I Need Help, Installing a Titanium ASC1

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
A 180 degree rotation would provide the exact polarity skew. The adjustment range would be up to 90 degrees of rotation.

To figure this out, try this test. Put your receiver on a previously scanned 55W horizontal polarity channel then display the Signal meter. What is the name of this channel?

Move the ASC1 cursor down to the horizontal polarity and rotate 10 degrees (example: set to 35 degrees). Press the ASC1 east/ west buttons to slowly move the dish in that area of the sky. If no signal quality reading is displayed, rotate the horizontal skew another 10 degrees to 25 and repeat the dish sweep. If no signal quality reading, rotate the skew another 10 degrees. Repeat if necessary up to 90 degrees of skew angle settings in 10 degree increments.

I am quite certain that the problem is due to an incorrect polarity skew setting. Stepping through the angles 10 degrees Atallah time will help determine the correct setting.

A 180 degree rotation would provide the exact polarity skew. The adjustment range would be up to 90 degrees of rotation.

To figure this out, try this test. Put your receiver on a previously scanned 55W horizontal polarity channel then display the Signal meter. What is the name of this channel?

Move the ASC1 cursor down to the horizontal polarity and rotate 10 degrees (example: set to 35 degrees). Press the ASC1 east/ west buttons to slowly move the dish in that area of the sky. If no signal quality reading is displayed, rotate the horizontal skew another 10 degrees to 25 and repeat the dish sweep. If no signal quality reading, rotate the skew another 10 degrees. Repeat if necessary up to 90 degrees of skew angle settings in 10 degree increments.

I am quite certain that the problem is due to an incorrect polarity skew setting. Stepping through the angles 10 degrees Atallah time will help determine the correct setting.

7-26-2016

Thank you for responding Brian.
I hate to bother you this much and am bothered by doing it.
I am not able to completly follow your instructions of 7-26.
It is because of my lack of understanding the nitty-gritty of the
ASC1.
This what I managed to do today:
I do not understand what I was seeing on the old Undiden as the programming
on 55W and what I see now on SatHint are completely different. I do see a
lot of the programming I thought was on 55W on 58W.
So here are the details I found today in SatHint on 58W.
Intelsat 21 58.0W Arirang frequency polarity 3880h, symbol rate 27690,
Video PId 1860
Others in the clear are CCTV and YTN World.
I have not changed the LNBS by 180 Degrees.
I am not able to change the horizontal skew as you requested. When I do it
changes the tv settings.
So I stopped there and include two pictures. One of the tv settings and
one of the ASC1.

Attachments

• IMG_0322.JPG
    IMG_0322.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0323.JPG
    IMG_0323.JPG
    882.3 KB · Views: 123
We get much more accomplished via the telephone as we can clarify the terminology and quickly test / act on feedback. It is extremely difficult to try and support via intermittent posts via the forum if you are not familiar with the terminology and comfortable with navigating the menus.

Leave the dish connected to the Uniden, parked on this satellite with your receiver tuned and watching the Arirang channel. I am busy this morning, but please call me again in a few hours and we will finish the set-up that we started last week.

Also, could you stand directly in front of the dish and take and post a photo of the entire reflector? Include the tape marking the 6 o'clock polar axis reference in the photo framing.

Thank you Brain for your time.
The ASc1 is still connected.
Yesterday I tried to point the Servo at the 11:00 O'clock position.
As you can see the dish is in full sunlight at 2:00 o'clock est.
I have included two Images of the dish. Hope they are OK.
I will call about 6:00 o'clock est.

Attachments

• IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 121
Sorry, the photo is close, but not what I need to assist. I don't see any tape marking on the rim to indicate the polar axis of the dish mount. Since you are unable to see the probe angle, we can only go off of the servo motor angle as aligned to the polar axis of the dish. I assume that you had the Uniden set to different angle to compensate for the misaligned servo motor angle. Yes, it works fine that way, IF the skew is manually adjusted from the default setting for each satellite and each polarity. This is time consuming and frustrating to program on each satellite.

If this photo was taken at 2 PM and your longitude is approximately 82.5w, judging by the shadows, the dish is not at the top of the arc and is probably pointed at another satellite that is further on the west side of the arc (but near the top of the arc). The servo motor does not appear to be close to the correct 11 o'clock position. The servo motor appears to be set at about 45° counter-clockwise out of the correct skew angle.

If tree branch shadows are still on the face of the dish at 2 pm, the branches are definitely shadowing a portion of the reflector for any satellite that is located East of where the dish was pointed when you took the photo.

PLEASE.... Before you call this afternoon, drive the dish to the top of the arc. Mark the 6 o'clock position on the bottom edge of the rim so I have a visual reference to know the polar axis of the dish mount. Stand directly in front of the dish and take a photo that the top of the reflector edge is near the top of the photo frame edge, the bottom of the reflector edge edge is near the bottom of the photo frame edge, the right of the reflector edge edge is near the right of the photo frame edge, the left of the reflector edge edge is near the left of the photo frame edge. Please post that photo reference to this thread as we need to see the EXACT angle that the servo is installed.

PLEASE... Before you call this afternoon, connect up the Uniden IRD and be watching the Arirang channel on the 9000i receiver. Because I am not a technician on the ground at your home, I really need a known working channel on a known satellite to received to verify the dish position and polarity before moving forward.

Thank you for helping me to help you!

Reactions: KE4EST
The ASC1 is still installed.
The dish is on the arc. I have not altered that.

I would like to postpone the call today. I won't be able to do all you
ask in the time left before I would call. Also what is the reflector edge?

I have a device called an inclinometer. Can I use this to set the dish
to 58 degrees and then I can twist the lnbs until I get a strong signal.
I would 1st try it with the ASC1 and then the Uniden.
What do you think?

I will not be able to do all you request today, so I would like to
postpone the call until tomorrow. I guess you would like it late
in the day. Say 6:00 o'clock EST tomorrow. I am also having trouble
understanding your last post. What is "reflector edge"?

The ASC1 is still connected.
The dish is on the arc. I have not changed that.
At the present time I have not been able to get any signal with the
Uniden or the ASC1.

I have a device I can set on the post that holds the lnbs. With that
I can tell the angle that the dish is pointing too. If I set it to 58 degrees
west (intelsat21) then I can twist the lnbs till I get a strong signal.
Do you think this might work????

No. Do not change the dish elevation or tracking of the arc. Sorry that my posts are confusing the situation even more.... The reflector edge = the rim of the dish.

1. Please post a photo that shows the entire front of the dish including the piece of tape that you put on the edge of the dish (that indicates the 6 o'clock position when the dish is pointed at the top of the arc).

2. Hook-up the Uniden, return the feedhorn skew back to the original angle (twist the LNBs) that you have been using the past several years and be viewing the 58w - Arirang channel on the 9000i. This way we know the dish is correctly aimed, the polarity is set correctly and the 9000i receiver is correctly programmed.

3. Call when you are ready, No hurry or rush. I am available to assist!

Also, as an option, I checked with TechLink and they have several experienced C-band technians within 90 miles of your location. Be a minimum call time of 2 hours plus a few hours for the drive time, but I have worked with both techs on commercial projects before. Let me know if you want an introduction. :)

Reactions: KE4EST
It's been over 5 years since I had to worry about the top of the
arc. So to be sure I am understanding you correctly. If I get the
dish pointed as close to vertical by eyesight, then site the pole
that holds the lnbs with a level. Am I then at the top of the arc???

Also tonight I set the dish with an inclinator to 58 degrees and tried
to get a signal with the asc1. No Luck. I have now connected the
Uniden at the same dish elevation and tomorrow will twist the
lnbs to see if Arirang will come in.

What do you mean you set the dish to 58°? By moving the dish with the motor? or ??

I set the elevation with an inclinometer to 58 degrees.
I had a signal just before I got the ASC1 on the Uniden
about the 1st of July.
The Uniden stopped putting the point count to the TV.
I now have the Uniden reconnected. I'm going out tomorrow
morning and try to bring in the signal at 58 degrees by
twisting the lnbs.
In the past I was going by what I saw on Lyngsat which is
way different than SatHint. I think the Uniden was pointing to
55 degrees and I was able to pull in Araiang, NHK
and CCTV.

7-27-2016 (10:00 EST)

Thank you for responding Brian.

With the Uniden attached I drove the dish to what I
thought was 58 degrees. Twisted the lnbs and no signal
stronger than 49. Most of them 45. I found the degree with
an inclimator. Thought it would work. Then I drove the dish
to 55 degrees. No signal stronger than 45.

Moved the dish straight up and taped it.
Took two pictures. The picture of the lnb is worthless IMHO
as it is set from my attempts at getting a signal at 55 degrees.

The Uniden is still attached. IMG_0327.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0326.JPG
    IMG_0326.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 110
Change the dish elevation to 58 degrees? I don't understand why you change the elevation setting if the dish has been tracking the arc for many years?

Please return the dish elevation setting back to previous setting.

Is the feedhorn skew (LNB twist) returned to the original setting that worked on July 1?

Sorry Brian, my Satellite dish vocabulary is confusing everyone I think.
I have not changed the arc.
I can't remember where the dish skew was on July 1st.
At this point I am not sure if the use of the inclinometer set the dish to 58
degrees. It's the only way I see to do it.

Take a picture with the inclinometer on the dish. If you didn't change the elevation on the dish to get the inclinometer to read 58°, what did you move?
The motor like I asked above?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts