If Directv could improve your experince and keep you for life what would do it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If DTV builds a tuner for my HTPC I may actually pay for TV again ;) But I know that will never happen.

Idea, Stop charging HD Access and instead charge the SD users a "Legacy Equipment Fee". :p

They need incentive to upgrade, charging for HD Access is a incentive NOT to upgrade, if you charge more for legacy SD then there would be a incentive to upgrade.
What they need to do is to Bite the Bullet, send out everyone with SD recvrs, a HD recvr and make the change.... however that would cost the company plenty, btw, also do away with the HD fee at the same time, otherwise the SD people would leave in droves when thier bill went up 10 dollars p/m .. and I dont blame the subs if they did leave.

Another thing to look at ... what age demographics are those with only SD at this point ?
Are they older people on fixed incomes or others that just haven't changed ...

Also if they sent HD boxes to all subs that have HD already and happen to have a SD one in spare rooms, that would amount to a smaller portion of the total of SD boxes.

Again, this would cost the company plenty, BUT, If they did this, other companies may follow ...

I know this will not happen, but if they really want to make a statement and Headlines on the Positive side of things .....

Last edited:
What they need to do is to Bite the Bullet, send out everyone with SD recvrs, a HD recvr and make the change.... however that would cost the company plenty, btw, also do away with the HD fee at the same time, otherwise the SD people would leave in droves when thier bill went up 10 dollars p/m .. and I dont blame the subs if they did leave.

Another thing to look at ... what age demographics are those with only SD at this point ?
Are they older people on fixed incomes or others that just haven't changed ...

Also if they sent HD boxes to all subs that have HD already and happen to have a SD one in spare rooms, that would amount to a smaller portion of the total of SD boxes.

Again, this would cost the company plenty, BUT, If they did this, other companies may follow ...

I know this will not happen, but if they really want to make a statement and Headlines on the Positive side of things .....

Well I was at a restaurant not too long ago that had a huge HDTV being fed by a SD DirecTV receiver, looked awful. I guess some people are just plain stupid.

I think providers should impliment a "Customer Experience" policy, if the installer see's they have a HDTV they need to be required to get a HD receiver for it.

just better PQ
once one has seen real HD there's no going back, you just feel cheated.
it's like a playboy mag to a real woman no comparison. :second:

Isn't DirecTV about the only provider not using some sort of compression?? I don't know how they'd produce a better quality picture without the provider providing a better quality picture.

I'd like the AM21 to scan to pick up all locals rather than just the ones in their database. Or better yet an antenna input into the receiver itself to do so.

Isn't DirecTV about the only provider not using some sort of compression??
they are compressing a lot. eye ball test 40-50& loss at least.
I don't know how they'd produce a better quality picture without the provider providing a better quality picture.
got a antenna working for your locals ?
even that picture the best most people can receive is compromised a bit, but much better than any of the big to home providers. if one does not have a antenna your not enjoying your HD TV as much as one can.

they are compressing a lot. eye ball test 40-50& loss at least. got a antenna working for your locals ? even that picture the best most people can receive is compromised a bit, but much better than any of the big to home providers. if one does not have a antenna your not enjoying your HD TV as much as one can.

True. My locals are by far the worse pq hd I have. Very soft. I'm too far away for antenna. On the plus side I think other channels such as ESPN hd has improved dramatically over the past few years.

Isn't DirecTV about the only provider not using some sort of compression?? I don't know how they'd produce a better quality picture without the provider providing a better quality picture.

Every provider uses compression, it varies what type, but they all use it or a few channels would eat up all the allotted bandwidth.

Your OTA channels should look best ... however in many instances, the provider has done a very nice job and doesn't look much different.
Better encoders do a better job, so picture quality continues to improve as long as technology keeps improving.

they are compressing a lot. eye ball test 40-50& loss at least.

got a antenna working for your locals ?
even that picture the best most people can receive is compromised a bit, but much better than any of the big to home providers. if one does not have a antenna your not enjoying your HD TV as much as one can.

Ok, thanks for setting me straight, I don't know why I was under the impression they were not using any compression. I must've been confused with something else...pixels per line perhaps...wasn't Dish Network accused of lowering bandwidth by compressing/limiting these somehow?? I just remember reading some studies years ago proving DirecTV had the best HD picture in the business among the major providers but can't remember the details as to how they proved that.

they are a touch better than Dish. have not kept up but true Fiber was to be the best maybe someone lucky enough to get it can chime in and let us know if it lived up to the hype..

what can be seen with your own private dish(see signature below) have mind blowing PQ.

Your OTA channels should look best ... however in many instances, the provider has done a very nice job and doesn't look much different.
Better encoders do a better job, so picture quality continues to improve as long as technology keeps improving.

OTA will always look better because it is a 2nd generation encoding while DirecTV's feed of the OTA channels are a 3rd generation encoding. The 1st generation encodings of OTA networks one will have to look to C-Band satellite to get them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts