I Took a DirecT(V) Hit Today!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
While I was at Sam's Club today I was approached by the Direct pizza guys! I was not in too much of a hurry so I took their punchlines. Man were they ever stupid! They were not even capable of selling birthday suits at a nudist colony!!! The woman asked me how do I get my TV programs. I told her, "OTA, FTA and HITS." With a puzzled look she asked, "Is that is DirecTV or Dish?" I replied, "No I have a BUD, a 10 foot Big Ugly Dish!" She went to the fellow coworker looking for help and I soon found out that it was her first day as a pizza lady. Well after running my info past the guy he replied, "Man you need some new equipment!" "NO I DO NOT!" was my response. He was saying how great their stuff is and that he never looses his signal in the rain like I used to with pizza because DirecTV has a lot of satellites up there. I asked him which satellite his dish was pointed at and he had no idea. He had no idea what a SD picture was but said he did not receive HD service. After telling of my sister's DirecTV problems he suggested that she update her equipment. I finally got it out of him that he just has the small pizza dish and says that the smaller the dish the better the thing works! When I told him that my sister had a new LNBF he asked, "What is a LNBF??" I even blurted feedhorn and I still did not get a capeesh from him. I get the feeling that he thinks that a transponder is something on Star Trek!!! He also explained to me how FTA is illegal and that I should not be doing it!!! However they were impressed with my little spew when I told them about some of the stuff up there! Well this is my 25 minutes of fun in a nutshell!!! I headed home with a grin on my face and thinking about what little they know about their product that they are trying to sell! Maybe I should get a job selling pizza!!! :eek:

Had just about the same exact experience at a Sams Club myself. These sales people are completely clueless technologically, which is to be expected. The one who I talked with kept telling me that DirecTV was better than Blu-Ray in terms of picture quality, and needless to say, I had to keep biting my lip. Not one of them knows what FTA actually is, and when some of them hear the term, they try to tell you that you're receiving signals illegally. I would imagine they've been told to say that whenever they hear the term 'FTA', or even whenever someone tells them they get their own satellite TV without the need for a "provider"...

Here is a thread about my Sams Pizza experience. I often go to Sams to buy pizza, but not THAT kind! I like my pizza with lots of vegetables and cheese, but without the contracts and monthly charges... :D

Last edited:
I had simular discussion at a Radio Shack with a cable guy one. He kept telling how great cable was and that satellites systems as we known them are out dated and besides there's nothing up anymore. I looked at him and said "do you have North Dakota hockey on the Fighting Sioux Sports Network?" He said "what's that? I said I didn't think so and walked away and left him mumbling to the sales clerk. ;)

I did not get high tech with these people either but I guess that I should of used terms like thing-a-ma-jig and do-whacky!!! I told them to check out this website to learn about FTA and DirecTV along with most any entertainment service, hardware and media. I also added that any system whether it be FTA, C band, pizza, cable or streaming can have issues that come up and need to be addressed and help can be found here. He acted like DirecTV never has or had any problems with anything!!!... :loco:

i had a run-in with direct tv too, ill never ever never never (still a bad taste in my mouth over those POS's) deal with those idiots again.... they even charged me for services never rendered (i recouped that loss with some heated discussion at dtv)... i had a thread goin in the dtv forum here which i abandoned after deciding some of the customers were as bad as the idiots selling the crummy services... havent been back on that forum since, i stick to this & the fta stuff or related topics

Some great stories , people. It is almost funny how fanatical some of these 'sellers' are over their brand of satellite tv. But that's what they're doing, selling. Selling you a contract, not service, and sometimes will say anything to get that signature. And, true, some of the customers are just as hypnotized about the 'service' they are receiving. The commercials and the print ads I get every week must cost them (and their customers) a fortune.

When we lived in town a guy would drive down the ally about every three months or so and ask me if I wanted him to tear down my BUB and get rid of it for me. I always just said no and let it go. So one time he stopped by and ask me again and and I told him if I tore it down what would I use to watch TV? He started laughing and said those things aren't any good anymore. I said they aren't......then why do I have 112 channels one receiver and 97 on another reciever. He started stutterin' around and I told him I had his license plate number and if he stopped and bothered me again I would call the police. I never seen him after that.

The thing is he wanted me to give him the dish so he could scrap it for cash. As I think back I wonder what he would said if I told him I would sell it to him.

I don't think most of the sales (and even installers these days) have had any technical training, that would be way to expensive, and wages for a trained experienced technician would be higher than they pay. I had one of the northern DSS providers install here (one I used to work part time for) a couple years ago. The fellows that came to do the install were well versed on customer relations and did their best to be friendly and accommodate our directions on where to put the dish, cables, etc. I was surprised how many times they had to call to figure out how to hook up the system though, a basic installation consisting of a dish with two LNBFs , SW44, and power inserter, even though instructions were printed on the box. Then the HDMI wouldn't work on the receiver, they said the TV was at fault... even though the other receiver worked fine on the same HDMI port. They did replace the receiver a week or so later...
I re-aimed the dish after their last visit, it was out pretty bad and had loose bolts on the bracket and switch...

They were intimidated by my dish array outside but gave me the whole schpiel about illegal FTA. I told them the dish was for receiving NASA telemetry. :) I didn't see any point in arguing with them.

C.

Radio Shack guys are told to sell cell phones...and thats about it. Sadly they have changed from what they were when I worked there (mid 90's). But thats for a whole different story :)
I guess when those folks ask me questions like that (be it cell phone, satellite, bank etc) I usually say "already have it" and go move on. Cell Phone is "I'm in a contract" :)

But I guess some people must feel real good about themselves when they talk like that to people when most either havent heard about free to air or they think its stealing because for a few years the two were synonymous with each other :rolleyes:

just droids that all they know is "to watch TV, it's required to pay someone." I remember being in Rshack once, and the salesperson (college student) didn't even know what a TV antenna was used for. Another time, they tried to sell a a guy a 5 watt potentiometer to slow an AC motor. (I had to stop that one.)

Sadly they have changed from what they were when I worked there (mid 90's). But thats for a whole different story :)
Radio Shack became irrelevant about the same time they stopped printing their catalog. They remain a fallback for many important components, but the hired help is no help.

Yeah, I was at Ratshack a couple of months back and was surprised at how little electronics type components they carry now? Only a shadow of what was there 10 years ago and you guys are correct too that the ppl that work there know zip about zilch!

LMAO a pot to slow an AC motor... ignorance is not a virtue...frequency will vary speed on an AC motor, voltage on a DC

im a master motor tech, i would have laughed in his face

Some great stories , people. It is almost funny how fanatical some of these 'sellers' are over their brand of satellite tv. But that's what they're doing, selling. Selling you a contract, not service, and sometimes will say anything to get that signature. And, true, some of the customers are just as hypnotized about the 'service' they are receiving. The commercials and the print ads I get every week must cost them (and their customers) a fortune.
I told a friend of mine 18 months ago to go online to get the service. He called and was sold a bag of junk. Installer showed up with several "things" different from the phone sales person stated. I went online with Dish and got everything I ordered.

just droids that all they know is "to watch TV, it's required to pay someone." I remember being in Rshack once, and the salesperson (college student) didn't even know what a TV antenna was used for. Another time, they tried to sell a a guy a 5 watt potentiometer to slow an AC motor. (I had to stop that one.)
I think I would have enjoyed watching that motor start up at a distance!:eek:

Just a short story from yesterday-I was in the local wallyworld looking for one of those dvd-cleaning disks for my dvd drives, and while I was pondering the meager dvd/cd related merchandise , an older lady asks "which of these do I need to transfer pictures from my computer so I can save them". She was looking at the 'memorex' cds, cd-rws and dvds. Since those are a pet peeve of mine I sort of launched into a rant about the poor quality of memorex-anything, then I noticed a couple of spindles of Sony-branded dvd-rs, and suggested them for reliability and quality. Before I finished with that customer, another lady stops and asks me nearly the same question and how hard it would be to get the disk she used to work in other computers-had to explain all that lol. Shoppers in this country are missing real customer service.

The sad part is we have millions of educated people unemployed yet the GED morons get the jobs.

At Staples today the clerk tells a customer that they have to buy an extended warranty because the item was made in China. :rolleyes:

Im a cable TV installer, and I see a big dish every now and then. I ask them about it of course and they are all surprised that there is still plenty to see on them with an FTA receiver. Tell them about news feeds, international news sources, wildfeeds, etc, and they are surprised there is still anything left to see on them.

Now if I had the room, I could of added maybe 4 more dishes anywhere from 7.5 to 10ft in diameter that they would of gave me for free. Seen three 6ft mesh dishes and just the other day came across two 5ft solid dishes with a C band feedhorn on it. One of them had its own little stand that just sits in the yard.

And I also have my eye on several primestar dishes too :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts