I personally think that in every market, Dish should carry CW, and that it should be included in PTAT.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
It’s probably just wishful thinking but if I wasn’t “moved” I would only get CW from my antenna. But some people want to be honest so therefore won’t “move”, and some also can’t have both a satellite dish and an antenna where they live. I just lucked out at my apartment. CW has some great shows, especially if you are a DC or Archie fan, and it would be awesome if every market was provided CW (and preferably not in 4:3 if it has to be in SD), and it would be awesome if it was included in PTAT. If there’s a market that doesn’t get CW even with an antenna, they should get an out-of-market one. What’s sad is that new subscribers can’t even make up somewhat for it by subscribing to any of the Superstations since they are no longer offered. But like I stated in the beginning, it’s just wishful thinking.

I agree with everything @Edison. I don't watch much CW but it's a growing network and should be offered everywhere as a local and treated like the other networks. It's a relatively new network so maybe in time providers might recognize it more. EVERYTHING should be in HD too.

As a side note I've never used PTAT. However, the first thing my GF did when she converted to Dish was enable PTAT. She says she can't believe something like it was available and now would never live without it. She's a PTAT junkie. Go figure....

I agree with everything @Edison. I don't watch much CW but it's a growing network and should be offered everywhere as a local and treated like the other networks. It's a relatively new network so maybe in time providers might recognize it more. EVERYTHING should be in HD too.

As a side note I've never used PTAT. However, the first thing my GF did when she converted to Dish was enable PTAT. She says she can't believe something like it was available and now would never live without it. She's a PTAT junkie. Go figure....
Me too. Love PTAT.

What is the relative viewership of CW compared to the big four? I think 5 stations would fit on one transponder...

Reactions: MikeD-C05
cw on ptat would be great. nearly all shows i record are on the cw. flash, superman and lois, stargirl, batwoman, charmed..etc... im a huge DC fan :)
I don’t know if I’m misreading this post, but does Charmed have anything to do with DC Comics? I’ve never seen Charmed at either of the comic book stores here in Rochester, MN.

Reactions: pattykay
NO Charmed isn't, but they are classified as fantasy genre ,just like Batwoman and Superman etc.
CW also keeps putting Charmed on the same night (Sunday) as one of the superhero shows (Supergirl or Batwoman). We only got one season with both of those shows (Batwoman and Supergirl) grouped together on the same night. Unfortunately, being on Sunday, that meant a lot of reruns in February, to avoid competing against the Super Bowl, awards shows, etc. This year, that has not been a problem, though. Batwoman and Charmed only had to do a rerun for one week, during the Super Bowl. It has been all new episodes all month since then. :)

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I don’t know if I’m misreading this post, but does Charmed have anything to do with DC Comics? I’ve never seen Charmed at either of the comic book stores here in Rochester, MN.

you aint misreading the post.... charmed isnt part of dc. i just threw in charmed because its one of the shows i record along with the the dc shows. i was never a charmed fan until this new reboot.

im a HUGE smallville / superman fan. that said, i found the new superman & lois tv show quite awesome. lots of potential there to be the cw's number 1 show.

Doesn't Dish record PTAT off of one transponder? Is there even room on the transponder to add CW?
Aren't pretty much all of the major local channels from each market on the same transponder already? Except for the largest markets, which may need to spread out their locals over several transponders to get them to all fit, this should be relatively easy to do. Since PTAT records the entire transponder, and separates out the individual channels / shows later, I always wondered why it did not include more than just the four major networks. Of course, the exact selection of channels included would vary by market. That is likely why Dish chose to strip out the entire rest of the contents of the transponder, and only showcase the four major networks. This would make it easier for marketing purposes, to only advertise the feature as including the same four networks that would be available in every market (even though some markets need fill-in distants to accomplish that).

Since PTAT records the entire transponder, and separates out the individual channels / shows later, I always wondered why it did not include more than just the four major networks.
Do "we" really know this? I always assumed the 4 channels were split out before recording.

Only going on memory - I think it does record the whole transponder and later separates and I think there were discussions early on that more channels could be included if they wanted to since they were doing it like that.

Only going on memory - I think it does record the whole transponder and later separates and I think there were discussions early on that more channels could be included if they wanted to since they were doing it like that.
I always assumed that was speculation. In the absense of anybody who actually knows coming on here, what else do we have to go on? I can think of one thing.

Do we have any way of seeing how much space is consumed by PTAT on disk? If so, IIRC, there are at least 8 HD channels on one transponder. So 8 (or whatever that number is these days) X the time PTAT is acting X the number of days, should yield the space that is being consumed. I can't check this out since I don't sub to sat locals.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Do "we" really know this? I always assumed the 4 channels were split out before recording.
Either way, though, there is nothing stopping them from splitting out more channels before recording them, if they wanted to do so. The purpose of the gimmick of recording four channels, but using only one tuner, was simply to make greater use of the limited number of tuners at the time. Now, with 16 tuners on the Hopper 3, there is really not even any need to have all of the PTAT recordings be on the same tuner at all. Dish could expand the feature to automatically record more channels by using additional tuners, if necessary. Even if there is some unknown hardware limit that restricts PTAT to only four channels from one tuner, those 16 tuners could still record up to 64 channels simultaneously.

I always assumed that was speculation. In the absense of anybody who actually knows coming on here, what else do we have to go on? I can think of one thing.

Do we have any way of seeing how much space is consumed by PTAT on disk? If so, IIRC, there are at least 8 HD channels on one transponder. So 8 (or whatever that number is these days) X the time PTAT is acting X the number of days, should yield the space that is being consumed. I can't check this out since I don't sub to sat locals.
I would assume that after those individual recordings are stripped out of the transponder's recording, the remainder of that transponder's data gets deleted. So, it would no longer be taking up space on the hard drive after that day's PTAT recording window is over, or at least not for very long after that anyway.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)