If I move from Dish - Can I use same cable?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jdsabin1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
Central IA, USA
As the subject implies, I currently have a 4 receiver Dish 500 setup and want to move to an HD setup with three of the receivers. I am still considering Dish and 2 811's and a 921 but after reading this forum for a few hours, it sounds like D* has a better HD lineup and plans to continue to serve their HD customers well (aside from the fact that I find it ridiculous that D*'s HD Tivo is $400 MORE than the Dish 921).

My question anyway is simple (I hope):

Can I use my current two dual-coax lines coming from the current rooftop E* Dish into the house and simply connect those to the D* dish and to D*'s receivers inside the house (2 HD receivers, 1 HD Tivo receiver and one standard non-HD receiver)?

I pray the answer is yes. I was meticulous about how the E* install went three years ago and don't want to redrill holes and all that stuff in our new home.

TIA!

-Jeff

If it's RG6 I don't see why not. But even if you couldn't, all you would have to do is take it out, and have the installer run it the same route.The free install will include any multiswitch you need.

As long as you have the correct cables (RG-6)

I had a bad experience with E* a few years back. They installed us with RG-59 (Yes they actually ran these cables, they took out the pre-existing RG-6 that we had from directv from before because he said it was required to remove ALL existing DTV equipment, which I thought odd, but whatever). Everything was fine for about a year... well not fine but acceptable. We did lose our signal quite often. Anyway after a year, both of our recievers were pretty much fried. THen they told us it would be 80 bucks each to replace them. And that we would need new access cards, at another 80 bucks each. So instead of spending 320 bucks, we switched back to directv and got tivo installed with 3 standard recievers for like 50 bucks. When the guy came out, he told us we had the wrong kind of cables and he ran new ones. Sure enough, they were RG-59 cables, and he told us that causes receivers to malfunction over time.

Then I started working for directv, and learned all about the cable differences.

Anyway, if they gave you the correct RG-6 cables, then yeah, they should be fine. However if they are RG-59, Id have them replaced. It would be more hassle down the road if you didn't.

Thanks guys. Both dual-coax cables are indeed RG-6.

*whew*

Now back to researching the differences in HD receivers and channel selections between both providers. :)

I just got my setup installed today (although I can't activate my programming yet) and I was a Dish subscriber. They used the same mast and the same coax. Basically just hooked up the receivers and put a new dish on the roof.

jdsabin1 said:
Thanks guys. Both dual-coax cables are indeed RG-6.

*whew*

Now back to researching the differences in HD receivers and channel selections between both providers. :)

Just as a note, you may want to look to the future for this, Directv seems to have some exciting content coming out, as for when were not sure, but they do have a high bandwidth sat. going up this summer (anyone with a date) also for hd recievers I loved my Hd 210 before it got taken :( now I dont have one, but that is a good one from my experience and also the Htl Hd from hughes, and people have been talking about a H10-so those three you may want to check out to see if any fits your needs because it has to satisfy you, also I would stay away from the Ts360-Not a good one, you take your chances if you buy that one, but as always let us know how the install goes, and let us know if you have any more questions, but it should be smooth sailing here on this directv ship!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)