I think my LNB is dead

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
Here's what's wrong...
A few channels are showing the "searching for signal" message. Those channels are CGTN ch 2119, ESPN Deportes ch 466, bein sports Español ch 467, and a few others. I looked up the channels on the transponder maps and they are all on 119 on transponders with even numbers. When I look up the signal strengths, all of the active even transponders on the 119 are 0. When I run the satellite set up, all of the odd/even signals have the check mark, but the 119 even has a red X.

Here's what I think...
I think my LNB is dead, like the title says.

Here's what I think I need...
Amazon product ASIN B006E89F62Am I correct?
I have a "moved" address and don't want to deal with that for something this simple, if that is all it really is.

That would be it, although check to be sure they are both swm or not swm.

Here's what's wrong...
A few channels are showing the "searching for signal" message. Those channels are CGTN ch 2119, ESPN Deportes ch 466, bein sports Español ch 467, and a few others. I looked up the channels on the transponder maps and they are all on 119 on transponders with even numbers. When I look up the signal strengths, all of the active even transponders on the 119 are 0. When I run the satellite set up, all of the odd/even signals have the check mark, but the 119 even has a red X.

Here's what I think...
I think my LNB is dead, like the title says.

Here's what I think I need...
Amazon product ASIN B006E89F62Am I correct?
I have a "moved" address and don't want to deal with that for something this simple, if that is all it really is.

If you’re willing to cough up the money, you could always use an authorized third party service tech.

Have you checked all your RG6 connections - if any are damaged they can give that result as well

Do you have signals from 103 evens? If not, could just be a cable/connector.....

That's why I asked the question. If this is a phase III dish/LNB, then it's a classic case of a faulty cable/connector.

... For non-SWM (like LNB pic you show) it's most likely the multiswitch or connectors/cable, and not the LNB.
but for SWM (only one cable) it's the LNB.

I have checked all of the cable connections and all are tight. The only thing I am not getting is 119, even transponders. Everything else is great.

I have a SWM set up so I definitely linked the wrong thing. I am glad I didn't just order it. If I do have a SWM set up, does it make it more likely that it is the LNB causing the issue?

I still think there's something you are not telling us.
Do you have an SWM LNB (one output from the dish) or an SWM multiswitch (four outputs from the dish to a multiswitch)?
If you have an SWM LNB, what are the signal strengths on 119 odd numbered transponders?

I still think there's something you are not telling us.
Do you have an SWM LNB (one output from the dish) or an SWM multiswitch (four outputs from the dish to a multiswitch)?
If you have an SWM LNB, what are the signal strengths on 119 odd numbered transponders?

If there is something I am not telling you, it is not intentional. There is one output from the dish.
The signal strengths on the 119 odd are 100, 89, 100, 86, 100.

If it is an SWM LNB, one output to the dish, the multiswitch electronics are part of the LNB and the LNB will need replacing. But the signal pattern you report is typical of a cable fault on a non-SWM lnb, hence my comment.

If it is an SWM LNB, one output to the dish, the multiswitch electronics are part of the LNB and the LNB will need replacing. But the signal pattern you report is typical of a cable fault on a non-SWM lnb, hence my comment.
I will post my other conus signals either later tonight or tomorrow from the 99, 101, and 103 to see if you see any other patterns if you would like. I have recordings going on now. When you say cable fault, do you mean that an actual cable has gone bad? Like a piece of coax from the dish to my receiver? That doesn't make sense, why would the rest of it work?

When I look at the Genie Info, it says
Dish Type SL5 LNB
Switch Type SWM LNB
RB/INTL None Selected
SWM Channel Count 8
blah blah blah

Is this what you would recommend?

Yes, with non-SWM LNBs failed odds or evens can be caused by cables because there's four of them coming from the LNB going to either a
multiswitch or a SWM module (as texasbrit pointed out). Barring a failed cable (meaning more likely just the connector at either end, but sometimes
the actual cable) then the multiswitch itself is typically the culprit. However, since your's is SWM it has an integrated switch so you'll need a new LNB.
You can find them for only about $30 on Amazon or eBay.

Yes, since we've established you definitely have an SWM LNB the failure has to be within the LNB itself so you need a new one.

Jeb, do you actually watch programming on the 119 Sat ?
If no you can go with the SWM 3 version which sees the main 3 Sat locations. 99, 101 and 103.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)