I sure wish I could find a backlit remote control

Francorosso

Original poster
Oct 3, 2016
Alexandria, VA
We recently got Hopper 3 and the new remote control isn't bad, except I can't see it in the dark, which is the way that I watch 99% of my TV. I wonder if there is any backlit remote control out there which would work well with the Hopper 3.
I have a Harmony One in one room of the house and somehow it is not THE solution. Too many swipes and menus to sort through. Too easy to accidentally push the wrong thing. Wife and kids can't figure it out so they don't even use it, etc etc....
My ideal remote would look a lot like 52 but have a back-light. Is this just me or does anyone else wish this was an option? I would gladly pay for it....

Frank

Reactions: jcanavera
Perhaps the Harmony can be set up better. Most find them easier and more intuitive. I rarely had to go beyond the default menu.

Reactions: fbara and DWS44
Because the New CUI is not just a new user interface but all new operating software from the ground up, I'd say that voice and the touch pad would not work on the old CUI... The rest of the buttons might work. Because the numbers are built in to the track pad I'd advise against even thinking about a 50 remote unless you have the new software... ;)

If the 30 second skip don't work, then it is useless.
Select does not work either so you can't even select a recording much less view it and use the skip buttons. The skip buttons do work while in live TV. Yep, the 50.0 remote is useless unless your HWS has the new CUI.

Reactions: Tampa8
I have wondered for many years why Dish does not offer a nice back lighted remote. Several of the cable companies now have one that is motion activated. I used one for several weeks while visiting friends and it was super easy to use.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Give it a little time and you will memorize the layout of the buttons. I have no use for a backlit remote. All it would do for me is waste battery juice.