I notice in the dbstalk website you can't talk about "moving" but you can here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Because you need to let Directv know EXACTLY where the receivers are located so you get the correct local channels. They are not allowed to provide locals that are not in your DMA unless: They are significantly viewed ones, or you have an waiver for the reception of distant nets. It may not be "illegal" like Scott G. says but it's against FCC rules and you could and should be shut down if you give Directv a phony address for different locals or RSN's. If you want another markets locals rather than your own, simple pack up the dish, receiver and your belongings and physically move to a new home, pretty easy isn't it. Both providers need to clamp down on this sort of dishonest activity as it deprives the local station of advertising revenue in YOUR DMA not some other market. Spotbeams help that a bit by limiting choices to a few hundred miles of said "moved" to market.
The problem with this thinking, is you are saying to continue to support the local DMA with your viewership... So they can succeed, but they are obviously not putting out a product that is wanted. That goes directly against capitalist America. If a local DMA wants the viewership, they need a better product, whether be HD, daytime talk shows, or whatever it is that is holding back. That said, thanks to "take one take all" rule, the channels in any particular DMA should be working together, so that they succeed. Competition would be deadly for them. That's my two cents Atleast.

Reactions: dfergie
I talk about att regularly, when people need help that I can help with, look thru my posts.
Help is ok as long as you don't say or identify yourself as an att employee..they want customers to troubleshoot via controlled channels

I thought it was mandatory for sports packages
Briefly for a year or so.
There may have been a way around that at the time as well.
It was really a stupid idea, the idea of a phone line connected was before people were connecting to the internet, they used the phone line to bill your service for that particular event, it went on your Access Card.
This also allowed you to purchase PPV's with your remote, but you could still call in to order any of the above mentioned without a phone line.
Now days, you can also order online.

Help is ok as long as you don't say or identify yourself as an att employee..they want customers to troubleshoot via controlled channels
Pretty sure, anyone paying attention here knows I work for att ... if you need help with something I work with, I'll be glad to help you or direct you to some place that can.

We have an ATT forum here just like all other providers, questions get asked, I'll answer them if it's something I work with.

Reactions: Broe67
Pretty sure, anyone paying attention here knows I work for att ... if you need help with something I work with, I'll be glad to help you or direct you to some place that can.

We have an ATT forum here just like all other providers, questions get asked, I'll answer them if it's something I work with.
I thought u worked for directtv..

The good ole days had a fee for those who didn't connect their phone lines or Internet to the receiver. Who remembers Dish Networks $5 tv2 receiver fee? That was popular. I have heard DTV had something like a $20 access fee or something of the nature.... Many moons ago dish had a $15-20 fee for a short period of time for no phone line connected. They have learned that was not the best way to do things, so I think both companies have it down pretty well. Account stacking isn't near as big an issue as it once was, so much so that DTV doesn't even follow it. They do go after businesses with that Sunday Ticket pretty heavily though. Makes a good read every post season on the BBB website.

guess you never heard of requiring equipment to be plugged into ethernet or phonelines..
You are not required to keep the equipment plugged into Ethernet, Wifi or phone. Nice try, but no cigar. Some people go as far as pulling the card in the unit, when they leave their Winter or Summer place, so the box cannot be used. I have seen where parents will pull the card, so that their kids cannot watch tv, until the parent approves.

Where are you coming up with this garbage? The ATT & DirecTV employees are ID'd in their replies to a customer. On the Facebook pages.

There's one in every thread. Spare us the pontificating. With all that's wrong in the world today, "moving" a few miles isn't hurting anyone including the local affiliates.
Tell me about it. Advertisers have already paid the station to show the commercials. It would be the same stating that for every tv or radio that is not turned on or tuned in to that channel or station, loses money, because no one hears or sees the advertisement.

The worse thing that has happened to tv, is that they take a program slot and use at least 8-12 minutes to show commercials in. That is why a lot of people prerecord, or mute, to not have to hear that garbage. We have enough noise in our lives.

I remember when you could pick up a magazine and there would be maybe 10 pages total of ad's. Now the magazines have become 99% ad's, 1% of real content.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)