I will never do business with directv again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
guess you would prefer to spend the 20 to 25 dollars a month cable charges you for there alleged free dvr. do the math. at that rate, what you pay cable over a 2-year period is much more than what you pay directv!

and the lease fee is 4.99 which you were paying before the equipment was leased. it was called a mirroring fee or did you forget?

we all know directv engages in shady business deals, especially without a concrete program in place to deal with retention business. all the more reason you should be prepared and do your homework first.

I'm not going to get in an arguing match over this. Like I said above I know I'm getting screwed but am willing to pay the price for NFLST. AS SOON AS the NFL signs with other companies to provide NFLST, I'm gone....(and yes, the NFL learned their lesson by exclusively going to D*. They will be opening it up once the contract is done).

All I'm saying is I agree and support the OP's complaint. The difference between D* and ALL other cable/satellite providers is that with the others you KNOW you're getting screwed up front. It's not until after 90 days or, what 13 years in the OP's case, that you find out from D*.

Email works, but it takes a few days to get around the office for some reason. Don't cancel outright, simply send the email and threaten to cancel, then wait for retention to contact you and they'll have the authority to calm your wallet. It always works better if they reach out to you.

I'm getting two DVRs from Comcast for $24/month. No upfront "lease" fees. This will do until the frenzy over D* subsides and they have to compete. You may want to go to this in the interum, no commitment term.

Glad this one is being put to bed. Oh, what "frenzy over D*" are you talking about. I wasn't aware of any "frenzy" going on???

I'm not going to get in an arguing match over this. Like I said above I know I'm getting screwed but am willing to pay the price for NFLST. AS SOON AS the NFL signs with other companies to provide NFLST, I'm gone....(and yes, the NFL learned their lesson by exclusively going to D*. They will be opening it up once the contract is done).

All I'm saying is I agree and support the OP's complaint. The difference between D* and ALL other cable/satellite providers is that with the others you KNOW you're getting screwed up front. It's not until after 90 days or, what 13 years in the OP's case, that you find out from D*.

They just renewed the contract last year through 2010.

Glad this one is being put to bed. Oh, what "frenzy over D*" are you talking about. I wasn't aware of any "frenzy" going on???

They are getting a rash of new subscribers. When these stop, D* will have to compete, no upfront "lease" fees and no 2 year commitment with high cancellation fees! Won't touch them with a 10 foot pole with their present policies. Within a year there are going to be big changes in TV providers/options.

If I was you I'd be happy with what I got and let it go. You got a real good deal. Your just crying because you couldn't take them to the cleaners like most people try to do. Sure they may have quoted you a better deal but if you don't write all the info down and the persons name down that you talked to, then it's your fault not D*. You forget that they just added all these new HD channels and people been calling like crazy trying to get a deal. I been a sub. to D* for over 10 years also and I had to pay 199.00 for my 2nd HDDVR. And I got no other offers like free channels. And If you go to another provider you will be alot more upset that you did after working with them on the phone. I had cable, Dish and D* all at the same time 3 years ago and D* won hands down except for Voom I had them also. I'd just enjoy what you have. And kick back and wait for more HD.

If I was you I'd be happy with what I got and let it go. You got a real good deal. Your just crying because you couldn't take them to the cleaners like most people try to do. Sure they may have quoted you a better deal but if you don't write all the info down and the persons name down that you talked to, then it's your fault not D*. You forget that they just added all these new HD channels and people been calling like crazy trying to get a deal. I been a sub. to D* for over 10 years also and I had to pay 199.00 for my 2nd HDDVR. And I got no other offers like free channels. And If you go to another provider you will be alot more upset that you did after working with them on the phone. I had cable, Dish and D* all at the same time 3 years ago and D* won hands down except for Voom I had them also. I'd just enjoy what you have. And kick back and wait for more HD.

well you are incorrect in stating that I didnt have this information. I had all of the information. I didnt forget anything and I didnt try taking anyone to the cleaners. I asked for a deal and took what was proposed. Its not in my hands as a customer to make sure that directv is making money on leasing me equipment, I just take what is offered. The problem comes in where they changed things up after the fact.

They are getting a rash of new subscribers. When these stop, D* will have to compete, no upfront "lease" fees and no 2 year commitment with high cancellation fees! Won't touch them with a 10 foot pole with their present policies. Within a year there are going to be big changes in TV providers/options.
Doubt they will take that route anytime soon. With the sub base they have, and its not like it just started growing, they can continue like they are for the foreseable future

Diat,did you contact the better business bureau yet?

I filed a complaint earlier.

here is what I found besides directv having a D rating.

No. of Cmpl Type of Response
2146 Making a full refund, as the consumer requested
340 Making a partial refund
6053 Agreeing to perform according to their contract
389 Refusing to make an adjustment
2667 Refuse to adjust, relying on terms of agreement
0 Unanswered
41 Unassigned
11636Total

so I am not too enthusiastic after seeing that. only 21% of the people that went thru the trouble of doing this were refunded partially or fully. At least they answer. I filled out one of these for a rental car company in california that was mysteriously tacking on a couple of hundred dollars for insurance that was not required. the kicker was that when I originally asked about it they said it was necessary in CA. I was suspicious but was in a rush to mee tthe person that i rented the house from for vacation so I just left. to make a long story short, I called the corporate office for the rental company and verified that those charges were not valid, I then went back to the rental car and demanded my money back. after arguing for about an hour and my threat to tell everyone that walked thru the door about his little scam he gave me my refund for the insurance. So I successfully beat a scam one time, hopefulyl i will be 2-2 but i doubt it.

A ton of those complaints are the results of contract installer issues that were directed at DirecTV; not that they can't improve.

any newbies reading this, while i feel for the guy, this is a rare example of a bad situation one would experience with D* or E* for that matter. Bad stuff gets put on here, good stuff, less so.
Just saying;)

any newbies reading this, while i feel for the guy, this is a rare example of a bad situation one would experience with D* or E* for that matter. Bad stuff gets put on here, good stuff, less so.
Just saying;)

what has directv done to improve the situation? directv cant afford to give me the deal that I was offered? Directv cant allow me to return the equipment and cancel? Directv cant offer me programming credits? Directv cant offer me half credit? Ive offered Directv every opportunity to make this situation better but they refuse. Now I have to resort to avenues like wasting my and directv's time on the phone, the BBB, and passing on this information to others so that they wont have the same thing happen to them. All of this could have been avoided had directv simply said I am sorry about the misunderstanding sir, I will apply that credit on your account right away since that is what was promised to you. I would have been happy with a half credit. Im easy...:)

what has directv done to improve the situation? directv cant afford to give me the deal that I was offered? Directv cant allow me to return the equipment and cancel? Directv cant offer me programming credits? Directv cant offer me half credit? Ive offered Directv every opportunity to make this situation better but they refuse. Now I have to resort to avenues like wasting my and directv's time on the phone, the BBB, and passing on this information to others so that they wont have the same thing happen to them. All of this could have been avoided had directv simply said I am sorry about the misunderstanding sir, I will apply that credit on your account right away since that is what was promised to you. I would have been happy with a half credit. Im easy...:)

and i wasnt trying to discount your situation. Just saying my experiences with D* and E* have been fairly painless. New people reading just this might get a bad taste in their mouth. Be aware sure. But dont go off of just this. In any case, i hope your problem gets resolved. If i were u id probably be mad too:)

and i wasnt trying to discount your situation. Just saying my experiences with D* and E* have been fairly painless. New people reading just this might get a bad taste in their mouth. Be aware sure. But dont go off of just this. In any case, i hope your problem gets resolved. If i were u id probably be mad too:)

Ive said from the beginning that I thought it was a mistake, and that this was not something that I believed to be typical. The problem lies in the fact that directv will not own up to its mistakes. Now I am not sure if directv is changing its policies since it has added new hd channels, but it appears that way since I was never met with the type of attitude that was displayed to me on the phone in the past.

And just to show some balance and that it happens on BOTH sides... here is the Dish Network BBB report (including all the contract installer complaints too)

The BBB processed a total of 9542 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period.Of the total of 9542 complaints closed in 36 months, 4929 were closed in the last year.
Advertising Issues

BBB Definition:

Advertising Issues - Claims alleging print or electronic media advertised claims or practices misrepresent the service or product offer.

Resolved

BBB Definition:

Resolved - The company resolved the complaint issues.

117 - Company resolved

BBB Definition:

resolved - The company resolved the complaint issues.

the complaint issues. The consumer acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.
319 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
Administratively Closed

BBB Definition:

Administratively Closed - The BBB determined that the complaint could not be satisfactorily settled using standard methods of voluntary dispute resolution

21 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.
2 - BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.
1 - BBB determined the company provided proper verification that indicated there was no obligation to resolve the issues of the complaint.
Unpursuable

BBB Definition:

Unpursuable - The company cannot be located or is out of business.

1 - Company is out of business.

Contract Issues

BBB Definition:

Contract Issues - Claim of alleged failure to honor contract or agreement, work performed without authorization, or invalid contract.

Resolved

BBB Definition:

218 - Company resolved

BBB Definition:

463 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
Administratively Closed

BBB Definition:

Administratively Closed - The BBB determined that the complaint could not be satisfactorily settled using standard methods of voluntary dispute resolution

14 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.
2 - BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.
1 - BBB determined that while the company addressed the complaint issues, the complainant was dissatisfied and the matter was outs
ide the BBB Rules of Arbitration

BBB Definition:

Arbitration - Better Business Bureau Dispute Resolution

Billing or Collection Issues

BBB Definition:

Billing or Collection Issues - Claim alleging billing errors, unauthorized charges, or questionable collection practices.

Resolved

BBB Definition:

941 - Company resolved

BBB Definition:

1 - Complaint was settled through BBB mediation

BBB Definition:

mediation - Better Business Bureau Dispute Resolution

1 - Company offered a partial (less than 100%) settlement which the consumer accepted.
2550 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
2 - Company offered a partial (less than 100%) settlement which the consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
Administratively Closed

BBB Definition:

106 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.
17 - BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.
1 - BBB determined the company provided proper verification that indicated there was no obligation to resolve the issues of the complaint.
1 - BBB determined that while the company addressed the complaint issues, the complainant was dissatisfied and the matter was outs

BBB Definition:

1 - The parties could not provide sufficient information to support their positions nor were they agreeable to make reasonable efforts toward resolving the issues of the dispute.

Sales Practice Issues

BBB Definition:

Sales Practice Issues - Claims of alleged sales presentations made in person or by telephone that contain misrepresentations of the product or service, high pressure sales practices, failure to disclose key conditions of the offer, and verbal representations not consistent with written contractual terms or agreements.

Resolved

BBB Definition:

319 - Company resolved

BBB Definition:

791 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
1 - Company offered a partial (less than 100%) settlement which the consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
Administratively Closed

BBB Definition:

37 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.
12 - BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

BBB Definition:

1 - The parties could not provide sufficient information to support their positions nor were they agreeable to make reasonable efforts toward resolving the issues of the dispute.

Delivery Issues

BBB Definition:

Delivery Issues - Claims alleging delayed delivery of ordered merchandise.

Resolved

BBB Definition:

33 - Company resolved

BBB Definition:

94 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
Administratively Closed

BBB Definition:

9 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.

Repair Issues

BBB Definition:

Repair Issues - Claims of alleged incorrect diagnosis of a problem, delay in completion of repair, or inferior workmanship.

Resolved

BBB Definition:

55 - Company resolved

BBB Definition:

181 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
Administratively Closed

BBB Definition:

16 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.
1 - BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

Service Issues

BBB Definition:

Service Issues - Claims of alleged delay in completing service, failure to provide promised service, inferior quality of provided service, or damaged merchandise as a result of delivery service.

Resolved

BBB Definition:

175 - Company resolved

BBB Definition:

315 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
Administratively Closed

BBB Definition:

9 - BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.
18 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.

Customer Service Issues

BBB Definition:

Service Issues - Claims of alleged delay in completing service, failure to provide promised service, inferior quality of provided service, or damaged merchandise as a result of delivery service.

Resolved

BBB Definition:

348 - Company resolved

BBB Definition:

1 - Complaint was settled through BBB mediation

BBB Definition:

mediation - Better Business Bureau Dispute Resolution

1016 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
1 - Company offered a partial (less than 100%) settlement which the consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
Administratively Closed

BBB Definition:

58 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.
4 - BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

Guarantee or Warranty Issues

BBB Definition:

Guarantee or Warranty Issues - Claims alleging failure to honor the terms regarding guarantees or warranties.

Resolved

BBB Definition:

33 - Company resolved

BBB Definition:

55 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
Administratively Closed

BBB Definition:

2 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.
1 - BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

Product Issues

BBB Definition:

Product Issues - Claim alleging a product does not meet the expectations of the complainant, including defective merchandise.

Resolved

BBB Definition:

99 - Company resolved

BBB Definition:

287 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
Administratively Closed

BBB Definition:

19 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.

Refund or Exchange Issues

BBB Definition:

Refund or Exchange Issues - Claim of alleged failure to honor company policy or verbal commitment to provide refunds, exchanges, or credit for products or services.

Resolved

BBB Definition:

195 - Company resolved

BBB Definition:

395 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
Administratively Closed

BBB Definition:

3 - BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.
14 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.

Issue Not Defined
Resolved

BBB Definition:

52 - Company resolved

BBB Definition:

104 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
Administratively Closed

BBB Definition:

2 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.

I filed a complaint earlier.

here is what I found besides directv having a D rating.

No. of Cmpl Type of Response
2146 Making a full refund, as the consumer requested
340 Making a partial refund
6053 Agreeing to perform according to their contract
389 Refusing to make an adjustment
2667 Refuse to adjust, relying on terms of agreement
0 Unanswered
41 Unassigned
11636Total

so I am not too enthusiastic after seeing that. only 21% of the people that went thru the trouble of doing this were refunded partially or fully. At least they answer. I filled out one of these for a rental car company in california that was mysteriously tacking on a couple of hundred dollars for insurance that was not required. the kicker was that when I originally asked about it they said it was necessary in CA. I was suspicious but was in a rush to mee tthe person that i rented the house from for vacation so I just left. to make a long story short, I called the corporate office for the rental company and verified that those charges were not valid, I then went back to the rental car and demanded my money back. after arguing for about an hour and my threat to tell everyone that walked thru the door about his little scam he gave me my refund for the insurance. So I successfully beat a scam one time, hopefulyl i will be 2-2 but i doubt it.

Ahhh...that sheds some light on the issue. Out of over 16,000,000 D* subscribers, they have had 11600 BBB complaints. That's what, less than 0.1% of their customer base? Hell, I wish everyone was 99.9% efficient, especially the government.

Another interesting point that you brought up is the way that you react to not getting your way.
and my threat to tell everyone that walked thru the door about his little scam he gave me my refund for the insurance
This leads me to believe there is a LOT more to this, especially in the way you conducted yourself, then you are telling us and that's fine.

Just remember where you can find sympathy...in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Ahhh...that sheds some light on the issue. Out of over 16,000,000 D* subscribers, they have had 11600 BBB complaints. That's what, less than 0.1% of their customer base? Hell, I wish everyone was 99.9% efficient, especially the government.

Another interesting point that you brought up is the way that you react to not getting your way. This leads me to believe there is a LOT more to this, especially in the way you conducted yourself, then you are telling us and that's fine.

Just remember where you can find sympathy...in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

ah, I figured it wouldnt be long before a directv installer came around.

those 11,600 complaints were in the last 36 months, so in essence, over 300 people a month get pissed off enough to actually go thru the trouble of reporting directv to the BBB. how many times have you reported a company to the BBB? Even a blind man can see thru your BS:cool:

How would you react if a rental car dealership told you that the extra couple of hundred dollars on the bill were for mandatory insurance, that just so happened to not be mandatory, especially since my auto insurance and credit card offered more coverage for free? I guess you are the type of person to fall for something like that. figures. I actually feel bad for not standing outside of that rental car company and telling everyone about the scam that was going on to this day. No telling how many millions of dollars have been scammed out of unsuspecting tourists visiting Los Angeles. But judging by your comments I expect you to side with a crooked operation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)