I really really enjoyed District 9

Mojo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I went to the 1:30PM first showing of District 9 and the house was 95% full, everyone seem to have been enjoying themselves. The story telling, special effects/CGI were all outstanding.

Best movie that I have seen this year, nothing else comes close:)

I saw this too, had a slow day at work.

TBH it started a bit differently then I thought, but it was a very good movie and was honestly surprised how well it turned out in the end.

This wasn't a big budget movie and the effects (affects?) were very good and convincing to me at least.

I would recommend this a go see at the theater.

I liked the movie. It was nothing like I expected. The only thing I did not like about it was that there was no explainations. It was like a week in the life of Aliens living in South Africa. I want to know what happened to all the lose ends.

Yeah, District 9 is a sci-fi action movie that didn't insult my intelligence and made me want more unlike *cough* Transformers and G.I.Joe which made me want hours of my life back.

They spent so little money on District 9 which has decent CGI as opposed to G.I. Joe's special effects which still looked meh.

Just saw District 9 this weekend. Theatre was about 1/3 full. Freaking awesome movie.

I def recognized some of the alien tech as reused from the failed Halo movie that the director was originally picked for.

I wasn't very impressed with the story but the effects were good, one thing it did do is reaffirm the image of the callous and racist white south African, holy hell talk about a step backwards.

I wasn't very impressed with the story but the effects were good, one thing it did do is reaffirm the image of the callous and racist white south African, holy hell talk about a step backwards.

Nooo Nooooo

What movie were you watching?

It was not about callous and racist white South Africans. The Black South Africans was just as callous and racist . If anything it was about the callous and racist Human Race.

Edit to add: It was interesting see a Sci-Fi movie set in another part of the world other then America or the UK

Last edited:
Edit to add: It was interesting see a Sci-Fi movie set in other part of the world other then America or the UK
Over the years, my company has gone from bi-national to multinational. I have had the pleasure to work with a number of South Africans, so watching this movie and listening to the accents reminded me of one of our global conference calls. The "hero" even had the same last name as one of the IT guys.

As far as the movie went, I had a good time, as did most of the people around me. There were parts of "District 9" that reminded me of "Braindead", a horror film that Jackson did back in the early 1990s. "District 9" definitely earned its "R" Rating! It was a shame that my friend wasn't able to see this with me, but he had finals to grade.

I think a "District 10" would be well-received, but I hope any sequel keeps the same gritty feel and doesn't get all moneyed-up.

Nooo Nooooo

What movie were you watching?

It was not about callous and racist white South Africans. The Black South Africans was just as callous and racist . If anything it was about the callous and racist Human Race.

Edit to add: It was interesting see a Sci-Fi movie set in another part of the world other then America or the UK

Yes that is the movie I watched and the portrayal was what I saw while the black south africans were cruel they were nowhere near as racist as the whites were. The focus on the black south africans centered more around the supernatural and the conman than racism while the whites spent much of their time using racist terms and threatening along with intimidation and violence and murder.

I do agree it was nice to see it set in a part of the world that has rarely been used for movies let alone a scifi movie.

Yes that is the movie I watched and the portrayal was what I saw while the black south africans were cruel they were nowhere near as racist as the whites were. The focus on the black south africans centered more around the supernatural and the conman than racism while the whites spent much of their time using racist terms and threatening along with intimidation and violence and murder.

I do agree it was nice to see it set in a part of the world that has rarely been used for movies let alone a scifi movie.

The ones that focused on the supernatural were Nigerian not South African. The blacks in that movie were just as exploitative and cruel as the whites.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts