I need cables?

Mully

Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
I am a complete newbie to this and it looks like I might have the right thread. If not, my apologies.

I am having the following TV shipped to me at this time.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...lateName=item/sy_item_b&ProductSKU=KDE37XS955

Sony WEGA Plasma HDTV
The rest of the system temporairly is a...
Harmon Kardon AVR 520
Sony DVP-CX985V 400 Disc Progressive DVD/SACD Player

It will be here Tuesday. Installs Inc. will be here Wednesday.

My question is what cables do I need to have on hand for the install and could you recommend a brand and place for the best price?

The TV has the following connections...
HDMI-HDTV
Y/G, Yb/B, Yr/R (what are these?)
S-Video

Sorry, but I don't know the connections on the Receiver or the DVD

Also, my new TV has a built in tuner. Is that a waste or will it work with VOOM?

you will have to decide whether the DVD or the Voom box will occupy the DVI port on your TV. Voom comes with a set of component cables Y/g Yb/B and Yr/R (thats what they are) and a DVI to DVI cable. Looks like you will need to pick up a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter if they dont come with the set. (best buy sells them i think at an inflated price Im sure, but you dont have a lot of time, and since your buying plasma you must have money to burn anyway). The Voom box has DVI and component output (both are HD) so take your pick.

I assume most of your viewing will be TV therefore I would use the DVI connection for Voom (it is supposed to be sharper than component but many see little difference).

Dont use s video for anything

Yes the integrated tuner is money down the toilet. Any Satellite box will have an OTA tuner in it.

My search for your DVD player on the net reveals that it has no DVI just component output like most DVD players so use the component connections for the DVD player. (red,blue,green cables)

Mully--if you get cables at Best Buy, they will have inflated prices. However, BB has a 30 day money back guarantee with no questions asked, and you can find the cables for a lot less on the internet. There are references in the forum for cable companies that sell them for far less. If you do a thread search for HDMI, you'll see what I mean. Good luck.

DVI Cables

Does Voom come with DVI Cables because at Best Buy there DVI Monster Cables are 89.99 and they said that is the best PQ you will get if you buy the cables. :D

Damn, Rob -- Voom does come with DVI cables - regardless of how many threads you post the question in. :D Seriously, though, I think you'll find if you just post a question once it'll get answered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts