If I sign up for my local cable co.'s basic lineup, can I run it through the Voom box

bnl107

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 29, 2004
Allentown, PA
I have NO network OTA channels available to me. That means I have NO ABC, NBC, CBS, or Fox programming. If I order my local cable co.'s basic broadcast lineup, can I run the cable into my Voom box and surf between my locals and Voom's programming seamlessly? Or would I have to switch inputs on my tv every time I wanted to watch them? I did notice a bunch of extra cable inputs on the back of the Voom receiver, so I'm hoping a seamless merge between the two is possible.

Nope!

Think about it. The V* STB is a Sat and and OTA tuner, not a cable tuner. No QAM capabilities.

I called a CSR and was told this works, called another two days later-same answer. They lied it doesn't decode basic cable.

But my Sony HD box for DirecTV does. It's a nice feature when your service is missing many channels.

Even if you got your cable's basic service to work for your locals they still won't be in HD.

Neutron said:
Even if you got your cable's basic service to work for your locals they still won't be in HD.

But atleast I could watch a Simpons episode, my local news, and the Olympics (live) :)

Neutron said:
If you had a QAM tuner you would have a great chance of receiving all of the locals that your cable provider offers just with the basic pack...I hope future VOOM receivers have a built in QAM decoder.

vinnyv07 said:
If you had a QAM tuner you would have a great chance of receiving all of the locals that your cable provider offers just with the basic pack...I hope future VOOM receivers have a built in QAM decoder.

I sent that very question to Wilt and he said no. They have no plans to add QAM to the next Voom boxes.

I went out the next day and bought a Sony HD box and re-subbed to DTV. Can't wait for Voom.

Seawaves said:
I sent that very question to Wilt and he said no. They have no plans to add QAM to the next Voom boxes.

I went out the next day and bought a Sony HD box and re-subbed to DTV. Can't wait for Voom.
Hey Seawaves, your Sony HD Receiver for Directv has a built in Qam tuner? What model is it? Very cool....Did Wilt tell you why they wouldnt include a QAM tuner in the next VOOM receiver? Seems foolish.

vinnyv07 said:
Hey Seawaves, your Sony HD Receiver for Directv has a built in Qam tuner? What model is it? Very cool....Did Wilt tell you why they wouldnt include a QAM tuner in the next VOOM receiver? Seems foolish.

Wilt indicated it would not payoff for them.
My box is a Sony HD-SAT300, there the 200's and 100's on ebay. The 100 has no DVI, though. The PQ is cool it will show the QAM channel snumber but it doesn't list the shows. Still great though.

bnl107 said:
I have NO network OTA channels available to me. That means I have NO ABC, NBC, CBS, or Fox programming. If I order my local cable co.'s basic broadcast lineup, can I run the cable into my Voom box and surf between my locals and Voom's programming seamlessly? Or would I have to switch inputs on my tv every time I wanted to watch them? I did notice a bunch of extra cable inputs on the back of the Voom receiver, so I'm hoping a seamless merge between the two is possible.

You can do this seamlessly with a TiVO. It has an input for satellite and an input for cable/antenna, and the box integrates the two with an integrated program guide. It works really well. You'll have to switch inputs to see content in HD though (the TiVO will convert HD to (very crisp and clear) SD).

Plus, TiVO is only $99 now with their current rebate promo. It's a great deal...

I thought you would have to have the cable co's box to get the HD locals?

Neutron said:
I thought you would have to have the cable co's box to get the HD locals?
One of the cool things about having an HD receiver with a QAM tuner built in is that if you plug the cable line directly into the ANT coax in the back....you will get Analog and all Ch's that are in QAM which are usually local Ch's in HD. VOOM should rethink their position on that. It is clearly a benefit of an HD receiver to have a QAM tuner built in. Alot of new HDTV's have QAM tuners now. Mine doesn't..though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)