I searched already...please don't flame.....2 receivers

sprinklerguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
I want to jump into HD.....I want to remain with dish....i don't want to pay 1k for a new receiver just so I can record HD...I also don't really want to move my 511 upstairs for recording.

I have dish 500

Can I install the 811 and the 511 to the same TV for the purpose of getting HD when I want to as well as watching the regular signal on the 511 and recording at will?

Is it hard?
Can the installer do this for me?

Thanks in advance

My requirements were same as yours except I have a PVR721 which requires two antenna lines for itself and I added 811 to the same TV. So the installer had to run a third line from the dish. Also, he had to change the dual LNBF to Quad LNBF. I could not find info on "511" on dish web site. I am assuming it is a single tuner DVR and therefore requires only one antenna feed. You probably need only dual LNBF and two antenna lines. If so, you would connect "511" S-video and audio to one of the SD inputs of your TV and 811 would connect to one of HD inputs of your TV (preferably component or DVI). Then you can select between the two receivers from your TV remote.

I have to admit, my installer was puzzled at first and asked "How can I connect two receivers to the same TV ? ". I had to show him that my TV provided 4-SD inputs and 3-HD inputs. it is working very well for me. Hope this helps,

Rajumon

thanks.....

Could I also use the DCI for the 811 and the svid for the dvr?

So I would need two coax from dish to lliving room, 1 to bedroom, 1 to other bedroom. Then from receiver (s) in living room, use DCI./SVID to conrol each receiver.

I sure hope the installer knows what he is doing too!

sprinklerguy said:
thanks.....

So I would need two coax from dish to lliving room, 1 to bedroom, 1 to other bedroom. Then from receiver (s) in living room, use DCI./SVID to conrol each receiver.

I assume you mean DVI? yes you could use the DVI out from the 811 and the SVID form the 510 (PVR). This might get tricky from the remote point of view so you might want to think about a programmable remote like a Pronto.

I am assuming your TV has a DVI input.

sprinklerguy said:
I want to jump into HD.....I want to remain with dish....i don't want to pay 1k for a new receiver just so I can record HD...I also don't really want to move my 511 upstairs for recording.

I have dish 500

Can I install the 811 and the 511 to the same TV for the purpose of getting HD when I want to as well as watching the regular signal on the 511 and recording at will?

Is it hard?
Can the installer do this for me?

I had this same scenario today for my 811 install. I have a 508 in the basement rec room (which is also where my HDTV is). They wanted me to move my 508 upstairs. i told them all we needed was another line to be run from the dish and that i would toggle back and forth between the 811 & 508. When he first got here, he thought the 811 was a PVR and that he didn't think HD content was on Dish500 (wrong on both accounts!!)

It's all hooked up and working fine:
508 hooked up via S-video/Toslink to HT receiver (and RF out still diplexed to master bedroom 2 floors up)
811 hooked up via component video directly to Toshiba 57" RPTV

plus, if i decide to get a 721/522 in the future, i now have 2 sat inputs for the 2 tuner models...all this for $149!!

sprinklerguy said:
thanks.....

To add to what WeeJavaDude said, you need one antenna line for each of the Dish receivers. If you can tell us what type of video inputs your TV has, we can be more specific in our answers. Do you have additional TVs in each of your bedroom you want to hook up to this setup ?. Also, how many Dish receivers are you planning to have? Do not expect all installers to be familiar with the features of latest equipments. More the consumer knows, the result will be more to our liking.

-Rajumon

the tv has 6 or 7 component imputs... 3 svids.....1 dvi....

I plan to have 3 receivers....all separate rooms...so it sounds like I would need 4 lines from dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts