I need some info on c-band please

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dannyidp

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
ga.
Now I been in fta ku band for a few years now pansat 2500 fortec star ect ect.but I am as green as a turnip when it comes to c-band and I am thankful for forums like this to help me out.

I got that cheap thin WS International dish, man has it been interesting figuring out how to put it together lol.

Just how center does the lnb need to be ? I worked for over a hour trying to center the hole in the scalier ring center of the dish from both sides of the dish is dead on but the lnb is a quater of a inch low vertical is that cool?

what is the best way to get elevation I dont have any marks or anything to go by thanks dan.

Just how center does the lnb need to be ?
As centered as humanly possible.
quater of a inch low vertical is that cool?
May affect it a bit, Only way to know is try it as is. Then move it and compare.
what is the best way to get elevation
Using a simple level as shown in pic 1. To know what angles you need requires knowing you Latitude and Longetude. Heres a page which will explain declination. Using the Modified Declination angle is recommended. Footprints by Dish Size - Latitude Declination Chart - C/Ku-Band Satellite Listing And a simplification on the angles, at zenith, is shown in pic 2

Attachments

• elev_6-7degrees.jpg
    elev_6-7degrees.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 192
  • polar_mount_pic.jpg
    polar_mount_pic.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 218
Thanks fat fta for the info. the second picture didn't work at least not for me.I hope to get some tv before to long as I have been patiently waiting for over 8 years for c-band.

One thing that i don't understand is that for instance 87w skew is 5.5 for me and 103 is 26 skew am I going to have to skew my lnb for every sat? thanks dan

If you set skew correctly when your dish is at it's zenith (highest look) position, the skew will be automatic as you move up and down the arc.

My true south sat is blocked by trees what is going to be my options getting the ark right? My true south is going to be 83 i;m sure that i can lock on to amc1 @103 so if i lock on what is going to be my options for hitting other birds?

You need to set your 'zero' position to your true south, but you can do it without a satellite. If you can locate the North star in the sky at night, then you can determine the north-south line through your dish in your yard. It is like a geometry problem, if you had geometry in school. I use wooden stakes and string to set a long line, then you have a line to set your dish to point along to straight south. Then set your 'zero'. Move the dish 20 degrees to the west, you should be close to 103W [103 - 83 = 20]. This should get you started. You may have to make small adjustments to get optimum.

Zenith first. If you have had Ku I think you know what that means. Like the others, I can't see the photo of the back of the dish.

Set your declination. The polar mount has a line and the dish face has a vertical line and the declination is the angle at the bottom of a skinny five degree "V".
Anyway, unless the tree has really dense foliage, you might still be able to get a signal off of 83w. Unless you are exactly on 83 west longitude, you will be clicking in the direction of 83 maybe a click or two. Then leave declination alone.

For elevation, I personally like wireless rf headphones (Like fifteen bucks) with the sending unit connected to a "beep on scan" receiver. I have a couple of old Viewsat receivers that have that function. Super easy. You set the receiver on the satellite you are aiming at. You find a hot transponder like on the "List" on this site. Set the receiver on that, make sure the "beep" function is on, and then start moving the dish around by hand until it beeps. Tighten everything where it beeps the most. Ten minutes.

Have never, never, put a dish where I couldn't see my Zenith. It's the first step in aligning a BUD. I don't know why the second picture isn't working, I"m seeing it fine. How much of the arc can you see? What are the limits? Your at 83W, what's the North? How good are you at aligning a fixed Ku dish? Uploaded the picture again, hope it worked. May have to just set your polar angle. move the dish down to the elevation of 103, the work from there.

Attachments

• polar_mount_pic.jpg
    polar_mount_pic.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 150
Thanks for all the input guys. I tryed to get a signal off of 103 today for about three hours to no avail.I'm doing something wrong I get it fine with my 36 inch ku.I got a 6'foot WS1870P model the pole is perfectly level when I put the dish on the pole I can't get the square bar that controls vertical movement level the bolt is not long enough.

So my declination is 6.85 so I cut a 2x4 on a 6.5 miter cut put a straight edge on the back of the ring matched the angle from the square bar to the ring.Idon't know if that is correct or not.

now as far as elevation there are no marks on this dish so I'm shooting for birds blind as a bat.as far as the lnb esx242 some folks are saying the skew 0 should be vertical others say horizontal so I'm just lost and tired .give it another shot tomorrow..

Pictures of what you did. Place text on them. pointing out "the what" you're referring to may help a lot. )EDIT pictures with Paint) Again, because of not being able to see your "south satellite" it's going to be a bit of a trick to get it tracking. An angle finder is going to be needed, because a BUD doesn't have any elevation or declination scales to look at. Even if it did, it only applies at Zentih. I think you've got the dish and the polar axis 6.5° apart for declination. Good. Adjust the polar angle to equal you Latitude +1/2 degree. Then next thing I'd do is use the actuator to tip the dish down so it's aiming at the elevation for the satellite you're looking for. (A-la- a fixed dish.) rotate the mount on the pole til you find it. I am pretty sure the ESX242 lnbf needs the skew mark at 3 or 9 o'clock( I have a DMX242, with the mark at 9 o'clock)(Program the tp's on both polarities and look for each, one will show up and confirm the skew placement) Heres anther page to peruse as it explains tracking. Footprints by Dish Size - Adjusting the Polar Mount for Prime Focus Antenna - C/Ku-Band Satellite Systems - Tuning, Tracking, Azimuth, Elevation, Declination Angles, F/D Ratio, Focal Distance, Inclinometer, LNB/Feedhorn Assembly, Actuator Assembly, C Dishpointer.com is going to be a big help also. It will show what the elevation to the desired satellite is from your location.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)