I need an HD education. Can someone shed some light on these simple questions:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dem372

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
This may be a repeat, if so, I am sorry.

Here is my situation: I currently have Time Warner Cable, but am a former Dtv customer. I loved my Dtv, but switched to cable in order to get the free HD receiver and local channels. But, I am sick of the poor picture quality with cable, and only receive 2 of the major networks in HD. So, I am looking at going back to Dtv.

The questions are these: If I go back to Dtv, I plan on getting the HD receiver being offered with the $200 rebate at Best Buy. Can I buy something like a Zenith Silver Sensor antenna and hook it up to that receiver in order to receive local HD stations (I live in Columbus OH) OTA? Will something like that work in a basement? (I have been to the antenna selector page, and all of my local HD's were in Yellow, so I assume that is good).

Also, how do I find out what the local HD channel numbers are? I assume they differ from what is on the cable package. I have never seen them listed anywhere.

Also, are there any other alternatives? Does Dtv offer the national network HD broadcasts? Is there somewhere I can go to find this out?

Sorry if these questions are simple-minded. I am new to the HD world and just trying to get things rolling. Thanks for the help.

Set top antennas don't usually work all that well in a basement, though you may have better success than I ever did. Directv does have several of the networks in HD, though the qualification rules are stringent and I think you may have trouble qualifying for the national feeds. YMMV While you may want to know what your channels are, the receiver will usually scan for digital channels and automatically add them to your guide, though not always with the program info. You can go to antennaweb.org and it will give you the actual channel numbers as well as the "mapped" numbers for each channel.

AntennaWeb has your local channel numbers on the same screen you got the results from. Look all the way to the right. They will then get remapped to their "normal" channel number, in all likelyhood.

I 2nd the basement problem. Higher is better.

dem372 said:
This may be a repeat, if so, I am sorry.

Here is my situation: I currently have Time Warner Cable, but am a former Dtv customer. I loved my Dtv, but switched to cable in order to get the free HD receiver and local channels. But, I am sick of the poor picture quality with cable, and only receive 2 of the major networks in HD. So, I am looking at going back to Dtv.

The questions are these: If I go back to Dtv, I plan on getting the HD receiver being offered with the $200 rebate at Best Buy. Can I buy something like a Zenith Silver Sensor antenna and hook it up to that receiver in order to receive local HD stations (I live in Columbus OH) OTA? Will something like that work in a basement? (I have been to the antenna selector page, and all of my local HD's were in Yellow, so I assume that is good).

Also, how do I find out what the local HD channel numbers are? I assume they differ from what is on the cable package. I have never seen them listed anywhere.

Also, are there any other alternatives? Does Dtv offer the national network HD broadcasts? Is there somewhere I can go to find this out?

Sorry if these questions are simple-minded. I am new to the HD world and just trying to get things rolling. Thanks for the help.

Since you live in a metropolitan area you may have luck ordering an HD OTA antenna from DirecTV. Give them a call and see what you can get, they may have some combo package if you sign your life away for 2 years.

Jeff

dem372 said:

You would need to live in a Owned and operated Area
I think you would only get NBC and Fox HD

See Here

I live in columbus about 15-20 miles from the broadcasters and I have rebit ears out in my back yard diplexed. I'm getting in the low 90's on NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, and PBS (WOSU)

Matt

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts