I need direction guys...

spanky

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
My 5000 went belly up finally. After talking to someone from dish they said if I enroll in their warranty plan for $6 month they will send me a reman 5000.
I asked how long I needed to be enrolled and the person didn't know.
Should I accept this offer or try to upgrade to something else? I really liked having the caller id and dolby digital functions as well as the uhf remote(works in the garage that way :D ).
I bought an 811 in december and am still frustrated over that-biggest complaint being the dark picture.
Any advise is greatly appreciated.

don't go for the bait. You are just investing in old technology again. $6/month adds up really fast. switch providers to get a new subscriber deal or buy your own new receiver, even though Dish has no good new HD receivers.

mini1 said:
don't go for the bait. You are just investing in old technology again. $6/month adds up really fast. switch providers to get a new subscriber deal or buy your own new receiver, even though Dish has no good new HD receivers.

I don't think he said he wants a HD receiver. I'd say, check out the 508s the Dishstore.net has. If it's anything like the 510, it should be a pretty good box, with (they say) no monthly DVR fee. I found the 510 to be a solid box, fast and stable.

Definitely don't take a remanuf. 5000. It IS old technology, very old.

The 5000 may be old, but its the best SD non PVR receiver they have made.
Features include:
Tunes OTA
Caller ID
Dolby Digital (with adapter)
NO F'n open TV interactive BS

That why I have 4.

n0qcu said:
Features include:
Tunes OTA
Caller ID

That why I have 4.

Well gosh, the 6000 matches that criteria point by point except you don't need the adaptor for Dolby Digital.

n0qcu said:
Features include:
Tunes OTA
Caller ID

That why I have 4.

Only thing wrong with the 5000 and it's MAJOR is the SLOOOOOOWWW guide. I got so frustrated with my 5000 I swapped it for a 508 about 6 months ago. The new guides are the best program guides I have ever used on Dish, Direct, or cable.

Chris Walker said:
Only thing wrong with the 5000 and it's MAJOR is the SLOOOOOOWWW guide. I got so frustrated with my 5000 I swapped it for a 508 about 6 months ago. The new guides are the best program guides I have ever used on Dish, Direct, or cable.

Amen. The 5000 is, as they say, a dog. I used one for 4 years, so I know. Slow. Only stores a couple of hours of guide info. Often won't even have info for the current show on the current channel. And guess what? When I got the 510, I immediately noticed an improvement in the picture quality.

I can't compare it to other non-PVR non-HD boxes, other than the Model 2000, which was their (and my) first box (and only other I've had). The 5000 was a marginal improvement over the 2000. The 510 and even the much-maligned 811 are ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE better than the 5000.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm just trying to see what would do me justice, Get me another 5000-then I'll have my caller id,uhf remote and d.d. and spend $6 month or get something like the 508-cant' tell if it's got uhf,d.d. or the caller id, spend $250 for it (thats 41 months of the service plan payments).
This service warranty, it doesn't say anywhere if I have to subscribe for any amount of time-does anyone know?
I figure the 5000 seems slow to you guys-guess what? it always showed more info in the guide than my 811 does :confused:

spanky said:
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm just trying to see what would do me justice, Get me another 5000-then I'll have my caller id,uhf remote and d.d. and spend $6 month or get something like the 508-cant' tell if it's got uhf,d.d. or the caller id, spend $250 for it (thats 41 months of the service plan payments).
This service warranty, it doesn't say anywhere if I have to subscribe for any amount of time-does anyone know?
I figure the 5000 seems slow to you guys-guess what? it always showed more info in the guide than my 811 does :confused:

why don't you do the 510 upgrade ($79-$105) and give them your 5000 as part of the deal?
I did the 510 deal for $99 shipped a while ago and sent back my old 4000.
the 510 has everything the 5000 has. (uhf, D.D, Caller Id.) plus a 9 day pg, you can watch the show and look at your pg at the same time, and you can record 100 of shows w/out a tape!
(no I do not work for dish in any way, it's just that I record a lot of shows during the week and when I come home at night, it nice to watch them without having to worry about running out of tape)

the only drawback I see is that I subscribe to AEP and if you don't there is a monthly fee. :mad:

gredneck said:
the only drawback I see is that I subscribe to AEP and if you don't there is a monthly fee. :mad:

I agree in general ... but that is exactly why I sent the 510 back to Dish. It was a great box, but I had no interest in paying a $5/month fee (which they forgot to mention when I chose that as my Model 5000 upgrade). That's why I suggested the 508 ... I thought it might just be "almost as good" as the 510, but without the monthly fee ....

You can cancel the DHPP any time unlike the $1.99 extended warranty with a 1 yr. commitment. When you start the DHPP you are claiming that the receiver is working and DISH csr's will tell you that you are covered and suggest that as a way to get your receiver repaired. At some time they are going to crack down on this poorly written policy. Cash in while you can. The warranty is on their website read it.

As far as the 5000, replace it. I just donated mine to a church garage sale when new it was great now it is so out of date it is barely usable. The 510 even with the DVOD fee is a much better buy especially at $70 plus shipping and handling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)