ice how you i got a quiq ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
thank you so much im looking to down size my dish so i could put it on my roof i got a flat roof so it b easy i got trees that cover my sat in the summer

Sometimes the color as well as the make up of the dish make 'em more stealthy.
A solid would not be good. Nor white. See the first dish in my signature. :)
I've seen some pretty, black mesh dishes, but in my opinion that's not how you disappear.

The second dish in my signature is a one-piece, spun Aluminum, perforated.
(actually, it may be a one-piece stamping!)
But the important thing is the color.
It's a dull , flat, pewter (gray).
From any distance, it really blends with the sky.

For mounting ideas, look through the archives (5 years+) for Birdview mounting threads started by Linuxman.
They were low to the roof, and scanned the sky on H-H mounts.
Who knows, while you are out looking, you might find an H-H, too! ;)

Normally, I'd rate mesh dishes below perfs or most solids.
But if you find a stealthy 10' or maybe even 8', and don't plan to run Ku on it, ya might be set. :up

I do agree on 8', if you can't do 10'.
What do you have now, and how happy are you?
Oh wait. You're getting rid of a 12' dish?!!

thanks for the the help ice the roof is a garage 8 footer wont be to big for the roof would it thanks

The issue in this case, is the WIND load on the dish on your roof, not so much the weight of the dish. A dish that size will put 1,000's of pounds of pressure on your roof during a wind storm. It may rip your roof OFF, and your dish may fly away and get smashed.

I don't suggest mounting a dish of this size on a roof, it won't end well. If you still insist to do so, you'd be well advised to call a structural engineer, to check your roof, and engineer a solution with proper bracing that will hold. Even then I personally wouldn't do it.

im thinking of holding the dish with cinder blocks or something not fixing it to the roof

:confused::confused::eek::eek::facepalm

TurtleDish.GIF

You MIGHT be able to do this, but you need to fully understand what you are attempting to do here. Please get a structural engineer involved, as this isn't a small undertaking due to the size of dish you are talking about. If you insist on doing it without one, bolt it down, and WAY over-build the rafter braces. Make sure your lag screws are long, and that every one of them goes into a rafter. Use a lot of roofing tar.

My 10 foot dish is mounted on a pole in the ground, and it has over 900 POUNDS of cement holding it down. My average wind speed around here is between 10 to 20 mph.

I guess this little tidbit was overlooked...
For mounting ideas, look through the archives (5 years+) for Birdview mounting threads started by Linuxman.
They were low to the roof, and scanned the sky on H-H mounts.
He had a bunch of BUDs, all held down by gravity & friction.
Not a lag bolt anywhere to be seen.
Those just create leaks. :).
Linuxman in PM said:
2 BV, 3 ten, and another 3 8 footers iirc
Yes, on his big two story flat roof, all at the same time.

Comments & some options to considder.

900 lbs spread out over 100 sq ft (10x10 ft base) is only 9 lbs/sq ft. Snow load up in these parts is well over that. Think a fully loaded refrigerator is higher than that.
(My BUD is on a floating slab on top of the ground. The slab weighs about a ton. USS (Doug Denhert) Steel BUD)
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Satellite-Roof-Mount looks to be a bit on minimalistic side. 6ft*, Az-El-no actuator and probably removed when not in use as I don't see much, if any, ballast. Winds, look out! Oh yeah, consideration must be for your likely highest winds. *(bigger IS better, sug. 8ft, min.)
A pole up the side is probably the sturdiest method and puts no load on the roof. (fill with sand or cement to minimize resonance vibrations)
Again, if chainsaw gas** is not an option - I'd do this before settling on something 'up in the air' as ground mounted is so much more convenient for working on.
I'd wait for the sun to be on, or close to, the arc and scope out a good place. Sun Outage Calculator
Or if that's too far out, time wise, use this: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.php and calculate or estimate the elevation. (shadows are longer before the sun outage date, shorter during spring-summer)
**Might take a look at what exactly the dish 'sees' now by attaching a video camera to it, aligned with the 'LOS' to see exactly what's in the way. Might only be some minor trimming is needed.
If the current dish can do some of the arc, maybe a 2nd can cover the problematic rest?

ok thanks to all of you i think ill try 6ftr and hold it down like linuxman but instead of cinder blocks ill use a couple bags of cement its on a flat roof that i could walk to it no latter needed the roof of the garage is lower than the house and my land lord said a deck can be built there so it definitely can hold a 6 ftr just dont want to penetrate so i dont so i dont damage the roof

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts