB and peak in the dish that way.

The 18v input is a very good info. Now that I think about it, what other requirements of the meter do I need, like Hz, etc.

"It may be easier to connect your meter to the 101 LNB and peak in the dish that way"

I do not understand this point. The 101 is currently measured at receivers at 95+ % strength. What else I'm a little confused is how I could fine tune the 95 sat lnb held by a bracket without knocking 101 out of place. I think I could only try to up/down the 95 lnb itself and not azimuth or elevation of the whole dish (which would affect the whole setup)

The 18v input is a very good info. Now that I think about it, what other requirements of the meter do I need, like Hz, etc.

"It may be easier to connect your meter to the 101 LNB and peak in the dish that way"

I do not understand this point. The 101 is currently measured at receivers at 95+ % strength. What else I'm a little confused is how I could fine tune the 95 sat lnb held by a bracket without knocking 101 out of place. I think I could only try to up/down the 95 lnb itself and not azimuth or elevation of the whole dish (which would affect the whole setup)

You don't move the bracket holding the 95 sat. If you are using the 101 sat LNB on the international dish to peak the 95, you need to adjust the entire dish assembly (azimuth & elevation - tilt should not have to be adjusted provided your mast is plumb). The international dish has 3 focal points for the 101 sat, so it can be a pain to peak in. The easiest way to do this is to point the dish to the east and slowly rotate to the south. The first peak on the 13V line of your signal meter should be the 101 sat. Fine tune for maximum strength and secure the dish.

Without knowing exactly what type of system is installed, I'm going to guess that in addition to the international dish you have another dish (dual or triple LNB) style that is currently providing your programming from the 101 sat. If this is the case, your international dish is NOT providing the 101 signal to your receivers. It would feed into the flexport of a multiswitch (like the Zinwell 6x8).

As far as the signal meter goes, most of the newer digital meters read the required 13VDC & 18VDC and have the option to enable a 22kHz tone to read the 110 & 119 sats.

iwc5893,
You're wise beyond words can describe :D You're right in my setup, the international dish has only the 95 lnb, the rest is taken care by another triple lnb.

But with my luck, there's always complication. I BROKE the bracket that holds the 95 lnb at the place that connects to the arm . So, I screwed the 101 lnb to the arm instead. (The int dish comes with a bracket that can hold two lnb). As a result, the 95 lnb is shifted right, raised about an inch and leaned back 2 or 3 degrees. Do you think both lnb's still can get strong signals with those alternations?? I havenot mount the dish yet. Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)