If I upgrade to Hopper/Joey, can I use the OTA module AND an EHD?

dukiebluedoc

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
Cave Creek AZ
I currently have 2 TV's in different rooms with 2 receivers (622 and 612). I just added a 3d TV in one of the bedrooms,currently receiving input only from the OTA antenna directly.
My 622 has been acting up of late (frequent random reboots and occasional freezes) and given the newly acquired TV I am thinking seriously of upgrading to the Hopper/Joey setup (Hopper w/Sling + 2 Joeys).
Where I live (Phoenix area) we have a plethora of OTA stations so both my Dish receivers have the OTA integrated and much used for watching and recording.
A quick read through the Hopper w/Sling manual download suggests that the OTA module occupies a USB port,and since the receiver can only utilize one USB port at a time, I would have to either
a)not use an EHD at all
or
b)unplug the OTA every time I want to attach the EHD to transfer or watch recorded shows therefrom.
Is this correct?
If so is there any workaround?
thanks for any advice
Caroline

Hopper has three USB ports. I always have my OTA module connected and regularly have 1-2 EHDs connected to the other ports. Not an issue at all. You can also use a powered USB hub.

Yep. I leave the OTA module plugged directly into the HWS and the EHDs into a powered USB hub. You can have any number of EHDs but the system will only see two at a time.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

thanks for both replies--I was misled by the old limit for receivers addressing attached USB devices=was one,is now two.
A powered USB hub is a good idea.
Caroline

You can use an unpowered USB hub but then you must power only one of those at a time.
I'd recommend using the Sling directly to one of the 3 direct ports.
There can be more than 2 USB drives but only 2 can be directly accessed for content.
The others (limit unknown) can only be use for copying in or out--they are #3 etc.
Removing one of the first 2 does not automatically allow full access to the others.
You can remove one of the first 2 and add another with full access while #3 and higher stay there.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)