I thought this would be in bold letters at the top of the page...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Moxlonibus

Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Sticksville WA
What equipment for FTA do I want to steer clear of, if any? And how do I know that the system I am getting will pick up the channels I am wanting?

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!!

There is a lot of different FTA equipment out there, what channels are you wanting? There is no set criteria everybody has FTA for different needs. Some you it as purely a hobby with other TV sources. Some use it as their only TV source. So explain a little bit about what you are wanting and we will be glad to guide you to where you want to go. Plenty of good knowledgeable people on this forum so you have came to the right place.

The short answer is avoid unsupported equipment....for example, you might find a "deal" on a receiver on Fleabay but if it's buggy or poorly designed, you likely wont get any satisfaction if you need FW upgrades or repairs.
As has been posted, before going any further what DO you want? What level of commitment are you willing to give. How much space do you have for dishes....YES, the most rewarding system has dishES.
FTA is more than anything else, a hobby, and the diligent (and fortunate) find A/V entertainment to suit their needs. If you prefer a "plug and play" no tinker service offering (so called) "premium services" 100% of the time, FTA probably isnt for you.
You've probably heard the phrase "size matters", and surely bigger is better is debatable in some things, but in FTA it is a fact of life. For dishes, not less than 39" for Ku reception, and 8' minimum for C band, 10' preferable.....and they need to be motorized, at least the C band dish. You can use multiple Ku dishes/LNBs and get the majority of the programming there.
Next....location, location, location..........a clear view of the southern sky is a must.........horizon to horizon is the optimum, but not many are that fortunate. How low in the southern horizon you need line of sight depends on where you are. The further north, the lower in the southern sky the satellites are. You should evaluate your site and be sure your not investing in something you will have to move to use.
Hope that is some useful food for thought. I always look forward to seeing newcommers join the fold. Hopefully this will pique your interest and you are in a position to explore it further. There are a lot of good folks here always willing to field any questions you can come up with.
Best of luck.

melgarga

Kudos a very well written primer for new comers to the FTA hobby.

mikelib

melgarga

Kudos a very well written primer for new comers to the FTA hobby.

mikelib

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the kind words. As general as his post sounded it seemed he had things to consider he didnt even know existed. I tried to reply with that in mind. I was concerned it came off a bit on the negative side, but felt obliged to point out the efforts necessary for success. I hate to think I had discouraged anyone to join us, hopefully he wont take it that way.

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the kind words. As general as his post sounded it seemed he had things to consider he didnt even know existed. I tried to reply with that in mind. I was concerned it came off a bit on the negative side, but felt obliged to point out the efforts necessary for success. I hate to think I had discouraged anyone to join us, hopefully he wont take it that way.
melgaga
I don't think you scared anyone away, if you don't understand FTA and expect it to be like a subscripton service you will be greatly disappointed. As you so amply pointed out.

I use FTA as an extension of my ham radio and scanning hobby.
mikelib

melgaga
I don't think you scared anyone away, if you don't understand FTA and expect it to be like a subscripton service you will be greatly disappointed. As you so amply pointed out.

I use FTA as an extension of my ham radio and scanning hobby.
mikelib

I dunno....he hasnt been back....yet. Maybe I gave him too much food for thought.....lol

Yes, I'm more of a DXer that a watcher as well. I dont scan HF much anymore, always seems to be the same old drama queens and violators on the band.
Clearly the FCC has been too busy bedding down with 2 way mfgrs and mixing Kool-Aid for greedy politicians and ill-informed citizens to guzzle down to enforce fundamental station operation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.