Switched cables...no sound

hootie981

Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Hi everyone! This is my first post, and I was wondering if there was somebody out there who could help me. I got a Voom box back in the fall and picked up a few channels OTA, etc etc. Up until yesterday, I was using component cables to hook the box directly to my TV. Yesterday, I got an HDMI/DVI cable from Monster Cable. Now, the picture is great, but I have absolutely no sound. I tried plugging and replugging and turning the TV and Voom box on in different order, but nothing has seemed to work. Could it be an issue with my cable? Did I somehow get the wrong one? Thanks for your help guys...I appreciate it...

DVI doesn't pass the sound signal like HDMI does.

Did you remove the sound connections when you changed out the cables? Does your TV have seperate audio inputs on the HDMI input?

If not, you either need to use an AV receiver for sound, or go back to component cables if you need the TV speakers to work.

Thanks for the help! I didn't realize that DVI doesn't carry the sound signal. My TV's got a separate input for sound, so it looks like I'd have to go through a separate receiver if I want to use sound with my HDMI/DVI cable.

Thanks...

Hdmi/dvi

hootie981 said:
Thanks for the help! I didn't realize that DVI doesn't carry the sound signal. My TV's got a separate input for sound, so it looks like I'd have to go through a separate receiver if I want to use sound with my HDMI/DVI cable.

Thanks...
You can also receive sound through your TV by running your RCA cables from your Voom receiver to your TV. Find the outputs white and red on the back of you Voom box and then run them through your sound inputs on the back of your TV.

007BlackMan said:
You can also receive sound through your TV by running your RCA cables from your Voom receiver to your TV. Find the outputs white and red on the back of you Voom box and then run them through your sound inputs on the back of your TV.

Yep, that's what I did. Component cables from the voom box to the tv. Then another set of red and white rca's from the voom box also to the TV input. It's magical!

You can't have HDTV without awesome sterio sound!!!! You just can't! It's illegal or something (or at least it should be).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)