I will never do business with directv again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diat150

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
Louisiana
I am a long time subscriber to directv, going on 10 years now. I recently wanted to upgrade to HD and also use the movers package, so I called customer retention and worked on a deal to get the hd receiver free, hd dvr for 99 dollars, and also the sunday ticket and premier package thing with the movers connection. the csr also threw in the hd pack free for one year. well I log into my account and see that the bill is 341 dollars, which is way more than what it is supposed to be. I call up and the lady is a total jerk and will not budge. I tell them to cancel and they hit me with the 2 year committment deal. talk about shady dealings. I am steaming right now.

shady dealings aren't anything new with these folks. and i'm sorry you got a raw deal. anymore, i try to email all concerns so i have a record and a paper trail. getting employee id numbers are also a must. i would even go so far as to threaten you are going to tape all future conversations so again you have some sort of documentation.

other than that, i'm not sure what to suggest.

I am a long time subscriber to directv, going on 10 years now. I recently wanted to upgrade to HD and also use the movers package, so I called customer retention and worked on a deal to get the hd receiver free, hd dvr for 99 dollars, and also the sunday ticket and premier package thing with the movers connection. the csr also threw in the hd pack free for one year. well I log into my account and see that the bill is 341 dollars, which is way more than what it is supposed to be. I call up and the lady is a total jerk and will not budge. I tell them to cancel and they hit me with the 2 year committment deal. talk about shady dealings. I am steaming right now.

It could just be a mixup in the billing system - these things do happen, especially when you're doing as much as you did at one time.

Also keep in mind that it's very iffy calling and talking to a CSR - sometimes you just get a bad one and/or one that doesn't know what they're doing. Did you call back to retention the 2nd time? I remember when I got my free HR20, the lady in retention told me to make sure that I called them back specifically if I had any problems because the normal CSR's wouldn't be able to help me.

where are my rights as a customer? if the csr types incorrect information(in this case, leaving out the hd receiver for free) I am already in the 2 year commitment and there is nothing I can do. I even called back and the csr already knew that I spoke with the other csr and started bickering at me right away. so basically I am stuck. as a longtime directv customer I cant believe the shady dealings directv is resorting to. on top of that I cant even receive some of my local ota channels because of the piece of junk hr20 and the way they have it setup so that you cannot scan for channels. man I am pissed off.

It could just be a mixup in the billing system - these things do happen, especially when you're doing as much as you did at one time.

Also keep in mind that it's very iffy calling and talking to a CSR - sometimes you just get a bad one and/or one that doesn't know what they're doing. Did you call back to retention the 2nd time? I remember when I got my free HR20, the lady in retention told me to make sure that I called them back specifically if I had any problems because the normal CSR's wouldn't be able to help me.

this was my 4th time calling since the installation. the guy I originally called and spoke with didnt put none of the credits, so I called and spoke with someone after the installation and got him to put on the credits, but then when I looked at the bill and saw the 341 dollars I called back and the csr was rude, called back again and this one wanted a confrontation from the start. I tried to be reasonable with them, but they insist that i am telling a lie. I can honestly say that I have never been treated like this by any company ever. then to top it off the last csr tried to lie to me. she said the hd dvr was 299 so I said well why did he only charge me 199? she continued the lie saying it was 299 and then I said if it was 299 then why am I only paying 99 and received a 100 dollar credit.

Tell them you are going to Cancel and not pay. You did use a credit card didn't you. I hope you didn't sign the contract without reading it. You'll get a better deal (and DVR) from E*.

Last edited:
Tell them you are going to Cancel and not pay. You did use a credit card didn't you. I hope you didn't sign the contract without reading it.

I did tell them I wasnt going to pay. it didnt help though. the charges go directly to your account, and of course I didnt sign anything because this was over the phone. thats what I am talking about. if the csr makes a mistake you are screwed, just like I was.

Have you had the new equipment installed yet? If not, you should be able to cancel with no problem. Have you talked to the retention department? They are more able to handle problems like yours. Call Directv, when you get the prompt, say "cancel". That will get you to retention. Good luck!

yes the stuff has all been installed, unfortunately. Im not calling back. I just sent a email and hopefully someone will try and work this out. if they dont I will drop down to the minimum programming and just eat the cost until I can cancel while watching my dish network hd.

on second thought I will probably just call and argue with them about it every day until they agree to at least give me credit for what they originally promised.

im not quite sure where this fits into the discussion. can you explain?

Sure. Bad sh*t happens to people. A heck of a lot worse than this. You say you got a raw deal, you probably did. I have seen posts like this on this site now and then. I for one have never had a problem with my dealings with D*. I go into it figuring that I better be real clear on everything and things usually work out ok. But it's not always the case, as I said sh*t happens. But.........
I noticed in your past posts that you have "moved" in the past. I was noting that sometimes karma has it's way. I personally don't have a problem with the "moving" thing but as silly as the rules sometimes are, I would know that I was skirting around them and sh*t has a way of making back. Thats all, just an observation.

Sure. Bad sh*t happens to people. A heck of a lot worse than this. You say you got a raw deal, you probably did. I have seen posts like this on this site now and then. I for one have never had a problem with my dealings with D*. I go into it figuring that I better be real clear on everything and things usually work out ok. But it's not always the case, as I said sh*t happens. But.........
I noticed in your past posts that you have "moved" in the past. I was noting that sometimes karma has it's way. I personally don't have a problem with the "moving" thing but as silly as the rules sometimes are, I would know that I was skirting around them and sh*t has a way of making back. Thats all, just an observation.

so your thinking is that because I "moved" while a customer of dish network, karma came back to get me since I tried to upgrade with directv? thats pretty logical.

im not quite sure where this fits into the discussion. can you explain?

He is thinking that yo did not really move and lied about it to get different locals.

But you must have moved seeing as they came out and did the install.

And do call again and when the automated system answers say cancel service. It will take you right to Customer Retenion. They are there to keep customers from leaving.

Explain to them what happened and see what they can do. If nothing cancel and be sure to return the equipment and the fee should not be that much. Just be ready to do it.

Look at it this way if you change your package to the cheapest one it will still cost about $50 per month so it is cheaper to cancel.

i'm not going to speak for flying j but my interpretation from the post is that maybe you have moved back and forth between dish and directv. or you have ``moved'' several times while a directv sub. and if you have ``moved'' several times as a sub, i could see how this might come back and bite you.

just an observation.....nothing more!

a bunch of people jumping to conclusions when they dont know the whole situation. I was a sub to both dish and directv, and "moved" as a dish sub. now I moved and used the movers connection like anyone else moving would do.

I just think you were very evident in smarting them...and they did't buy it.

This is what I'm talking about:

"I called customer retention and worked on a deal to get the hd receiver free, hd dvr for 99 dollars, and also the sunday ticket and premier package thing with the movers connection."

If you were in a regular upgrade....why did you started with the CANCELATION DEPARTMENT or customer retention?

shady dealings aren't anything new with these folks. and i'm sorry you got a raw deal. anymore, i try to email all concerns so i have a record and a paper trail. getting employee id numbers are also a must. i would even go so far as to threaten you are going to tape all future conversations so again you have some sort of documentation.

other than that, i'm not sure what to suggest.

I hope they nail you for slander.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts