If ala carte was available..........

Chinatown

On Vacation
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Wisconsin
........and you were limited to 10 channels, beyond your locals and RSN, what would they be.

These would be mine.

HD net movies

TCM

TBS

NFL network

NFL red zone

Lifetime Movies ( only because of the threat of divorce)

ESPN

ESPN 2

History

Fox News

Of course, this would be the HD versions.

I really have no use for the rest of the others that we have to pay for.

Curious to see what the rest of you think.

I think if "a la carte" ever came to pass, it would increase our costs and decrease our options. Probably eliminate some of my favorites, such as the Military Channel, so it makes no sense to pick 10 when many of those 10 might no longer be around.

Boy, I sure miss the good old days of c-band ala carte. I purchased every channel that I liked for less than $150 per year. I certainly understand that niché channels could suffer though. For me, cost is not the main issue, but rather, forcing me to subsidize channels that may be offensive to me just to get the one channel that I want. It just don't seem right.

i know for sure i watch Adult Swim, which is Cartoon Network's after dark adult cartoon block, so Cartoon Network, any channel that has a pro wrestling show on it, Speed channel, weather channel, CNN, Fox News (granted i don't care for political bashing, i only watch it for news only), MSNBC (same thing here), CNBC (hey sometimes business news is interesting), local channels of course, Comedy Central, the ESPN networks (ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN classic, ESPNEWS, ESPNU), FSN Southwest, NFL Channel, and MTV & MTV 2 as well as VH1 and E! for something else to look for on TV, G4 just for Attack of the Show, and one of the premium movie channels for movies. that's how my Ala Carte package be if they had it and i was paying for it. and not to mention, locals are a must have for me too.

edit: almost forgot Vs., that would be on the list too.

Last edited:
Once Internet TV becomes a worthwhile alternative,cable and satellite tv will bite the dust..We will have to purchase our 10gig(To handle 4HD TV's) internet connection from one provider and purchase content directly from the content providers web site. There will be no more networks (in the traditional sense) everything will be on demand. Fox News and CNN will charge their continuous news coverage. Local stations will set up websites for local news and sports. ESPN will charge per event rather than charge an outrageous monthly fee.

That's the PPV model

Once Internet TV becomes a worthwhile alternative,cable and satellite tv will bite the dust..We will have to purchase our 10gig(To handle 4HD TV's) internet connection from one provider and purchase content directly from the content providers web site. There will be no more networks (in the traditional sense) everything will be on demand. Fox News and CNN will charge their continuous news coverage. Local stations will set up websites for local news and sports. ESPN will charge per event rather than charge an outrageous monthly fee.

The model you have just predicted has been around since the 1st PPV showed up. That is exactly what PPV was designed around was people would be willing to pay for only what they wanted. Things will change but don't think that it is gonna happen like that. If it were then we would already be a PPV only nation. Local stations already have their own sites to do this. I set one up for streaming their local news playout for 1 of their news programs. It is at some point to be expanded to more of their news shows. Only problems is they have to stop it due to the ads run w/in the show. There is no national agreement (at least w/them) to be able to run the national buy commercials.
BTW I can't pick just 10.

The Science Channel
TCM (Turner Classic Movies)
Boomerang
History
Cartoon Network (Adult Swim)
History International
Showtime
MSNBC
Cinemax
HBO

If this question had been asked two years ago, it would have included many different channels; IMF, SciFi, TNT, USA among others.

The list of channels I have STOPPED watching in recent years due to poor content, too much advertising (Large advertising bugs/flies on the screen etc.) is equally long.

Last edited:
Alacarte isn't and won't be available so this thread is just another dream by an uninformed poster please close it.

way to try to ruin the fun of what we would have if Ala Carte Cable/Satellite TV existed, we all know it won't happen unless the FCC makes it happen (but they would be paid off by cable companies and media companies with cable networks. thus it won't happen). i say keep this thread alive and maybe move it to another section of the forums.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)