I tried Sling TV at CES 2015, and now I'm cancelling cable

king3pj

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
Now I see why SLING TV won't be on the playstation consoles. They are starting their own ott service Playstation Vue.

Yeah, there is a good chance Sony told Dish they didn't want this service on their platform. They obviously have some relationship because the Virtual Joey is available on Playstation. Sony wouldn't really have any benefit to allowing Sling TV though. Dish makes all the subscriber revenue and it directly competes with their Playstation Vue service.

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
Yeah, there is a good chance Sony told Dish they didn't want this service on their platform. They obviously have some relationship because the Virtual Joey is available on Playstation. Sony wouldn't really have any benefit to allowing Sling TV though. Dish makes all the subscriber revenue and it directly competes with their Playstation Vue service.

Might be why the virtual joey isn't on the Playstation 4 version either. Had it on the Playstation 3 and the original announcement that touted the addition of the virtual joey last year said it would be coming to the Playstation 4 as well. But I bet that we never see that now.

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Supporting Founder
At the time, streaming services were new and unexplored territory. Content owners got wise to the multiple streams pretty quick, since the majority of the money for the streaming services went back to the content owners. Now you will find no service that allows multiple streams/tv outlets without an additional fee. The commonality in all of these is the licensing of the content.
Except for Netflix, which allows TWO simultaneous streams with the basic $8/mo account. And, for only $4 more, allows FOUR streams.

It's not really a stretch that some people here, including myself, feel that this is a reasonable request for SlingTV.

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
I see it as a reasonable request too, but I'm also offering what I feel is a strong possibility why it wasn't.

bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
Now I see why SLING TV won't be on the playstation consoles. They are starting their own ott service Playstation Vue.
That must be what the service that Sony has been talking about for a long time is going to be called I guess. Any word on what their lineup will be?

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
Sounds like the Playstation vue service will NOT have Espn for those of us, who don't like paying for sports we don't watch. This was what I thought DISH was going to do with Sling Tv . Satisfy the non sports fans who wanted a cheaper version of the sat service,but that didn't turn out that way. IF it is really cheaper and allows some dvr like ability with OUT watching commercials , it might be worth it. Sports channels are one of the main reasons we keep having our bills go up each year. If they could eliminate those , the bills should be much cheaper.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
So perhaps Sony's IPTV service will also have restrictions on the number of subscribers they will be allowed? If there are several of these services that come about then you figure 5 million sub limit per service (at least advertisable) would end up being 10's of millions between all of them.

Lue

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 12, 2013
great plains
No way Charlie is going to lay down and let the other internet streaming providers take market share, Sling TV will be the dominate player, and to accomplish that it will be "all hands on deck", Looking for Sling TV, alone, to capture 50 million subs in two years. Take Back TV!

Lue

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 12, 2013
great plains
Sounds like the Playstation vue service will NOT have Espn for those of us, who don't like paying for sports we don't watch. This was what I thought DISH was going to do with Sling Tv . Satisfy the non sports fans who wanted a cheaper version of the sat service,but that didn't turn out that way. IF it is really cheaper and allows some dvr like ability with OUT watching commercials , it might be worth it. Sports channels are one of the main reasons we keep having our bills go up each year. If they could eliminate those , the bills should be much cheaper.
More channel packs are coming, more channels are coming, more mini bundle are coming, you will have your non-sports package. Listen to what Sling TV has "In Store" for you and the many other varied taste. Take Back TV!

http://live.cnet.com/Event/Dish_Network_press_conference_at_CES_2015?Page=0

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
It's not really a stretch that some people here, including myself, feel that this is a reasonable request for SlingTV.
Two words: account stacking.

Until you can come up with a mechanism that insures that stacking isn't happening, there's not much you can do to convince DISH or their content providers that it is a good thing when compared with having three or four accounts at $20/month each.

GaryPen

Supporting Founder
Two words: account stacking.

Until you can come up with a mechanism that insures that stacking isn't happening, there's not much you can do to convince DISH or their content providers that it is a good thing when compared with having three or four accounts at $20/month each.
There already is a mechanism for this. It's called an IP Address.

dangue

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 29, 2007
SF Bay Area
And if my household pays for three streams, how will IP Addresses help distinguish one roommate watching at home, me watching from my phone, and the third watching on a computer at work from me and two other people who don't live together sharing the account to reduce costs? Remember this is supposed to be TV everywhere, so IP limitations aren't going to work so well.

Reactions: harshness

GaryPen

Supporting Founder
And if my household pays for three streams, how will IP Addresses help distinguish one roommate watching at home, me watching from my phone, and the third watching on a computer at work from me and two other people who don't live together sharing the account to reduce costs? Remember this is supposed to be TV everywhere, so IP limitations aren't going to work so well.
Oooooh. Good one.

Retina scans, then?
DNA?
Two guys with keys turning at the same time?

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
IP addresses can easily be adopted using VPN.

When you figure it out, I'm sure an entire industry will be very interested. Until then, at least you understand where the limitation likely comes from.

Character Zero

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 14, 2008
IP and MAC address can both be spoofed. It would be pretty difficult for Dish to know if you are using the stream within the same household.

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
It would be pretty difficult for Dish to know if you are using the stream within the same household.

The Sling TV client could report it's subnet back to the mother ship... If they were different on two clients, then we should assume they are on different networks and shut down the 2nd one. Maybe.

Art7220

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 20, 2004
CA
Claude Greiner,

It'll be available there with a VPN. I'm sure the CEOs of Rogers and Shaw were on the phone with Charlie begging him to geoblock it from Canada. It will also be more popular than Shomi and CraveTV, which are locked to cable customers. Shame because Shomi has Transparent and Jane the Virgin which I don't think airs in Fresno. I'm sure On-Line has it, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)