I wanna cancel my HD package BUT

dhillii

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
Dish CSR says I HAVE to return my leased 811. I don't want to, seeing that I have invested in a Silver Sensor and can get local HD programming in Dallas. I would need the 811 as a receiver w/ Silver Sensor to hook up to my TV to watch HD.

To me, the $10/month is not worth the HD "Programming" package. I understand I can cancel the HD package and recive local HD programming plus HBO HD. Am I correct?

Any suggections to a cheap but effecient HD receiver that I can buy?

Or should I be looking at Directv?

You can buy OTA HD receivers they run $200+, even walmart (see walmart.com) has them ($198 for one of their models). You also might be able to pick up an 811 for less than $200 on ebay. Dish might even sell you an 811 for a reduced price.

They still shouldn't take his 811... What if he wants to add the HD Pak back later if and when they get any new HD channels. Also correct me if I'm wrong, but if you sub to the HBO Premium you only get HBO-HD if you have the HD Pak...

If you are leasing it, as long as you are paying the $5/mo or whatever the fee is, then you should not have to return it (so long as you are not violating any yearly committment you made). I think a lot of times, these CSRs think that the 811 won't work without the HD pak (as there have been other posts to that effect).

I just cancelled my HD Pak as well but my i bought my 811 outright

I have an 811 and do not subscribe to the Dish HD programming package. I do receive the HBO HD channel and local terrestrial HD broadcasts. I do own my 811, it is not leased.

Part of the lease agreement is, if you lease the 811 you must have a minimum of AT60 AND the HD pack.

If you're interested in a HD Set top box, send me an email. I'm in Coppell, and have the one I used before my 811.
Tom in TX

dhillii said:
Dish CSR says I HAVE to return my leased 811. I don't want to, seeing that I have invested in a Silver Sensor and can get local HD programming in Dallas. I would need the 811 as a receiver w/ Silver Sensor to hook up to my TV to watch HD.

To me, the $10/month is not worth the HD "Programming" package. I understand I can cancel the HD package and recive local HD programming plus HBO HD. Am I correct?

Or should I be looking at Directv?

I am in the same boat. E* wants to stick it to ya.

bigthrust said:
I am in the same boat. E* wants to stick it to ya.

I don't think thats fair. As the previous poster said, they make it very clear that paying for the HD pak is required to lease an 811. They don't want to give you a free OTA HD tuner. I don't blame them. You can complain all you want about Dish's channels or picture quality or anything you want, but you can't complain about their pricing - they're the cheapest game in town.

If you don't care about the HD Pack channels.... 200 dollars for a set-top OTA HDTV tuner or 10 dollars a month for the dish box. It would take 20 months to make up the cost.

I own an 811 and I lease one. I cancelled my HD pack about 1 month ago, after my 1 year commitment was up. I was never told I had to return the leased 811.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)