I need DVD Burner advice

mr_snerdly

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
I am going to purchase a DVD Burner this week and have a few questions before I do. First, I have a Dish Network 622 receiver, what works best for the video hook-up to the burner? HDMI, S-Video, or the RCA cables? I was under the impression that the HDMI output on the 622 wasn't working, does anyone know if they have been fixed? Also, is the only sound option just the RCA sound inputs? And finally, which brands should I avoid, and which brands are good?...one more thing, do the HD-upconvert burners still require the HDMI to the tv to work properly, or can I use component cables and achieve HD upconvert?

Thanks!!!

I believe the upconversion in nealry all DVD burners is HDMI.

I don't know of a burner with digital audio inputs. You can only go uo to S-video as the input to the burner except for a few Philips, Maggy, and polaroid burners.
The Polaroid DRM-2001 at Wal-mart rocks. 480i component in, 80 gig Hard drive for editing before burning, you can just plug in a 500gig IDE drive to up capacity, and although it says it;s DVD+r+rw it actually burns to - disks also.

It's a sweet little machine for under $200

I believe the upconversion in nealry all DVD burners is HDMI.

I don't know of a burner with digital audio inputs. You can only go uo to S-video as the input to the burner except for a few Philips, Maggy, and polaroid burners.
The Polaroid DRM-2001 at Wal-mart rocks. 480i component in, 80 gig Hard drive for editing before burning, you can just plug in a 500gig IDE drive to up capacity, and although it says it;s DVD+r+rw it actually burns to - disks also.

It's a sweet little machine for under $200

What he said.

Thanks for the feedback. Does the Polaroid model you mention playback all DVDs, or is it just a DVD Recorder? Does it have digital audio output? I actually purchased the Sony RDR-GX330 a couple of days ago. Overall I am happy, but I am dissaponted that I can't get digital audio input with it. Is there anyway possible to record a program from TV that is in HD and 5.1 sound, and at least maintain the 5.1 sound during the recording process? I have a DVD of a program somebody copied from INHD. It is a great copy video wise (obviously it isn't in HD, but it looks as good as any 480p hollywood flick), and he was able to record in 5.1. I have no idea made it, so I can't ask him directly. Does anyone know how this is possible?

I paid $191 for the Sony DVD Burner, including tax....did I just get ripped off?

The only way to record 5.1 to a dvd is with a computer burner. It just isn't possible (yet) with a standalone dvd recorder. They only have the red and white rca audio inputs (it's a copyright thing). The high def DVRs record the 5.1 from the high def programs, but I don't know if there's outputs on them, to record to a dvd.
I wish they would give that capability to standalone recorders!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts