I need your help in dealing with Dish Network Support

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I have been having an unusual amount of trouble this Fall with Dish Network Tech Support. To describe it as incompetence would be an understatement.

My problem is that after several years my VIP 622 developed hard drive problems. Picture breakup was the symptom, then finally it would reboot continuously.

OK, the first go around, I get a refurbished from Spartanburg, SC and that would be OK with me if it worked, but it didn't. And they have to send out another, and another, and another and now once again #4 fails! Yet these tech guys continue to give me a hard time insisting that the used equipment they send out is perfect, like new. See this thread for details including today's latest bout.

I suppose that they stopped making VIP622's and any hope of a new one is impossible as all they have are broken used 622's that they keep sending out.

I know some of you have had similar problems and got a 722 or 722K new machine to replace the defective equipment. What did you do to achieve that request? The techs I speak with and ask for that upgrade insist they never do that unless I would purchase a new one from a dealer.

I really want a 922 but these are not yet released and I don't expect them, based on the beta report threads to be out for customers like me until next summer. But I'll settle for a 722 or 722K with OTA module now as I'm really getting sick of how I'm being treated by the new breed of techs at Dish Network.

I'm open to all suggestions, except from the D* trolls who would suggest I just quit Dish Network. Ironically, I actually do feel Dish has better equipment, but not the stuff that is broken that they send out to annoy their good and loyal customers.

e mail the CEO address, tell them your a poster here:)

yeah as the boxes age the refubs get worse. once had 5 721s:( all in a row, none working right.

or buy a 722K

Had the same problem with 2 reconditioned 622's.
Told Tech support I must be to stupid to install it correctly and to send a Tech to the house.
Tech was here 45 min. and left me a 722k.
He did mention he was out of 722's that they usually use for replacement.
I have the service plan.
Gave the guy a few bucks and got a upgrade

My 622 started acting up the other day, I called for a replacement and the replacement went out after about 40 minutes. I'm sure the refurbs work for the brief amount of time they test them (if they really do).

Thankfully in my case the orignal 622 started working again.

Once the 922 comes out I'm always going to have 2 DVRs at once in case 1 goes out.

You can dish it up to a 722 for $100, but if you want the 922 with in 12 months you won't be able to get the upgrade price. They told me I would be able to do both since I've been with them for so long, but I didn't want to risk it.

I think in your case, you should explain you're situation and insist they upgrade your 622 and them allow you to purchase a 922.

Thanks for all your support.

I have no problem with the upgrade, even for $100 but I'm now gun-shy about getting another broken box, even after paying Dish for the upgrade. What I had in mind is to do the spare DVR and just purchase a 722K from The Dish Store and activate it as a 3rd DVR on my account. Not sure how much that would add to the monthly but I have AEP and 2 DVR's on my account now.
Someone told me to look at the Dish Home Protection Plan but if you read the fine print, it clearly says they will replace your damaged equipment with used. I don't understand the difference between having a leased Used DVR and a Dish Home PP used DVR other than I pay a monthly charge for the DHPP, which BTW in Florida is an insurance company, 3rd party.

I ran my business on the basis of spares are better than insurance in equipment loss so I'm leaning toward a spare DVR. So if I go that route, which is better leased spare, or purchased spare.

I don't think anyone thought they'd get a "new" receiver as part of DHPP. Some have, but those were exceptions.

With this many failures, has Dish sent anyone out ? When I had the same problem (3 or 4 or 5 622s), they had to rule out "grounding" problems at my house.

I had a 722 that was starting to have hard drive failure symptoms. Dish agreed to upgrade me to a brand new 722k at no cost so long as I would extend my service agreement for two years from that date. Best deal I ever made with them! The 722k is a wonderful DVR. (And yes, I have always been paying for DHPP each month.) So they knew it was going to cost them to send out a replacement 722 anyway, so that helped them justify the no cost upgrade.

ceo @ echostar . com contact them and they will get you taken care of. Explain to them haow much trouble you have had an before you are through you should have a 722k. Be sure to press them for a free module for OTA. Less face it you have been thru DVR hell and are very upset with the badk customer service you have gotten. yada, yada, yada. They will fix things.

Well after the 622 rebooted itself a couple hundred times for 7 hours, it finally took and has been running for the past 2 hours. I quickly offloaded my recordings I hadn't seen yet so now the HD is empty. I also got an email they shipped a replacement overnight. It may arrive tomorrow or Monday. I'll return it just the same if the replacement works, with a note on it that it finally recovered on it's own, but who knows at what state it will be in by the time I have to return it. The strange thing is between reboots, it would sometimes go completely dead for 5-15 minutes, then a green light come on and go out for awhile.

If the replacement is bad, I won't fool around with tech support before sending the e-mail to CEO as you suggested. I've been very patient on this as they just keep digging their case deeper. Pretty hard for them to claim coincidence now that so many were bad right out of the box.

I went through similar problems with a 625 a few years ago. I kept getting refurbished receivers from E* that were garbage. I finally called them and requested a tech come to my house. The guy shows up and I get a new one. In your case the 622 is out of production. I would still request a tech and deal with him and hopefully you can get a 722k. I have two of them and they had a few software or firmware issue to start with but are rock solid now. If you do this make sure you have the DHP first. I am not a big fan on owning the receivers. If I leave Dish I just send them back as they are of no use to me.

Last edited:
Got another refurb in this morning from the Spartanburg, SC location.

It cranked up normally and I checked out the DVR functions and everything seened to work fine. Fingers crossed!

The strange part is this 622 is the same one I sent back as it still had my original shipping labels and same R number. It was one that worked for 2 days and then quit. So we wait and see.

The CSR answered all my questions about the upgrade process. One question I got clarified is why there are so many people who get different deals. Here's the explanation. It works similar to a cell phone upgrade. IN MY CASE- I am now elgible for an upgrade to a 722K for $125, a 722 for 75. If I wait until I use up my current upgrade, I can get the 722K for free! That would be next August. There is no info on the upgrade deals for the 922 yet. If I accept an upgrade for the 722K now and pay the $125 I will be ineligible for an upgrade to the 922 regardless of what it is for an additional 2 years. All upgrades require a 2 year contract extension. If I add a third DVR to my account I would have to Own the 3rd DVR since they do not permit more than two HD DVR's on an account. You can have more than 2 but the #3 and #4 must be owned, not leased. The monthly upcharge for my accountwould be $5.99 for the third HD DVR regardless of it's model, 922, 722K, 722, or 622.

Considering the above info- I have decided to wait and see at this point-
1. If the current Refurb 622 fails soon, I'll opt for the 722K upgrade at $125.
2. If the current 622 lasts, I'll wait until the 922 is out and pay for an upgrade to it. adding a 3rd DVR to my account with an additional monthly charge plus the upgrade fee.

I don't care about the 2 yr extension because I have no plans to switch since after looking at the DirecTV and Comcast deals and equipment they offer, I just can't see moving. The service is higher priced on DirecTV and alot higher on Comcast. and the equipment really sucks on both compared to Echostar receivers and DVR's. I'm not suggesting Echostar is superior for everyone, it just is for me and what I want. So, until anyone can compete with DirecTV for quality of service, price, and equipment features, I don't mind the 24 month contract.

Got another refurb in this morning from the Spartanburg, SC location......

The strange part is this 622 is the same one I sent back as it still had my original shipping labels and same R number. It was one that worked for 2 days and then quit. So we wait and see.

Most likely they just replaced the hard drive in it. I would say a faulty hard drive causes 90% of the problems in the DVRs. The Western Digital is the one I see fail the most.

Yes, Mark, I meant Dish Network. Sorry.

Anyway, here is it Tuesday, Dec 22, just 8 days later and the latest 622 fails! sigh!

I guess this time is the luck of the draw because a nice CSR was very apologetic about all the trouble I've been having and agreed to send me a new 722K with OTA module free! I have to let them put a dollar on a credit card that is to be credited back but wow! Just what I was hoping for. I know some of you will say it's about time! and I would certainly agree. Should have been done after failure #3. Anyway, I look forward to starting fresh with equipment that has not been run through who knows what mill.

I would have liked to get a 922, but after the latest cut back announcements, I'm less excited to wait and should be satisfied with the 722K + OTA module for quite awhile.

peano- What other brands are being used and what do you think holds up the best for DVR service? Also, if you don't mind, what qualifies you to judge? Do you repair these for a refurb facility?

Don do not install the ota module until your dvr has downloaded the latest software. It causes problems with your ota stations if you install it first. I found out the hard way and had to uninstall my ota module and reinstall it because all of my ota channels were having major problems. Besides the directions for the module say to do that way. I just wish I read the directions first.

Good luck on the new 722k! I am glad you got one.:up:up:up

Just remember (I warn people about this every single new model) 922's will be for new activations at first. Existing upgrades will come later, but there are NEVER enough units when a new model is first released to support existing customers off the bat. I don't know why people keep thinking there are.

Mike- Thank you very much for that tip.

Zero- As I said, after Scott's posting of what isn't going to happen in the 922, I'm much less enthusiastic about it now. I don't need the sling built in as I have one that works fine now. Don't need two. When the 922 finally matures, it may offer something beyond the 722K that is meaningful to me. 22

Most likely they just replaced the hard drive in it. I would say a faulty hard drive causes 90% of the problems in the DVRs. The Western Digital is the one I see fail the most.

How do the External Western Digital Hard Drives rate as far as failure?

That is what I purchased for my VIP211 after reading that many are using those here at satellite guys.