I wonder what would happen if

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ageism

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
I am going to cancel Dish and go to Direct. Not for all the negative reasons expressed on this forum. Though to be honest there some merit to the complaining. My reasons are direct best suits my needs for now. Hope it is not a mistake for I will have a two-year commitment. I know dish will want me to pay off the commitment I have with them and pay for the box to send my 625 back. I have no problem paying off my commitment but do not want to pay to send their receiver back. I also have a 510 that is mine and the problems I see here on this forum dish will claim it and want me to send it back also. So I am wondering what would happen if I cancelled my credit card right before I cancel dish. Tell them I will send a check to pay off the commitment if they send a return box free. Also tell them to get their records straight and leave my 510 alone. I will owe either $180 or $165 depending when I cancel. It might be interesting to see what happens if this is done. Has anyone ever done this before and if so what happened? If I cancel my card I do not see any other means of collecting any money from me except taking me to small claims court, which I see them doing. But I will fix it before that happens.

I'd call before canceling and see what they show the 510 as, if they say you own it, cancel and send back the 625. You will be charged Dish's price (not what you could buy the 625 for elseware) or screw up your credit rating for not paying for the receiver should you try to keep it (legally not the way to go since you do know that it is leased). Canceling your CC does not remove your debt, Dish will send people to collect from you.

I guess I did not make my self clear. I do not want to keep the 625 I just do not want to pay them to get their receiver back.

Dish normally sends a box with return labels for no charge when service is canceled.
As far as the credit card read customer agreement.

I would be carefull with what you do. Canceling and paying off the fee is fine but I wouldn't burn any bridges here. What happens if you absolutely hate D* and want to go back to Dish? They will not let you sign back up with them if you left under the circumstances you talked about.

As far as the credit card, if you get another with the same company they might be able to get that # and charge that one. This happened with my card change when I did that with sirius. What I do now is open a new checking account at my bank that comes with a debit card to use for dish, sirius and others that could make a charge without me knowing or approving it, just make sure you only give out the card # and not the account #. With the new banking laws that started a few weeks ago , if you don't have any money in a account the transaction will not go thru. My bank lets me have as many accounts that I want for free , for now.

Why don't you just pay what you owe to them instead of trying to weasle your way out of their fees. I know that I don't always agree with some of the fees they have but they are still a business. I run a business and it bothers the hell out of me when people only pay what they feel they should pay.

I would be carefull with what you do. Canceling and paying off the fee is fine but I wouldn't burn any bridges here. What happens if you absolutely hate D* and want to go back to Dish? They will not let you sign back up with them if you left under the circumstances you talked about.

Right, you have to pick your battles and know which option is least painful in the long run.

You signed an agreement to return leased equipment at the "... then-current service rates." Your scheming and scamming to avoid your contractual obligation speaks volumes about your moral character.

Why would you go through the trouble of cancelling a CC in an attempt at saving $15.00? All I see is the potential for more problems on your end.

As was said before, call E* and confirm your owned receiver then cancel.

Seems pretty simple.

You signed an agreement to return leased equipment at the "... then-current service rates." Your scheming and scamming to avoid your contractual obligation speaks volumes about your moral character.

Puh-lease, leave your southern moralistic judgmental attitude out of any discussion...

Cancel the 625, keep 510 active on account, get box and return 625 free. They only charge for returning the receiver if you cancel service.
After the 625 has been received by dish then cancel your service.

There's a current thread right now, if true, about calling dish and still getting charged. No matter what they say on the phone they have a system that will not listen because of bad account programming. I've had issues in the past about owned and leased and you can't argue with the computer. They have a separate system for receiver recover that once started does not stop, at least in my dealings and others I've seen. Each time I was charged by mistake and had to spend time calling them after a charge to prove my case to get a refund. like others they kept sending me UPS boxes and a few days later the driver would stop by asking for the receiver. That's why I now have them on debit instead of credit, I only put the money in that account the day before it's due on auto pay.

I am going to cancel Dish and go to Direct. Not for all the negative reasons expressed on this forum. Though to be honest there some merit to the complaining. My reasons are direct best suits my needs for now. Hope it is not a mistake for I will have a two-year commitment. I know dish will want me to pay off the commitment I have with them and pay for the box to send my 625 back. I have no problem paying off my commitment but do not want to pay to send their receiver back. I also have a 510 that is mine and the problems I see here on this forum dish will claim it and want me to send it back also. So I am wondering what would happen if I cancelled my credit card right before I cancel dish. Tell them I will send a check to pay off the commitment if they send a return box free. Also tell them to get their records straight and leave my 510 alone. I will owe either $180 or $165 depending when I cancel. It might be interesting to see what happens if this is done. Has anyone ever done this before and if so what happened? If I cancel my card I do not see any other means of collecting any money from me except taking me to small claims court, which I see them doing. But I will fix it before that happens.

actually you will owe them $210-192.50, the cancellation fee is $17.50 a month now. sorry to be a debby downer there.:(:(:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)