Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I've been lurking around the forums trying to soak up what I can but I'm still kind of lost. From what I can tell there are misc. broadcasts in the clear that you can recieve with a FTA reciever.

I'm interested in FTA for the 'geek' factor. Any programming recieved is all gravy :). I also want to see if it's worth spending the money on.

What I've trying to figure out is what I need / should spend money on to get started.

Here is what I have and it's usefullness as far as I can tell:

3 Active (until April 30!) Voom recievers - Worthless for FTA
2 Non-subbed D* recievers - Worthless for FTA
1 18" Voom dish pointed at 61.5. - not sure of the usefulness of 61.5 / DBS dish
1 18" d* double LNB dish (1 LNB, 2 hookups) - Might be usefull
1 Dish 500 dish less the pole and LNB - I don't see this as a great asset but the ebay FTA recievers seem to love to bundle this dish with 'em
1 Primestar dish w/o the LNB - I think this big dish might actually be usefull for a 'fixed' dish

When it comes to FTA it seems that bigger is better when it comes to dishes. This is understandable. Some dishes come bundled with a rotator which I assume pans the dish side to side. Is this worth investing in?

My 'game plan' up to this point is to maybe pick up an FTA reciever and rig up the primerstar dish with a D* LNB and probably a KU LNB and get to dish pointing.

Do the FTA recievers have the dish pointing menu like the DBS recievers do? Do I absolutely need to get a sat signal meter when getting started?

Thanks in advance!

Shawn

Shawn,
You seem to have done your home work, the FTA receiver will have a dish pointing screen so its just a case of entering the coordinates of the satellite/TP. and watching for signal quality as you point your dish. So no real need for a meter if you can see your TV : ) You can use your single dish now pointing at 61.5 (see below)

A motor is a great investment but the dish you have may need modified (too heavy), I would start with a receiver and Standard KU LNBF, bag a few satellites then decide if you REALLY need a motor(and maybe a new dish)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=25452

WooHoo - International promo channels! (hehe).

If I can get some Phillipeno (I hope I spelled that right) channels FTA I know at least 1 guy who will be buyng a FTA setup vs keeping Dish around for 1 channel. I saw some audio-only FTA stuff available with a bigger dish. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the response!

Is it worth investing in the rotator up front or should I see what's out there and how much I plan on changing satelites first?

I'm still trying to figure out which reciever to get too. Any reccomendations and why would be appreciated.

Shawn

I would hold off on the rotator/motor for now as you already have a great dish there and it will not fit the motor easily. As for a receiver have a look in the review area here at SatelliteGuys.US (below) member Iceberg just added a new review of what seems to be a first class receiver.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=74

Shawn95GT said:
I've been lurking around the forums trying to soak up what I can but I'm still kind of lost. From what I can tell there are misc. broadcasts in the clear that you can recieve with a FTA reciever.

I'm interested in FTA for the 'geek' factor. Any programming recieved is all gravy :). I also want to see if it's worth spending the money on.
Welcome to the club :) Most of us have FTA receivers for the "fun" factor of you never know what you'll see
What I've trying to figure out is what I need / should spend money on to get started.

Here is what I have and it's usefullness as far as I can tell:

3 Active (until April 30!) Voom recievers - Worthless for FTA
correct
2 Non-subbed D* recievers - Worthless for FTA
correct
1 18" Voom dish pointed at 61.5. - not sure of the usefulness of 61.5 / DBS dish
1 18" d* double LNB dish (1 LNB, 2 hookups) - Might be usefull
1 Dish 500 dish less the pole and LNB - I don't see this as a great asset but the ebay FTA recievers seem to love to bundle this dish with 'em
you can aim these at 119 &/or 91 for the Dish Netowrk & EcpressVu audio channels
1 Primestar dish w/o the LNB - I think this big dish might actually be usefull for a 'fixed' dish
now we're talking :)
When it comes to FTA it seems that bigger is better when it comes to dishes. This is understandable. Some dishes come bundled with a rotator which I assume pans the dish side to side. Is this worth investing in?
The reason the FTA dishes are larger is because the satellites are lower powered...that's why Dish is using the Superdish (because 2 satellites they use are low powered). A motor is a good add on but not needed right away
My 'game plan' up to this point is to maybe pick up an FTA reciever and rig up the primerstar dish with a D* LNB and probably a KU LNB and get to dish pointing.
I would try G10 for the Networks from different parts of the US
Do the FTA recievers have the dish pointing menu like the DBS recievers do? Do I absolutely need to get a sat signal meter when getting started?
not needed. The meter is in the receiver but it takes a little more ffort to aim KU band because of the low power

Ok, I've done some more poking around and now I'm a little confused when it comes to elevation. I've read here that once you set the elevation you'll never touch it again. Does this only apply when using a rotator or is that only for satellites in a given belt?

I look at the settings for G10 and it's like:

Elevation 49.3, Azmuth 199.2, and Skew +15.9

Then say Telstar 5 aka IA5 is:

Elevation 47.8, Azmuth 153.9, and skew -21.5

Why is this? Are the two sats in different belts? Are these two sats mutually exclusive with a motor then (due the the skew)?

Or am I WAY off base and all of this magicly comes into line once the dish is pointed right at my true south sat?

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
Ok, I've done some more poking around and now I'm a little confused when it comes to elevation. I've read here that once you set the elevation you'll never touch it again. Does this only apply when using a rotator or is that only for satellites in a given belt?
correct. With a motor, once you set everything to your true south, the motor does the rest
I look at the settings for G10 and it's like:

Elevation 49.3, Azmuth 199.2, and Skew +15.9

Then say Telstar 5 aka IA5 is:

Elevation 47.8, Azmuth 153.9, and skew -21.5

Why is this? Are the two sats in different belts? Are these two sats mutually exclusive with a motor then (due the the skew)?
easiest way to understand it is, your true south (the satellite that is the same spot as your longitude) will always be the highest in the sky. For me in MN, that is IA6 at 93 (MN is at 93.5 longitude). G10 is much lower due to there in orbit it is. All the satellites orbit the equator so my highest elevation is much lower than yours (IA6 is I think 38 here).
Or am I WAY off base and all of this magicly comes into line once the dish is pointed right at my true south sat?

Shawn
once you are pointed to true south and you want to go to other satellites, the motor basically turns the dish to the spot where that satellite is, taking into consideration elevation, azimuth and skew. Motorized is "set it and forget it"...much easier than "ghetto moving" it like I did when I first got FTA. I hand moved it.

Iceberg said:
once you are pointed to true south and you want to go to other satellites, the motor basically turns the dish to the spot where that satellite is, taking into consideration elevation, azimuth and skew. Motorized is "set it and forget it"...much easier than "ghetto moving" it like I did when I first got FTA. I hand moved it.
When 'hand moving' the dish I assume you still have to mess with the elevation then. This motor is sounding better and better :).

I think I'm going to tlak myself into a CoolSat 4000 Pro to start with and maybe pick up a SG2100 while I'm add it and 'make it fit' onto the Primestar dish as-per the 'destructions' I saw on the forums here.

Now I just need to figure out where I can put the dish and get good LOS sweeping south horizon. 61.5 is rough as it is but the Voom dish is 30' up on an eve with a clear shot is spite of it's 24° or so elevation angle. It might end up in the front yard if I do this - lol.

Shawn

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)