I REALLY hate to say this out loud (EHD related)

docdaddy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I know as soon as I say this something will change, but for some reason my EHD has not disappeared in the morning for about a week. That's unheard of for me; my EHD goes missing almost every morning, requiring multiple reboots to get back. I've posted about this elsewhere, I've tested multiple brands and types of EHDs, including powered ones, USB powered ports with USB powered ones, just about everything, with no success. And this has been going on for about a year.

Nothing seems to have changed - no H3 new upgrade, no changes at all on my side. Coincidence? I hope not.

Of course as soon as I post this, tomorrow morning it will be gone. ;)

I finally turned my EHDs off. It was too frustrating to fight with them and I haven't had time to watch more than what is on my H3 anyway.

When/if I get caught up I can turn them back on and search them. Everything will be so old it will seem new again. Like the Godfather trilogy for example.

Reactions: HipKat
I have three 1 or 2 TB EHD with external power, which is required and they work fine. Sometime one of them will disappear and I reboot my HWS and there they are again.

Reactions: charlesrshell
And of course, after an unprecedented streak of a week of my EHD being there every morning, today it's gone. Should not have said anything.

And it took 3 full red button reboots to get it back...

And of course, after an unprecedented streak of a week of my EHD being there every morning, today it's gone. Should not have said anything.

I will probably jinks my damn self, but since my H3 got the U522 update on 29 Aug, my EHD has been there every morning. I probably shouldn't have posted! Time will tell. :shh

Well, I spoke too soon on the reboots also - the third did not bring it back, and the next one seems to be in an endless reboot cycle (goes through to the starting up box, then redoes the whole thing.) Argh

Well, I spoke too soon on the reboots also - the third did not bring it back, and the next one seems to be in an endless reboot cycle (goes through to the starting up box, then redoes the whole thing.) Argh
Sometimes I had to do a pull the plug reboot to get the EHD back.

Sometimes I had to do a pull the plug reboot to get the EHD back.

Same here and sometimes it took a couple of those too.

HOWEVER right now I can't get the H3 to come back on! It's in a constant "starting up" then reboot cycle. I just unplugged it, unplugged the OTA module in case that was the issue, replugged it back in, and it's gotten to the "starting up" box but not going any further. Argh!

Same here and sometimes it took a couple of those too.

HOWEVER right now I can't get the H3 to come back on! It's in a constant "starting up" then reboot cycle. I just unplugged it, unplugged the OTA module in case that was the issue, replugged it back in, and it's gotten to the "starting up" box but not going any further. Argh!
Try leaving it unplugged for 30 minutes. If still happening I would say call DISH. Or wait for some more members to respond.

I rarely lose any of my 3 external hard drives that are connected to my 2 hopper3 receivers. However, when I notice a missing drive, I do not reboot the Hopper3. Instead, I unplug the USB cable from the drive. I get the message that a device has been disconnected. I then plug the USB cable back in and the drive reappears in the list of devices. I prefer to do this since it is less stressful to the Hopper3 electronics. Failure of most electronics occur doing power resets.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I rarely lose any of my 3 external hard drives that are connected to my 2 hopper3 receivers. However, when I notice a missing drive, I do not reboot the Hopper3. Instead, I unplug the USB cable from the drive. I get the message that a device has been disconnected. I then plug the USB cable back in and the drive reappears in the list of devices. I prefer to do this since it is less stressful to the Hopper3 electronics. Failure of most electronics occur doing power resets.

Good idea dweber. I will do that next time it happens.

As a matter of comparison, I have had two "bare" hard drives in two different sets of USB Docks (horizontals over verticals) and have never "lost" them in going on two years.. It's the firmware in the "portables" that is the problem.

I have had two "bare" hard drives in two different sets of USB Docks (horizontals over verticals) and have never "lost" them in going on two years.

My WD Greendrive has never disappeared either, and it's gong on two days. :D:D:D

Yeah, that stopped working on mine after one of the updates this year.

As a matter of comparison, I have had two "bare" hard drives in two different sets of USB Docks (horizontals over verticals) and have never "lost" them in going on two years.. It's the firmware in the "portables" that is the problem.

What's frustrating is I'm using the WD external desktop HD that is one of top Dish recommended. And I know others use it without this issue. I've also tried a plethora of other brands, types, models, etc. with the exact same result.

I'll be interested to see if the new Hopper 3 they replaced my bricked one has the same issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts