If Dish added 24/7 HD RSN's...

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
For the past few years, the answer to many sports-related questions has been "If you want sports, switch to DIRECTV." Now that Dish has finally added MLB Network, if they were to somehow find room for 24/7 HD RSN's, would there be anything left that would give DIRECTV any significant advantage over Dish? DIRECTV would still have some small advantages like offering NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings, but Dish would still be pretty damn competitive in the sports department and would hold an advantage in non-sports HD programming. Maybe I'm just drinking the MLB Network kool-aid, but I think Dish could really make things interesting in the near future.

You are correct. I realize most people do not care a whole lot about sports. But one of the main reasons people choose satellite over local providers is because of packages not offered by local providers. Many of these packages are the sports packages. They do a lot to bring subs over to satellite that would otherwise choose some bundling offer with their local provider. Because Dish decided to not focus so much on sports, I believe that is one of the reasons why they have been losing subs and not fairing well with DirecTV when it comes to attracting and growing subscribers.

With Dish buying blockbuster and getting into networking, this maybe one of those things that can attract subs away from cable and maybe even Direct. But we will have to wait and see. In the meantime, I am quite convinced that their lack of sports programming, particularly local, is hurting them

I personally am not at all a sports fan. However I believe I am in the minority. For Dish to remain competitive and to make many of my fellow members here happy I am glad they are adding more sports. Full time rsn's in HD would make their competition take notice and Dish would see more subscribers and retain loyal ones that love sports. If they get everything that is available in HD in their lineup things would really be looking up.

I would be just thrilled if they just had their pro/college sports in HD on their RSN. I don't need the talk shows or paid programming in HD, but I do want my local teams in HD when they are scheduled to play and that's not happening. I'm sure commercial accounts would want that too, but i don't know of any bar or restaurant around here that has DISH.

For the past few years, the answer to many sports-related questions has been "If you want sports, switch to DIRECTV." Now that Dish has finally added MLB Network, if they were to somehow find room for 24/7 HD RSN's, would there be anything left that would give DIRECTV any significant advantage over Dish? DIRECTV would still have some small advantages like offering NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings, but Dish would still be pretty damn competitive in the sports department and would hold an advantage in non-sports HD programming. Maybe I'm just drinking the MLB Network kool-aid, but I think Dish could really make things interesting in the near future.

They would need to bring back and put them in HD, the NY RSN's. To give the Largest U.S. Metropolitan Area (combined population of NY, NJ, CT is 32 million alone and not taking into consideration areas in PA, NH OH which border these areas), a reason to want to sub to the service.

I've said it numerous times. If Dish had RSN's in HD 24/7 or even guaranteed HD for games I'd have a heckuva Dish setup. I'm a sports fan but I like the local teams. So NFL ST and MLB EI really do me no good. Also love college hockey and some games are in HD but most arent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)