I Really Can't Stand Tressel Anymore

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Spot on observations Sandra.

Hate it for the Buckeye supporters here, but at least this takes away a near certain BCS debacle.

No shame in losing to this version of Penn State. They are a quality team.

David, IIRC, didn't you say Texas Tech would lose to each one of their ranked opponents?

You said they'd lose four in a row.

Nice pick.

David, IIRC, didn't you say Texas Tech would lose to each one of their ranked opponents?

You said they'd lose four in a row.

Nice pick.

Yes I said it. Just change that pick to 3 in a row.

I watched every play and while Tech is slightly better than what I thought, Kansas is a mediocre team at best.

Here is my take of the Big 12.

1.Texas
2.Oklahoma State
3.Oklahoma
4.Texas Tech/Nebraska

Tech has still not played a top notch club, when they do starting this weekend it will be ugly for the boys from Lubbock.

Big drop off after the top 3.

Yes I said it. Just change that pick to 3 in a row.

I watched every play and while Tech is slightly better than what I thought, Kansas is a mediocre team at best.

Here is my take of the Big 12.

1.Texas
2.Oklahoma State
3.Oklahoma
4.Texas Tech/Nebraska

Tech has still not played a top notch club, when they do starting this weekend it will be ugly for the boys from Lubbock.

Big drop off after the top 3.

Where's Missouri?

Fat chance of that happening Sandra. (By the way, I agree with your assessment of Tressel, given the amount of talent he has there, your team is severely under-achieving).

Hmmm,
Let see, the Bucks were in the MNC game the LAST TWO YEARS, if thats underachiving, so be it.
I think there are about 110 other schools that would like to be good enough to get to play in that game.

Jimbo

Wow, Bashing Tressel..

1 national championship and 2 consecutive title game appearances doesn't get him a pass?

As I recall, Ohio State hired Tressel because they couldn't beat Michigan. Tressel turned that series completely around and everyone is turning on him because he (finally) is having a less than stellar year (7-2 with losses to USC and Penn State) because he is breaking in the QB of the future.

You people are tough. 10-2 would not be good enough for you?

As for "Tim Tebow was an 'inexperienced QB at the helm' of a team whose coach figured out how to use him properly to lethal effect...as a FRESHMAN. I know, I still have the mental scars to prove it after watching that game."

Being a Florida grad, I do not have the mental scars. But, the MVP of that game was Chris Leak. Florida would not have been there with Tebow, who was largely a short yardage QB two years ago. And, Florida had a great defense and special teams that year (in the OSU game, they had a lot of short yardage drives).

Sorry, but you folks are wrong. If you follow the Tebow analogy, Tebow won the Heisman his second year. Tressel is bringing along a young, inexperienced terrfic talent so he will be ready to make a run next year. If I were an Ohio State fan, I would counsel patience.

As a Florida fan, I wish Pryor had not fumbled and Ohio State has won. But, when you blow a game to Ole Miss at home, you just keep your mouth shut.

I guess the Ohio State fans yearn for those pre-Tressel days.

1 national championship and 2 consecutive title game appearances doesn't get him a pass?

As I recall, Ohio State hired Tressel because they couldn't beat Michigan. Tressel turned that series completely around and everyone is turning on him because he (finally) is having a less than stellar year (7-2 with losses to USC and Penn State) because he is breaking in the QB of the future.

As for "Tim Tebow was an 'inexperienced QB at the helm' of a team whose coach figured out how to use him properly to lethal effect...as a FRESHMAN. I know, I still have the mental scars to prove it after watching that game."

Being a Florida grad, I do not have the mental scars. But, the MVP of that game was Chris Leak. Florida would not have been there with Tebow, who was largely a short yardage QB two years ago. And, Florida had a great defense and special teams that year (in the OSU game, they had a lot of short yardage drives).

Sorry, but you folks are wrong. If you follow the Tebow analogy, Tebow won the Heisman his second year. Tressel is bringing along a young, inexperienced terrfic talent so he will be ready to make a run next year. If I were an Ohio State fan, I would counsel patience.

As a Florida fan, I wish Pryor had not fumbled and Ohio State has won. But, when you blow a game to Ole Miss at home, you just keep your mouth shut.

Not everyone. Just Sandra. ;)

Duchen,
Thank you, I've been trying to say the same thing, but no one listens....

There are a few disgruntled OSU fans running in the thread, but most are not Buckeye fans that are posting the negative, however, we are being realistic to a point, I wish Tressel would turn over the play chart card more often ... he does do that from time to time and big plays happen.

I am hoping that Tressel talks with Urban this off season to gain some of the plays that Tebow is running.
I don't think Tressel has enough confidence in Pryor 's passing to cut him loose yet. He's getting better each week, he's made some very good throws, mostly over the middle ... He's also thrown his share of jump balls .

That said, I'm very glad he's here :D He really reminds me a lot of Troy Smith in his first year playing.
We all know how good he turned out to be.

Jimbo

What would you have said if they played that slow boring style of football and WON the last two MNC games ?

Jimbo
I would've said
cursin.gif
willybs.gif
rant2.gif
Big 10!

Disappearing Scars..

"
Being a Florida grad, I do not have the mental scars.
I do recall Florida had their own Moby Dick- winning in Tallahassee, which they didn't do for a while before they eventually do it."

Those scars disappeared when Florida beat FSU to win the 1997 title, 52-30. (Really, the scars I was referring to were from the Title Game 2 years ago; I was tongue in cheek referring to the fact there are no scars because UF won).

My main point is that Tressel is one of the best coaches in the country. Ohio State is 7-2 in a rebuilding year.

As for some of the other comments, Pryor looks like a better athlete than Troy Smith and seems suited to a spread option approach.

Ohio State's problems in the title game versus Florida were that: 1) its OL could not block Florida's DL, which was loaded with guys playing in the NFL (both ends went in the first round) plus fourth round type draftees who made it, too (UF had linedackers and DB's make it in the too, including a first round draft choice, Reggie Nelson); 2) OSU's defense was young; and 3) Florida had southern speed. Last year, LSU had a healthy DL by the title game and a defense loaded with NFL players and a very fast and experienced offense. Typically, when the top calibre southern schools overcome the advantage top calibre Big 10 schools have in the OL, the southern schools win.

OSU lost to USC for similar reasons this year, except it is a young, rebuilding team.

Tressel is not at fault. The amazing thing is that OSU beat Michigan 2 years ago, with all the guys Michigan put into the NFL the last 2 years. Even though OSU was at home, it beat the more talented team. I credit the coaching.

Last edited:
Where's Missouri?

Fair point!

Oversight on my part.

Updated opinion:

1.Texas
2.Oklahoma State
3.Oklahoma
4.Missouri
5.Nebraska/Texas Tech

Not saying Tech doesn't deserve their current ranking. Any Non Big Least BCS School that is undefeated at this point deserves their accolades.

I just think Tech is a good solid team that will be shown to be in over their heads as the schedule toughens.

Last edited:

I've given him a pass for quite a while now, actually. I absorbed the Florida and LSU demolitions as part of competing at this level. Sometimes good teams will beat you. Sometimes badly. I started questioning him after the USC game. That was ugly.

And now this.

You can make the argument that 10-2 is an underachieving year, since so many publications and prognosticators had us in number 1 or in the NCS game again. But I'm not going there...I'm mostly questioning Tressel's in-game decision making.

Keep in mind, I'm STILL not necessarily questioning the losses themselves. Again, that will happen. It's the way we're losing, the penalties, the lack of discipline on the field, the absurd timeouts, the fact that he keeps doing the same thing over and over and over again.

Eventually the pass runs out. Maybe not in Ohio, but here it does.

It's not a question of 10-2 or not 10-2. That's way too simplistic, and sounds like it comes from a person not realy familiar with Ohio State...or a person way too familiar and in 'hero-worship' mode. If we had two losses that were not games thrown away by the coach, I would live with that.

Quarterbacks will fumble. Passes will be dropped. Tackles will be blown. Mistakes will be made, mistakes a coach has only so much control over. But if you actually read my post, I'm concerned with in-game mistakes made by the coaching staff, I suppose mostly by Tressel. This is what bothers me, and makes me feel he's not up to the level the top coaches in the sport.

OK, so you can also question the fact that Tressel took a team that up until around 11PM Saturday night was still in the national title race, and turned it into a rebuilding season by giving the keys to a freshman quarterback (did he attend any classes yet?...I know the academic year at OSU is unusual) and letting a senior, who already took us to a national title game, watch from the bench.

Isn't there a way Tressel could have used both quarterbacks, like Meyer did with Tebow and Leak? Actually, I thought that was the plan all along...I suppose that changed in one game. Or in one quarter.

Didn't Leak have a bad game (or quarter) along the way two years ago? Why didn't Meyer change everything and put Tebow in for good, to rebuild? Leak didn't even have a national title game on his resume like Todd Boeckman does.

For the record, I don't have a problem with Pryor playing over Boeckman. I didn't say that before the game (although I did question if we'd ever see Boeckman again), so I won't say it now. But I do have a problem with everyone labeling this as a rebuilding or transition year all of a sudden. Nobody said that before the season started, so don't say it now.

Ask James Laurinitis if he thought this was a rebuilding or transition year on Labor Day.

Personally I yearn for the days when Tressel played to win, and didn't play 'not to lose'. And when our teams always seemed more prepared than the other teams. And key penalties were called on the other team way more than on our team.

I think Urban Meyer is a jerk, but you can't help but wonder what he could do with this team...

Sandra

OK, so you can also question the fact that Tressel took a team that up until around 11PM Saturday night was still in the national title race, and turned it into a rebuilding season by giving the keys to a freshman quarterback (did he attend any classes yet?...I know the academic year at OSU is unusual) and letting a senior, who already took us to a national title game, watch from the bench.

Isn't there a way Tressel could have used both quarterbacks, like Meyer did with Tebow and Leak? Actually, I thought that was the plan all along...I suppose that changed in one game. Or in one quarter.

Didn't Leak have a bad game (or quarter) along the way two years ago? Why didn't Meyer change everything and put Tebow in for good, to rebuild? Leak didn't even have a national title game on his resume like Todd Boeckman does.

For the record, I don't have a problem with Pryor playing over Boeckman. I didn't say that before the game (although I did question if we'd ever see Boeckman again), so I won't say it now. But I do have a problem with everyone labeling this as a rebuilding or transition year all of a sudden. Nobody said that before the season started, so don't say it now.

Sandra

This I agree with. When Pryor was handed over the keys, after the USC game, I hoped this wouldn't be the last time we saw Boeckman. So far, I've been wrong. With Boeckman under center against PSU, he would probably take more sacks than Pryor, but at least PSU wouldn't be able to crowd the line and instead be forced to respect the pass. By PSU crowding the line, they shut down Beanie Wells maybe for the first time in his collegiate career.

Perhaps the most accurate analysis I’ve heard about TP came from Doug Flutie during the halftime show. Flutie said that right now all of Pryor’s passes look like hail marys. He’s right. Anything over 15 yards is a jump ball.

Now, I'm not blaimnig the freshman, as I expect him to get better. But I do question Tressel not finding a way to utilize both of his QB talents.

I will say this though: Don’t be surprised if Todd Boeckman isn’t under center come Nov. 22nd. Tressell loves seniors, and on Senior Day, it would really surprise me if Todd didn’t get the chance to leave Ohio Stadium on top with another win against Michigan.

This I agree with. When Pryor was handed over the keys, after the USC game, I hoped this wouldn't be the last time we saw Boeckman. So far, I've been wrong. With Boeckman under center against PSU, he would probably take more sacks than Pryor, but at least PSU wouldn't be able to crowd the line and instead be forced to respect the pass. By PSU crowding the line, they shut down Beanie Wells maybe for the first time in his collegiate career.

Perhaps the most accurate analysis I’ve heard about TP came from Doug Flutie during the halftime show. Flutie said that right now all of Pryor’s passes look like hail marys. He’s right. Anything over 15 yards is a jump ball.

Now, I'm not blaimnig the freshman, as I expect him to get better. But I do question Tressel not finding a way to utilize both of his QB talents.

I will say this though: Don’t be surprised if Todd Boeckman isn’t under center come Nov. 22nd. Tressell loves seniors, and on Senior Day, it would really surprise me if Todd didn’t get the chance to leave Ohio Stadium on top with another win against Michigan.

Well that would give MICHIGAN a better chance at the upset. We have had fits defending QB's with "happy feet" like Pryor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)