I think my vip622 is going to die

Arbution

Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Arbutus, Maryland
I think my VIP622 is going to die SOON. the hard rive is whining in the last week and a restart has not helped. I need advice on replacement. should I buy a used 622, 722K or some newer model with an OTA. I do not want my bill to go up. Also where to buy?

Why buy? Dish will replace a dying receiver. Contact a Dirt member.

What you might want to buy is an external hard drive to copy all your recordings off. Dish charges a minimal amount even if you do not have the monthly service to replace a broken receiver.

I just replaced my old VIP622 with a VIP722k I bought off on the classifieds right here on Satguys. Got a fantastic deal, and it works much better than the old 622. I also now can use a Slingbox adapter if I so choose to do so, and you can't with the 622. I would suggest you go to a 722k also if you purchase. However, it is true that Dish will replace even a purchased receiver with a like model for a small fee. You will still own the replacement receiver. In my case, I wanted an upgraded model, and bought for a price not that much higher than what Dish wanted to replace the 622 with an upgrade model. It is still possible to buy a replacement harddrive, but you can expect to pay at least $95 for the drive alone, if you can find one. You can NOT just use any drive, it has to be one special made for these receivers. Dish will swap the whole receiver for less.

Check with a DIRT tech right on here for particulars if you decide to just swap straight across for another VIP622.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents here but in my experience whining is typically the cooling fan and not the drive, especially if you are still able to use the record functions and have no error message. I'd recommend first removing the cover and unplugging the fan if its an owned unit. Briefly power it up like that and see if the whining stops. If so, replace the fan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts